Author Topic: do you consider rappers musicians?  (Read 1060 times)

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
Re:do you consider rappers musicians?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2004, 09:36:28 AM »

But I don't care if your making music with sticks and trashcans.  If it's dope, it's dope.  And if you can make your music sound as good with a stick and a trashcan, as Mozart can with an orchestra; then that makes you better than Mozart.  

makin a beat is not the same as making music.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2004, 09:40:55 AM »
cam'ron no artist? then what is he? :-\ he's a rapper that brings out cd's and you say he's no artist? ::) :o

Homes said he is having hard time puting Cam'ron even near the same category as greats like Bethoveen(which is completely understandable), so I just said that it's coo' aproaching the defenition of the word "Artist" as a certain Elite level that not every half- assed- exprementing- self proclaimed musician could be on, meaning thaT the term "Artist" and "Art" as a whole shouldn't be thrown in every direction, it's a metter of quallity in other words.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 09:41:47 AM by I TO DA GEEZY »
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2004, 11:27:33 AM »

uhh, yea, U dunno wat yur talkin about...if tha composer is makin beats using notes, then he is 4 sure makin music...

yall lookin WAY too much into this shit anyway....makin beats by ear is still makin music technically....a producer is makin music constructing a song from 0....etc etc

tha REAL question U should be asking is are all rappers ARTISTS? hell no....I come from tha most musically (especially hip hop) saturated area in america....I'm in da studio everyday wit all these different cats out here, observing everybody....I can honestly say ALOT of these cats are not artists, they are RAPPERS, the rap, they don't sit there constructing songs wit producers, most of tha time they use lame ass concepts or they don't even have any, this is why I don't give beats out 2 random artists, I have 2 be there in da studio producing tha song, makin somethin out of it, what most of these no talent ass rappers do is buy beats in a bulk and just write shit 2 em and record like 5 songs tha next day, constructing a 'song' is very different than rapping 2 a beat.....lemme break it down 4 tha slow learners.....Artists = 2pac, Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem, Mista CaNE etc etc......Rappers = Cam'ron, Juelz Santana, Kurupt, Daz etc etc

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2004, 11:54:23 AM »

uhh, yea, U dunno wat yur talkin about...if tha composer is makin beats using notes, then he is 4 sure makin music...

banging a rock with sticks produces no musical notes.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2004, 12:41:31 AM »
To break it down...  Alot of you are saying....  "Rappers aren't real musicians because making hip-hop beats isn't that complex."   And the notes of classical music were compared to the notes played in "Nothin But A G Thang".  I can't argue that.  Yeah, composing classical music is more complex.

But I don't care if your making music with sticks and trashcans.  If it's dope, it's dope.  And if you can make your music sound as good with a stick and a trashcan, as Mozart can with an orchestra; then that makes you better than Mozart.  

Secondly, I would put the lyrics of "Stan", "The Way I Am", "Me And My Girlfriend" or anything on Illmatic up against any "poet" of any era.

here is wehre you fuck up:

you assume dre is better cuz he doesn't use a full orchestra.....

neither did mozart.....lol when he was a kid (take yourself back to when you were 8 now) he was creating song structures for an instrument he didn't even own! most of it was all mental....now that right there is GENIUS for a 48 year old to do and beyond the relm of anything for a 8 year old to do! also many other important composers created music without any tools, just their brain. dre and many of these other high end producers have access to millions of dollars and high end equipment that does the tuning, structuring and sound pitch for you. all these other composers lived in a time where they manually had to do all that! also many hip hop producers have access to the world's library of classic beats! meaning if they wanted to make a hot track they just got to remember a hot song they heard on the radio and rip it off! many classical composers then and even now didn't have that ....nor woudl they use that they were the ones creating those scales and forming the templets of "hot beats" many of y'all don't even appreciate this but these people hundreds of years before us created scales that are used today..........that right there infinite makes mozart and J.S. BACH the GOATS of music...period!

in short bethoveen could do what dre is doing easily.....but dre, dj quik, warren g would struggle BAD to do what bethoveen and bach did

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2004, 11:39:09 AM »
hell yeah muthafuckin these niggaz is musicians, jus abit mo gifted that most, thats why they can be called poets to,lol

check britney, justin, them rockers like linkin park, limp bizkit, all them poppy acts, n shit........korn, and that crazy ass group who got masks on.......damn in that case, niggaz be genius's,lol............y'all lucky eminem holdin it down for y'all.......and justin, all he doin is copyin what micheal did when he was black.......

niggaz be musicians? hell muthafuckin yeahhhhhhhhhh hahaha

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2004, 11:06:18 PM »
negro please  ::)

the only one you're right about is limp bizkit and britney

but when i think about it.......i'd rather hear fred durst ruin a classic Who song than hear shake it like  a salt shaker or like a pimp or 90% of wha'ts  out in rap right now.

Suga Foot

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2004, 11:37:20 PM »
I'm a keep it simple.  

A rapper is not a musician.  He is a rapper.  

Not all producers are musicians.  A producer has the simple job of deciding what the song should sound like.  That doesn't involve playing any instruments.  However most producers do play insruments.  

A musician is a musician.  Like Mike Elizondo or Scott Storch.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 01:10:34 PM »
negro please  ::)

the only one you're right about is limp bizkit and britney

but when i think about it.......i'd rather hear fred durst ruin a classic Who song than hear shake it like  a salt shaker or like a pimp or 90% of wha'ts  out in rap right now.

yooo whitey, lets keep it simple, whether niggaz be musicians or not, they make wayy better music than y'all with that wack shit y'all come with..........lol@negro pleez..........youz a pussy

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2004, 12:51:46 AM »
^lol i'm not white, strike one

real black dudes don't type like that ^, only try hard calton banks, nerdy, white washed black dudes. strike two

also if "niggaz" were such superior musicians why is a white boy the best rapper out now, and almost every genre y'all started got out done by a bunch of white dudes. strike three you're out!

white people and black people need to get over themselves.....y'all try to hard to be superior and different from each other , but fail to relise how similar y'all are.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2004, 05:04:39 AM »

youre so wrong during this thread that your confidence gives my a laugh.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2004, 05:06:37 AM »
I'm a keep it simple.  

so a singer is no musician?
No, it's not a sin

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2004, 05:53:41 AM »

youre so wrong during this thread that your confidence gives my a laugh.

banging a rock with a stick produces no musical notes. maybe one but it produces no musical range. dumbass. read the whole thread before you pick out bits and pieces.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2004, 05:57:23 AM »
I'm a keep it simple.  

so a singer is no musician?

your confidence makes me laugh.

a singer is not a rapper. a rapper can be a singer but not when he's rapping.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2004, 06:00:14 AM »
singing doesnt envolve more skill or uniqueness than rapping. headnut.
playin a guitar isnt any "better" than makin a beat.

get over it.
No, it's not a sin