Author Topic: Your next American President  (Read 877 times)

Woodrow

Re:Your next American President
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2004, 01:21:03 PM »
I Told you that you don't have a clue about the real world.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2004, 02:07:07 PM »

Dean Ends Campaign for White House

so much for being the next US president eh maxi

WASHINGTON (AP) - Howard Dean will end his campaign for the presidential nomination and oversee a new effort to keep his issues alive and his supporters organized on behalf of Democratic causes, two party officials said Wednesday.

Dean was to announce his plans at a news conference Wednesday afternoon, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The sources said the shape of the new effort is still to be determined but that Dean would eventually support the Democratic Party's nominee. One official said Dean would help elect Democrats to Congress in the fall.

Dean was mulling whether to endorse one of his rivals. John Edwards has been reaching out to Dean for several weeks, and the former Vermont governor has been impressed with the North Carolina senator and grateful that he has not criticized Dean, the officials said.

Still, the officials cautioned, the chance for endorsement remained slim.

Dean exits the active race certain in the knowledge that he will live on in the annals of U.S. politics for shattering Democratic fund-raising records with $41 million collected in a single year - as well as on late-night television and Internet parodies for a high-octane concession speech on the night of the Iowa caucuses that he's likely never to live down.

The former Vermont governor is the political equivalent of a supernova. Once a long-shot candidate, the Internet phenomenon filled his campaign coffers and attracted thousands of supporters through the spring and summer, pushing him to the head of the crowded Democratic field.

The leader in national polls - and more important state polls in the first states of Iowa and New Hampshire - Dean seemed poised to win the nomination in a runaway. In the end, he never won a single state through 17 contests.

Historians will judge, but Dean and his devoted supporters are convinced that they more than anyone else defined the Democratic debate through his unwavering criticism of President Bush, the Iraq war and Democrats who helped Bush push his agenda through Congress.

``Because of your work, we have already written the Democratic Party platform,'' Dean declared Monday night at an exuberant Madison rally that harkened to the heady days when he was more focused on a running mate than exiting the race.

For that latter part of 2003 and the early days of this year, Dean seemed untouchable, emerging from miscues and gaffes with yet another fund-raising record or high-profile endorsement.

Nothing could dissuade the 640,000 people who joined his campaign via his Web site. They contributed $41 million last year and then pumped millions more this year into a campaign that was faltering even before Iowans dealt the first blow.

Dean was the most unlikely of heroes for this movement of liberals, disaffected voters and youth. Born to wealth on New York's Park Avenue, his Yale pedigree was much closer to Bush's than the working people to whom he said he was giving voice.

As he left the Vermont governor's office in January 2003 after nearly 12 years, Dean had a presidential campaign staff of a half-dozen and about $157,000 in the bank.

But one of those staffers had found a then-obscure Internet organizing site, known as MeetUp.com. Dean became the first political candidate to sign up for it and suddenly thousands of people were finding him, organizing local events and fund-raisers and slowly making him a force.

His blunt speaking style and full-throated opposition to the Iraq war at a time when almost all of the other major contenders were trying to explain their support for it gave him an edge.

Even then he was still little more than an afterthought, but he had raised enough money to begin competing and was relentless in appearing everywhere he could. By February last year, he had begun focusing his criticism not just on Bush but on his fellow Democrats, accusing them of being too timid in fighting for the party's core principles.

``I'm Howard Dean and I represent the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party,'' Dean declared at a Democratic National Committee meeting in Washington last year that caught everyone's attention. The line had been a staple of the late Minnesota Sen. Paul Wellstone.

Dean tapped into Democrats' nagging belief that their national leaders had lost their way and were too blindly allowing Bush and the Republicans to set the agenda.

But even at that early stage there were signs of Dean's penchant for speaking before all the facts were straight. He apologized to rival John Edwards for mischaracterizing the North Carolina senator's position on the Iraq war, and offered his regrets to foe Bob Graham for dismissing him as a second-tier candidate.

