Author Topic: the Bible...  (Read 1133 times)

Nostromoo

• Lil Geezy
  • Ermintrude is my mum
Re: the Bible...
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2002, 02:02:05 PM »

Obviously we're havin a little misunderstanding. Monks do not necessarily have to be of Catholic faith. I was referring to those people who wrote down the various passages which were canonized later on.

Agreed. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

The_Retarded_Moron

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2002, 02:10:18 PM »

It's my opinion that Adam and Eve where not the only people on the Earth at that point. Maybe God spent time experimenting by populating the Earth with different animals such as Dinosaurs and early proto humans before finally deciding on homo-erectus. Man created in his own image with the ability to think and most importantly talk. Maybe he created several humans but chose to place only Adam and later Eve in the garden. Afrer a great deal of thought I have found I cannot believe in macro evolution (micro yes, macro no) so in my opinion all animal species (including for example Neanderthal man and Dinosaurs) must have been created by God at some point.

I just don't know how else to interpret the fact it says God created "man and woman" and instructed them to be "fruitful and multiply" and have "dominion" over all of the animals. Then rested on the seventh day before creating Adam.

So I believe that after the expulsion from Eden, Adam and Eve met up with some of those other humans and we came from there. That's how Seth and Cain could have families even if Adam and Eve didn't have daughters (and it means there was less incest too.)

Do some research ;). Key terms: "Jahwist & Priestly Source". Take care of the historical background in particular. Adam & Eve is not about God - it's about man.

The_Retarded_Moron

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2002, 02:12:17 PM »
I wish my English skills were better :'(

Sikotic™

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2002, 02:36:27 PM »
no. that's a myth. He was most probably born in Nazareth.I had the pleasure(?) to study theology at university for about 3 terms thus I know what I'm talking about.

How was it a myth?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Nostromoo

• Lil Geezy
  • Ermintrude is my mum
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2002, 03:09:44 PM »

How was it a myth?

I'd like to know too because I've never understood why Mary and Joseph would go to Betlehem. Seeing as how Palestine was not at that time under Roman control so I don't quite see how Caeser was planning on taxing the population.

The_Retarded_Moron

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2002, 03:11:46 PM »
Jesus was called "Jesus Nazarenus rex Judaeorum" (Jesus of Nazareth, King of Jews). This title points very highly to Nazareth being his birthplace. In the first century, the Jewish naming convention was to call a man either according to his father's name or according to the town in which he was born. According to many liberal theologists the early Christian writers changed Jesus' birthplace to Bethlehem because they wanted to make it appear that Jesus fulfilled an Old Testament prophecy that the Messiah would come from Bethlehem.

Sikotic™

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2002, 08:13:41 PM »
Jesus was called "Jesus Nazarenus rex Judaeorum" (Jesus of Nazareth, King of Jews). This title points very highly to Nazareth being his birthplace. In the first century, the Jewish naming convention was to call a man either according to his father's name or according to the town in which he was born. According to many liberal theologists the early Christian writers changed Jesus' birthplace to Bethlehem because they wanted to make it appear that Jesus fulfilled an Old Testament prophecy that the Messiah would come from Bethlehem.

Very interesting.....I never heard that before. Thanks man, I'ma seriously look into that.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2002, 09:33:15 AM »
so the guys wh wrote the new testament were just normal guys who could have gotten the wrong information´, and they had no connection with God?? ... does that mean that we can expand the Bible and add "The Third Testament" with more informations and sagas?? if "no",, why not?

Nah, you got it twisted, lol.  They were men, pre-ordained by god to have the ability, and desire within them to write the scriptures.  Why are you trying to trip us up? lol.  As for the "Third Testament", I'm mormon, and we have the "third Testament" the book of mormon we use as scriptures too.  We have a prophet, and consider what he says scripture, also, so yeah, take that how ever you want.  The bible, alone, holds enough information to save someone's soul, so extra 'testaments' aren't totally needed, they only embelish the bible.  Peace~

Trauma-san

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2002, 09:39:06 AM »
Well said Darth. I agree with what you're saying, I just want to add a comment though:
Most of biblical geneology only mentions men because in those days women were seen as not so important so not many got a mention. That might explain why Adam and Eve don't appear to have daughters when they may actually have had some. However, Genesis 1-27 states "God created man in his own image; male and female created he them." But God does not create Adam until 2-7 and Even until 2-22. So what does the 1-27 passage mean?

Genesis1 obviously isn't a strict factual account of what happened when God created the world. It doesn't for example mention Dinosaurs and I don't think that anyone can actually deny they existed. Genesis only mentions the things that Moses knew about so must contain ommisions as he can't have known everything - and besides there is no need for him to know everything.

