Author Topic: Bush: permanent space station on the moon, Man to walk on mars  (Read 163 times)

Trauma-san

Bush: permanent space station on the moon, Man to walk on mars
« on: January 08, 2004, 05:44:13 PM »
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.  — President Bush (search) will announce plans next week to send Americans to Mars and back to the moon and to establish a long-term human presence on the moon (search), senior administration officials said Thursday night.

Bush doesn't plan to send Americans to Mars (search) anytime soon; rather, he envisions preparing for the mission more than a decade from now, one official said.

The president also wants to build a permanent space station on the moon.

The initiatives are part of a broad, new commitment to manned space flight, three officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

They said Bush wants to aggressively reinvigorate the space program, which has been demoralized by a series of setbacks, including the space shuttle disaster last February that killed seven astronauts.

The officials said Bush's announcement would come in the middle of next week.

Bush has been expected to announce a major space initiative, and some thought he do so at the 100th-anniversary celebration of the Wright brother's first flight last month in North Carolina.

Instead, he only pledged the United States would continue to lead the world in aviation.

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, has called for an expansion of the U.S. space program, including a return to the moon.

McClellan spoke with reporters accompanying Bush on a trip to Tennessee and Florida.

JTSimon

Re:Bush: permanent space station on the moon, Man to walk on mars
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 05:46:07 PM »
 ;D What a chump.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 05:51:55 PM »
how bout an elevator to mars
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

JTSimon

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 05:56:53 PM »
how bout an elevator to mars

;D I say we send Bush first.

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 07:11:41 AM »
One day, your negativity will consummmmmme you.  I think it's great.  Bigger, Better, Higher, Faster.  Whatever the olympics thing is, lol.  

Don Seer

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 07:49:39 AM »
gotta show the chinese that ya can still do it... before they get up there.. and to mars - both they are planning on.

btw.. this news is a month old...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/12/04/us.moon/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 07:52:37 AM by Sooth-Seer »

Immortal

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 12:58:26 PM »
its not worth it at least for now, we have other big ass problems, billions of dollars will be spent on this project and thinkin bout the mess in Iraq, and the global need for money, US or BUSH should just stfu and calm this down till things get better...

1 things for sure though, you americans sure got a Monkey for a president...lol
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

Woodrow

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 01:39:48 PM »
This is a great idea.

Do you realize how many job's this will create? It's gonna do nothing but increase the number of highly educated American's. Do any of you have any idea how much the civilian population benifted from the Apollo programs and the space program in general?

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 01:58:13 PM »

To the moon Alice!

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 02:15:19 PM »
This is a great idea.

Do you realize how many job's this will create? It's gonna do nothing but increase the number of highly educated American's. Do any of you have any idea how much the civilian population benifted from the Apollo programs and the space program in general?

yup ... it'll benefit us to...

for example... did you know that the only company in the world that makes ejector seats is based in the UK?  defence is big money.. a lot of our stuff gets bought by the US too.. so its good for us ;)

ps.. didnt teflon come from the shuttle program? :)

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 08:54:52 PM »
Yeah, NASA is almost ran like a private company, they subcontract out almost everything they do, so it pours a lot of money back into the economy.  When Kennedy did it, he was beloved and heralded, when Bush does it, the same cynical hate gets passed around.  Oh well, Jesus was killed for being a nice guy, that's how the world treats good people.  

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2004, 06:48:50 AM »
Yeah, NASA is almost ran like a private company, they subcontract out almost everything they do, so it pours a lot of money back into the economy.  When Kennedy did it, he was beloved and heralded, when Bush does it, the same cynical hate gets passed around.  Oh well, Jesus was killed for being a nice guy, that's how the world treats good people.  

come on its a a waste of money don't you think your in aenuff debt at the moment i don't think it will be plausable to goto mars for many years without paying an astronomical cost to go with it i'm talking trillions forget billions

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2004, 07:50:19 AM »
^ We'll just have to see how it works out, won't we? The #1 rule of finance is you have to spend money to make money.  

HIPPI

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2004, 09:15:29 AM »
^ We'll just have to see how it works out, won't we? The #1 rule of finance is you have to spend money to make money.  

Unless you find the winning lottery ticket that the "winner" lost right after she purchased it.