Each misstep, though, seemed only to embolden Dean and his supporters.

After Dean's performance on NBC's ``Meet the Press'' last June was widely panned, supporters decided to prove the establishment wrong, raising more than $3 million over the Internet in just a week.

Suddenly, Dean appeared to be the man to beat. The ``People-Powered Howard'' movement had begun and the money kept rolling in.

It got his opponents' attention, too, and they stepped up the criticism. Dean stirred controversy in November for saying he wanted ``to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks,'' then quieted the uproar by winning the endorsement of two of the country's largest unions - the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees and the Service Employees International Union.

Dean then snagged one of the biggest prizes - the backing of former Vice President Al Gore, the nominee in 2000.

Days before the Iowa caucuses, four-year-old tapes surfaced of Dean telling Canadian television that caucuses are dominated by special interests. He doused that firestorm quickly by winning the endorsement of Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin.

While it always appeared that Dean could emerge unscathed from the missteps, ultimately, it added up and voters decided to go with a familiar Washington face.

By the time the Iowa votes were counted, Dean had finished a distant third behind Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry and Edwards. It was the first election loss of his 20-year career. Then Dean ended his full-throttle concession speech with a scream that has played endlessly on the Internet and late-night talk shows.

Associated Press Writer Ross Sneyd in Burlington, Vt., contributed to this report.

02/18/04 10:08

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

JTSimon

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2004, 03:29:35 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/primaries/pages/scorecard/

Howard Dean was in second place I don't know why he resigned.

KERRY 608 Delegates
DEAN 201
EDWARDS 190

with like 1100 delegates to be voted on March 2.

lol like I was suppose to predict his crazy speech in IOWA.

Dean should have skipped Wisconsin and focused on CALIFORNIA.

John Edwards fucking ruined Wisconsin for him.

Oh well...I don't want KERRY or BUSH in office  ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 03:38:39 PM by Neb »

JTSimon

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2004, 03:35:49 PM »
LOL @ 18%

You entered this discussion the day of Dean first defeat...and then you acted like you been saying Dean would lose since day 1. Your a bandwagon bitch you'll go with any1 in the lead.

Idiot.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 03:36:43 PM by Neb »

Trauma-san

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »
VOTE DEMACRAT

Woodrow

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2004, 03:47:11 PM »
LOL @ 18%

You entered this discussion the day of Dean first defeat...and then you acted like you been saying Dean would lose since day 1. Your a bandwagon bitch you'll go with any1 in the lead.

Idiot.

HAHAHAHAHAH! YOU LOOSE!

Trauma-san

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2004, 03:52:34 PM »
(kinda like november)

JTSimon

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2004, 04:03:16 PM »
LOL @ 18%

Idiot.

HAHAHAHAHAH! YOU LOOSE!

lol I'm so hurt.

Howard Dean lost and it was all his fault...I had nothing to do with it.

Woodrow

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2004, 05:12:08 PM »
Sigh...

Those debate tactics won't work...

What I see is:

You're losing the argument so you either

a. Change the subject
b. Attack the person you're debating personaly
c. Run away like a school girl.

I thought you were gonna quit posting here?

JTSimon

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2004, 05:58:15 PM »
Sigh...

Those debate tactics won't work...

What I see is:

You're losing the argument so you either

a. Change the subject
b. Attack the person you're debating personaly
c. Run away like a school girl.

I thought you were gonna quit posting here?

lol  ;D I see your on step A.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2004, 08:18:12 PM »
^ last post huh........

::)

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

JTSimon

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2004, 06:34:52 AM »
^ last post huh........

::)

Umm I'm the author of this thread.

Woodrow

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2004, 11:20:27 AM »
Apparently he is not going to California, or Texas, or New York. He's not going to South Dakota, or Oregon, or Washington, or Michigan. He wont be going to Washington DC to take back the White House.

Yeeeaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 11:20:56 AM by Krayzie-Eyez Killah »