It's my opinion that Adam and Eve where not the only people on the Earth at that point. Maybe God spent time experimenting by populating the Earth with different animals such as Dinosaurs and early proto humans before finally deciding on homo-erectus. Man created in his own image with the ability to think and most importantly talk. Maybe he created several humans but chose to place only Adam and later Eve in the garden. Afrer a great deal of thought I have found I cannot believe in macro evolution (micro yes, macro no) so in my opinion all animal species (including for example Neanderthal man and Dinosaurs) must have been created by God at some point.

I just don't know how else to interpret the fact it says God created "man and woman" and instructed them to be "fruitful and multiply" and have "dominion" over all of the animals. Then rested on the seventh day before creating Adam.

So I believe that after the expulsion from Eden, Adam and Eve met up with some of those other humans and we came from there. That's how Seth and Cain could have families even if Adam and Eve didn't have daughters (and it means there was less incest too.)

I agree with most of that, we just don't know for sure what happened... but I think Science is merely a means by which God accomplishes his miracles.  I see no rift between science, and religion, almost everything even the parting of the red sea has been proven scientifically possible.  God took "7 days" to create the world, but the book of mormon, and MAYBE the new testament mention that a day to god is like 1000 to us.  So maybe that's just a gross generalization, and over millions of years, God took his 'week' to create the earth.  Peace~

Trauma-san

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2002, 10:06:44 AM »

I think we dissagree again.  First off, don't get your information by copying and pasting webpages.  Open the bible, and read it yourself.  You're pretty much borderline plagerizing webpages online, the entire quote above was almost verbatim copyed from another page.  

The whole trick of the story of Jesus is that he fullfilled all the prophecies, backwards.  For instance, Jews expected him to come in as a powerful, rich splendid leader.  He came in dirt poor, healed sick people, and died poor.  He didn't take anything by force, he did it through his word, instead (Like in Revelation, when he is pictured as the first horeseman, with a sword coming out of his mouth).  When asked if he was the Messiah, he never admitted to it, instead, he'd say "What do you think?" or something like that.  Remember, this is all on FAITH, that's why he couldn't come out and do everything in the open.  The gospels hold that Mary and Joseph had to travel to Bethlehem to be counted in a census ordered by the Roman king... another says that Joseph was actually from Bethlehem, all agree that he was born in Bethlehem, just like the prophecy said.  He grew up in Nazareth, though... if he had been called "Jesus of Bethlehem", it would have gave away his cards, so to speak... almost everything jesus did was totally backwards from what people expected through prophecy.  Peace~

The_Retarded_Moron

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2002, 02:33:37 PM »

I think we dissagree again.  First off, don't get your information by copying and pasting webpages.  Open the bible, and read it yourself.  You're pretty much borderline plagerizing webpages online, the entire quote above was almost verbatim copyed from another page.  

I didn't get my information by copying & pasting websites. I studied this shit at university. But see, English is not my native tongue. Therefore I searched the web in order to find short and informative comments & articles on the topic - in appropriate English.

P.S. Open the bible and read it yourself? First off, you'll have to do some research and get some knowledge. The bible cannot be read without background knowledge.

The_Retarded_Moron

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2002, 02:51:53 PM »

The whole trick of the story of Jesus is that he fullfilled all the prophecies, backwards.  For instance, Jews expected him to come in as a powerful, rich splendid leader.  He came in dirt poor, healed sick people, and died poor.  He didn't take anything by force, he did it through his word, instead (Like in Revelation, when he is pictured as the first horeseman, with a sword coming out of his mouth).  When asked if he was the Messiah, he never admitted to it, instead, he'd say "What do you think?" or something like that.  Remember, this is all on FAITH, that's why he couldn't come out and do everything in the open.  The gospels hold that Mary and Joseph had to travel to Bethlehem to be counted in a census ordered by the Roman king... another says that Joseph was actually from Bethlehem, all agree that he was born in Bethlehem, just like the prophecy said.  He grew up in Nazareth, though... if he had been called "Jesus of Bethlehem", it would have gave away his cards, so to speak... almost everything jesus did was totally backwards from what people expected through prophecy.  Peace~

Please differentiate between the kerygmatical person Jesus Christ & the historical person Jesus of Nazareth. Moreover, please do not take the gospels as some kind of historical account. The gospels served different purposes & were written for different groups of people. The gospels are not about facts, they're about faith. Btw, I read your posts and only Mark & Source Q were (most probably) written in Hebrew. Luke, Matthew & John were written in Old Greek.