Author Topic: Malcom X by Alex Haley  (Read 157 times)

dexter

Malcom X by Alex Haley
« on: December 26, 2003, 09:55:41 AM »
Who's read it?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re:Malcom X by Alex Haley
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 10:38:16 AM »
Not I. I've read like 4 other books on him but I've had difficulty finding this one, surprisingly.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 11:33:18 PM »
Yes, mind you it was around 10 years ago...before spike lee's film came out...

...you guys ought to read "the Roots" by Alex Haley...brilliant writer...get so involved emotionally with the characters and the history that im sure some of you will be researching further.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 01:08:48 PM »
i read it. it's a damn good book. damn near changed my life if i say so myself (even though i am white). malcolm x was a pretty smart dude, pretty practical. can't say i really felt the first half of the book (before mecca), but the last few chapters were real touching

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 11:19:28 PM »
This book changed my life. Seriously.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 01:33:09 PM »
I tracked this down yesterday, already went through the first 3 chapters.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

infinite59

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 09:49:17 AM »

Yes.  This book changed my life as well.  First, I saw the movie when I was about 14.  I was fascinated at how Malcolm was able to transform his whole life and self-image while incarcerated.  Then later in the movie he went through the greatest of all changes when he accepted the true Islam while in Mekkah.  Mekkah might as well of been Mars to me when I was 14.  I didn't know places like that existed.  Even though I didn't know how, where or when I could ever become a Muslim; from that movie I developed a deep respect and reverence for Islam.

When I finally had had enough of the ignorant, braindead, don't give a fuck lifestyle I'd been living.  I kept trying to get away from it, but couldn't.  Until I finally biult up the courage to accept Islam.

After deciding I wanted to become Muslim I got two books.  The Qur'an and the Autobiography of Malcolm X.  

Since then I've performed the last 2 Ramaddans, made the pilgrimage to Mekkah, and married into a Muslim family (etc.).  Islam is the best system to change one's life and self-image.  It is the religion of the prophets Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad.  Peace be upon them all.  They worshipped one God, One Creator, and ascribed no partners to him.  Allah is one, the eternal, absolute.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:50:24 AM by Ibrahim Islam »

dexter

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 09:47:22 AM »
A good book,read it.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 10:38:13 PM »

Yes.  This book changed my life as well.  First, I saw the movie when I was about 14.  I was fascinated at how Malcolm was able to transform his whole life and self-image while incarcerated.  Then later in the movie he went through the greatest of all changes when he accepted the true Islam while in Mekkah.  Mekkah might as well of been Mars to me when I was 14.  I didn't know places like that existed.  Even though I didn't know how, where or when I could ever become a Muslim; from that movie I developed a deep respect and reverence for Islam.

When I finally had had enough of the ignorant, braindead, don't give a fuck lifestyle I'd been living.  I kept trying to get away from it, but couldn't.  Until I finally biult up the courage to accept Islam.

After deciding I wanted to become Muslim I got two books.  The Qur'an and the Autobiography of Malcolm X.  

Since then I've performed the last 2 Ramaddans, made the pilgrimage to Mekkah, and married into a Muslim family (etc.).  Islam is the best system to change one's life and self-image.  It is the religion of the prophets Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad.  Peace be upon them all.  They worshipped one God, One Creator, and ascribed no partners to him.  Allah is one, the eternal, absolute.

Puhhh...Judaism is better.