Author Topic: Christians.... Explain this pride issue  (Read 321 times)

infinite59

Christians.... Explain this pride issue
« on: August 07, 2002, 10:06:26 AM »
This is no disrespect when I'm asking these questions.  Trauma explained his understanding of the trinity magnificiently in my thread asking about the trinity.  I'm not trying to poke wholes in your argument, but just clear up my frustrations.

My question is...  In the trinity thread.  Trauma makes it a point to say, "Notice God did not say he was proud of Jesus."  And in school I remember this girl that was a strict Christian would always point it out if someone said they were proud of themselves or someone else.

Man, I'm proud of Muslims all the time, I'm proud of the prophet Muhammad, I'm proud of Tech, Doggy, all the Muslims at this board, I'm proud of the great things non-Muslims do as well.  In the Qu'ran it goes into extensive detail about being humble, fasting, and praying, and keeping things in perspective with Allah first.  And to not fall victim to SELFISH PRIDE.  

Yet, to be proud of another, and proud of yourself for doing the right thing, I've never understood why that would be a sin in Christianity.  How ya'll feel about the emphasis Christianity puts on this sin?

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
Re: Christians.... Explain this pride issue
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 10:53:15 AM »
You will also find that I ripped apart Trauma's argument magnificently but oh well

Well, that's must be Trauma's part of Christianity, because I know Catholics (the biggest Christian movement) don't have a problem with pride.

So don't think that it applies for the whole of Christianity
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

infinite59

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 11:19:39 AM »
You will also find that I ripped apart Trauma's argument magnificently but oh well

Well, that's must be Trauma's part of Christianity, because I know Catholics (the biggest Christian movement) don't have a problem with pride.

So don't think that it applies for the whole of Christianity

Word... I had just glanced over Trauma's and hadn't read the whole thing, it was a great argument all around, Trauma's was just more in line with the Islamic perspective.

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 11:27:19 AM »

Word... I had just glanced over Trauma's and hadn't read the whole thing, it was a great argument all around, Trauma's was just more in line with the Islamic perspective.

Coo

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2002, 07:28:46 AM »
First, Jay, you didn't rip apart anyting.  All you said was that their was 1 god, and  the father, son, and holy ghost are seperate.  I agree.  Where is the 'trinity' in that?  If you mean trinity to just refer to the three seperate beings, god, his son, and the holy ghost, than I agree, again.  

Anyways, I think pride is a sin!  Why? Because that's what the bible says.  All through the bible, Pride is not 1nce mentioned in a positive light.  Since we all fall short of perfection, anything we can do is nothing to be proud of, we should all be doing it anyways.  It's really not a big deal, people mean the same thing when they say 'pleased', but I think it's interesting that God said "In Whom I am Well Pleased" instead of "In whom I am proud of".  

First Epistle of John, Chapter 2 verse 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Job 40:12 - Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place.

Psalms 138: 6 Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off.

Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

All through the bible Pleased is used, and "proud" is listed as a sin.  I think maybe the definitions have blurred over the years, though.  I'm just playin' it safe, LOL.  

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 07:54:48 AM »
For your quotes I think proud could mean "conceited or arrogant", "a lack of modesty" etc. as they all reference to peeps being proud of themselves, not of others.  

None of those quotes address people being proud of others, such as their children.

I find it disturbing that you couldn't be proud of your family because they are not perfect.  I'm proud of my brothers for different achievements, they're not perfect, but that is no reason not to be proud of them.

PS. I know I didn't rip anything, it just sounded cool lol

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2002, 08:15:39 AM »
look it up.  Pride is *always* bad in the bible, and it's not used to describe children.  

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2002, 10:36:15 AM »
^
|

That doesn't change what I'm saying

Can you find a quotation where being proud of someone else other than oneself is deemed as negative/a sin?

My point is that in the quotes you put forward the word proud could represent immodesty/arrogance etc. and were all in the context of someone being proud of THEMSELVES.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2002, 03:54:00 PM »
I see what you're saying now.  No, in the bible, it never mentions being 'proud' of somebody.  Just being a "proud" person.  I take that to mean having prideful thoughts about anything, yourself, or other people, but you may interpret it differently.  Peace~

Tecknine

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2002, 04:53:27 PM »
Trauma should be a pastor or something man cuz i never seen someone with more knowledge about christianity

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2002, 05:39:30 PM »
^^ Not really, man, I don't know that much.  I'm a latter day saint, and we all take turns giving talks, and teaching sunday school, and priesthood class and stuff, so most latter day saints are decent at scripture stuff.  People should read the bible, it's really interesting.  It's a beautiful, beautiful book, after reading it, it really lifts you up, and makes you see things clearly.  I have a halfway photographic memory, too, so I can read things, and remember them forever, where most people forget things right after they read them, so that helps.  Peace~