Author Topic: Jesus Christ was not born on Dec. 25  (Read 170 times)

JTSimon

Jesus Christ was not born on Dec. 25
« on: December 25, 2003, 04:47:04 PM »
For those who don't know  ;D

Code: [Select]
Origin
Long before Santa Claus and shopping sprees became nearly synonymous with the winter holiday, Christmas was simply a Christian religious celebration marking the birth of Jesus. The word "Christmas" refers to a mass on Christ's day. It is celebrated on December 25, although many Orthodox Christians celebrate on January 7.

Pope Julius I chose December 25 as Christmas Day in the 4th century, likely in an effort to merge the Roman Saturnalia festival with the Christian holiday. Saturnalia was a winter solstice celebration of Saturn, the pagan god of agriculture.

Sources: CNN, Encyclopædia Britannica

My parents are Orthodox Christians so no gifts/turkey today but we got a cherry pie in the oven  ;D So I'll expect the Santa smilies in enforce until then Overseer  ;D

Trauma-san

Re:Jesus Christ was not born on Dec. 25
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003, 04:49:12 PM »
Yeah, it's just the day we celebrate it, since we don't know the actual date.  Mormons believe that Christ was actually born on Easter, and was resurrected on his birthday.  

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 04:54:54 PM »
Yeah, it's just the day we celebrate it, since we don't know the actual date.  Mormons believe that Christ was actually born on Easter, and was resurrected on his birthday.  

Yeah... I actually heard they can scientifically prove that Jesus was born on April 6, and dies on April 6, whihch would be Easter back then. So who knows. But since no one can agree for sure, we celebrate on December 25, and it's cool because New Years is the next week. Merry Christmas one and all.

Smoke

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 06:00:30 PM »
Well maybe i've studied Roman history/christian religion more (since i'm Italian), but yes, it's just a custom date.

mauzip

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 11:46:55 PM »
on the real, why would you give a fuck about the birth hof someone more than 2 millennia ago :-X

Don Breezio

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 11:49:41 PM »
^^^ ya know in some ways i agree...

ok i get this "he died for your sins" stuff...but ok lets think about this:

man dies is crucified to save our sins
man is resurrected and lives again

people die for their countries all the time...basically jesus was a soldier.

HIPPI

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 12:17:54 AM »

Yeah, but Mormons also make it okay for you to fuck your kids, so their belief on him being born on Easter is probably wrong too.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003, 07:17:50 AM »
on the real, why would you give a fuck about the birth hof someone more than 2 millennia ago :-X

Christians believe that Jesus died for everyone's sins, of all time, before and after he lived and died in Jerusalem.  Christians feel it's important to honor his birth, because they see his birth in bethleham as the most important event of all time, and what enabled the salvation of every human that has ever lived from adam until the world ends.  So his birth, to a christian, is the most important event of all time.  That's why they celebrate it.  

mauzip

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 08:03:10 AM »

Christians believe that Jesus died for everyone's sins, of all time, before and after he lived and died in Jerusalem.  Christians feel it's important to honor his birth, because they see his birth in bethleham as the most important event of all time, and what enabled the salvation of every human that has ever lived from adam until the world ends.  So his birth, to a christian, is the most important event of all time.  That's why they celebrate it.  

I see your point, but do those 2 weeks really matter?