Author Topic: future energy problem  (Read 572 times)

Instant_Killa

future energy problem
« on: August 06, 2002, 01:46:26 PM »
According to many sources, fossil fuel will be almost depleted in the next 70-80 years, especially at the rate at which we are using it. The thought has bothered me as things would definately slow down by then, most of the human needs are dependant on the availability of fossil fuels.

For example, for automobiles, petrol aka gas is needed, for factories and power plants, coal in vast amounts is used daily.

The thought has bothered me cause once these fossil fuels are on the verge of depletion, the present fuel sources may not be sufficient to the human people's needs.

I can think of these types of future fuel sources:

1) Solar energy--this will be very useful, however may not be that efficient
2) Nuclear energy--this is very useful once again, however there are big problems involving its waste management...also, the type of practicle physics involving nuclear energy these days is nuclear fission reactions.

It'll take a long time b4 nuclear fusion reactions can be ready to be used and controlled, cause they can produce hell of a lot of energy than just from nuclear fission reactions.
The only downsider to fusion reactions is that so far, they are uncontrollable by man..once they start then they cant stop...so human science will need more time to master that

3) Electricity from dams and water sources---this is an effective method for making electricity, however, its really slow and not that efficient...plus it has its downers...constructing dams causes damage to the environment around it...for example, look at what happened to the answan dam after it was constructed, many fish and wild life were destroyed cause of the dam, most of the water was used up for dam puposes and it changed the fertility of the nearby soil, not that soil is completey useless.

Dams are dangerous as a result cause they fuck the environment

4) Thermal Energy--this is the energy possesed by the oceans in the world, they make electricity from thewarm and cooler sea currents from above and below the oceans

Advantages
OTEC uses clean, abundant, renewable, natural resources. Warm surface sea water and cold water from the ocean depths replace fossil fuels to produce electricity.
Suitably designed OTEC plants will produce little or no carbon dioxide or other polluting chemicals which contribute to acid rain or global warming (the "greenhouse effect"). Extensive research indicates little or no adverse environmental effects from discharging the used OTEC water back into the ocean at prescribed depths.
OTEC systems can produce fresh water as well as electricity. This is a significant advantage in island areas where fresh water is limited.
There is enough solar energy received and stored in the warm tropical ocean surface layer to provide most, if not all, of present human energy needs.
The use of OTEC as a source of electricity will help reduce the state's almost complete dependence on imported fossil fuels.
The cold sea water from the OTEC process has many additional uses, including air-conditioning buildings, assisting agriculture, and growing fish, shellfish, kelp and other sea plants which thrive in the cold, nutrient-rich, pathogen-free water.
Disadvantages
OTEC-produced electricity at present would cost more than electricity generated from fossil fuels at their current costs. The electricity cost could be reduced significantly if the plant operated without major overhaul for 30 years or more, but there are no data on possible plant life cycles.
OTEC plants must be located where a difference of about 40° Fahrenheit (F) occurs year round. Ocean depths must be available fairly close to shore-based facilities for economic operation. Floating plant ships could provide more flexibility.
Although extensive and successful testing of OTEC has occurred in experiments on component parts or small scale plants, a pilot or demonstration plant of commercial size needs to be built to further document economic feasibility.
Construction of OTEC plants and laying of pipes in coastal waters may cause localized damage to reefs and near-shore marine ecosystems.
Some additional development of key components is essential to the success of future OTEC plants (e.g., less-costly large diameter, deep sea water pipelines; low-pressure turbines and condensers for open-cycle systems; etc.).

5)--wind energy is another form of energy that we can use, however its more dependant on the notion of the weather, at times its never windy, and at times it is

6)Bio mass fuels

hoever, once fossil fuels are depleted, it will still be impossible to manage with the above resources, as most of the world's energy needs are fullfilled by fossil fuels

post your thoughts on this topic

peace
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Instant_Killa

Re: future energy problem
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 02:36:43 PM »
very strange at the 0 response, this is an important issue though.

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 09:41:43 AM »
I'm not too worried about it because people are working on more efficient sources of energy. I even heard somethin about feces being a source lol.

But I think once there is a shortage in fossil fuel and the prices rise, we will have no choice, but to move on to a cheaper alternative.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Suga Foot

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2002, 11:23:41 AM »
ok y'all probably wont beleive me on this one, but currently there are 5 countries working on making a fusoin reactor.  I think it's Germany, USA, France, Britain, and Japan.  It should be done in about 50-75 years.  Trust me this is 100% true.

Instant_Killa

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2002, 04:30:57 PM »
ok y'all probably wont beleive me on this one, but currently there are 5 countries working on making a fusoin reactor.  I think it's Germany, USA, France, Britain, and Japan.  It should be done in about 50-75 years.  Trust me this is 100% true.

50-75 years sounds dope enough cause nuclear fusion is the only most powerful energy sourse that causes 0% pollution.

This will be a key factor in contributing to the future energy sources. But the downer is that nuclear ores are non renewable energy sources, however i think man will work a way out and harness this energy.

Thanks for the concern and info man

peace

Liquid-Dogg

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2002, 02:21:40 PM »
America uses 50% of the worlds electricity. ain't that some shit

but anyway, i read that Shell and that other big 'Petrol' company, think it's esso, are joining forces to see if there is a HUGE stock of Oil in the pacific (the reason why they ain't done it yet is cuz it's too deep. but now they got the resources to do it) and they think it could last us 400 years (that's takin in concideration that the demand grows every year)

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 03:52:43 PM »
America uses 50% of the worlds electricity. ain't that some shit

You serious? Unless it can be backed up by facts I really doubt it.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2002, 04:09:51 PM »
We use 50% of the fuel, but per person, like Norway, or some county up there uses like double what we use. But that's because most countries don't use as much gas for cars, and we heavily use it for power plants. Always, I wish it would be sooner, I want to see all the cool stuff we use as an alterative.

Liquid-Dogg

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 07:29:16 AM »

You serious? Unless it can be backed up by facts I really doubt it.

yeah it is tru. but it found it in a newpaper a while ago. look it up, it's VERY likely that it's tru

Sikotic™

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 08:04:35 AM »
Well so much for our attempts of energy conservation lol

THA SAUCE HOUSE

budsmokeronly

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 08:22:50 AM »
If every country consumed as much resources as the US we would need approximately 20 planet earths to meet everyones needs.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2002, 09:41:16 PM »
I bet Las Vegas has a lot too do with that 50%...Also, when they say America, I bet they are counting the whole continent of North America, including Mexico and Canada...Maybe even South America...People like too twist shit nowadays too make it sound worse, so u can never belive what u read or hear, unless u can witness it with your own eyes...PeACe

Sikotic™

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2002, 10:23:11 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me because we consume so much electricity, gas, etc. cause theres so many damn cars.

THA SAUCE HOUSE