Author Topic: Question about Christianity  (Read 502 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Question about Christianity
« on: August 28, 2002, 07:22:59 PM »
ok, the Jews and Muslims dont eat Pork right?

so does the same rule exists in Christianity?

if it doesnt, why was it changed

cuz wasnt Christianity derived in essence from Judaism,

also is circumcision required?

thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Question about Christianity
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 08:31:37 PM »
i dont think eating pork is such a major issue that its worth debating over..

i mean if judaism said dont eat green beans and christians do what the hell is the big deal... does there need to be a super big reason for it.

pork is just another food. we like it u dont so whatever

Pillow

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 09:32:25 PM »
lol i dont know about jews and pork but yes, christians are aloud to eat pork

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2002, 05:34:14 AM »
Great Questions.  I have no problem answering these type of questions, although we've touched on the circumcision question several times.  

Judaism is essentially, God's religion since the beginning of time, and it's had 3 major (and more) stages.. first, you had the abrahamic Covenant, given to Abraham, in which god told him that all of his children were to be circumcised, and therefore, all of god's people in the world would be marked as Abraham's children... That's why circumcision was enacted, because God was teaching his children faith.  

Galatians 3:7

"Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham."

Later, God revealed the second stage of his plan, to Moses.  He told his people who were enslaved in egypt that he would send a prophet to deliver them, and showed them great miracles, because they already had shown their faith to him.  He enacted the Mosaic law, and gave moses the 10 commandments.  ... this was to show his people obedience.  They had faith, now they needed to show obedience.

The third 'stage' (my word) was when Christ arrived.  He was the messiah the jews had been waiting on, even though they didn't realize it.  He was the third 'major' prophet to change judaism.  If you believe christ has died and paid for your sins, then you are spiritually circumsized... because anyone can be physically circumsized but christ is concerned with matters of the heart.  The physical circumcision of Abraham's seed was a test of faith in God, and with the coming of christ, HE is the test of faith in god.  

Paul was asked this question after Christ died, by the galatians, because the Jews were teaching them that they had to circumcised to be saved... and Paul answered:

Galatians 6:12 - As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ.

13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.

14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature"

--------------------------------------------------------

He's saying that anyone can be circumcised, but if you have faith in the atonement of christ, you are a new creature, and are 1 with him, whether you're circumcised, male, female, jew, gentile, black, white, whatever.  

Collosians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

----------------------------------------------

If you have faith in christ, you are one with christ, no matter what you are physically.

----------------------------------------------------------

As far as pork, it's a similar thing.  

Deuteronomy 14: 9

And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

For whatever reason, in this chapter, the lord layed out to Moses the things israel could and couldn't eat.

Later, Jesus pronounced that that was no longer necessary.  I would think it's symbolic, since all the things God forbid ate meat.  It's a huge symbolic lesson in sacrifice... things that live off cud are preserved for humans to eat, things that eat meat are considered sanctified or whatever.  After Jesus was crucified, sacrifice wasn't necessary anymore, so everything went down the tubes.  

Matthew 15:11 (this is Christ talking)

15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man

15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Christ was truly revolutionary, he's sitting right here telling these people that spiritual things are what are important, not the physical things his father enacted centuries ago.  Straight Genius, I think...

Later, Peter had a lesson in the book of Acts, where he was teaching and starving, so the lord sent food and told him to eat... it descended from heaven, and had clean and unclean food in it.  Peter questioned whether he should eat it, and God reprimanded him:

Acts 10:9

9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Since jews don't believe in Christ, they don't follow any of this.  

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2002, 05:44:07 AM »
certain jewish groups (ethiopian ones for one) still eat pork because they were separated when the rule was enforced.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2002, 06:06:02 AM »
^^ Yup.  Certain christians DONT eat pork, too, because they cite Jesus saying he didn't come to eradicate the mosaic law.  

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2002, 01:57:52 PM »
thank you very much Trauma
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2002, 06:12:50 PM »
No Problem