Author Topic: Name Real Hip-Hop Tracks...  (Read 461 times)

bez

Re:Name Real Hip-Hop Tracks...
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2004, 05:14:11 PM »
Nas, Dance
Jay Z, Dead Presidents 2
2pac, White Manz World
Biggie, Juicy

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2004, 05:41:02 PM »
No such thing as real Hip Hop. All Hip Hop is real.

So there is a such thing as real hiphop. There's just no such thing as fake hiphop then ::)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2004, 06:15:04 PM »
Nas - Destroy & Rebuild
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

SGV

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2004, 08:46:52 AM »
So there is a such thing as real hiphop. There's just no such thing as fake hiphop then ::)
Can you explain what Real Hip Hop is?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2004, 09:08:13 AM »
I think that Hip-Hop can be fake. Because hip-hop used to be expression, and in 1996, I would say, yeah no Hip-Hop is fake, just different. But now you have record lables making fake Hip-Hop, not the artist, not the producers, but the record lables limited what Hip-Hop artist can say. I missed the days when lables knew nothing, or if a lable like Def Jam, they just allowed complete artistic freedom. Now lables like Interscope and Def Jam/Island, limit what artist can really say, and alter Hip-Hop to be lable generated to produce maxium profits. Real Hip-Hop is rap music that is from the artist, raw. What the artist wants to put out, not what the lable alters to sell. Back in the days, lables limited some songs because of controvery, now they limit for sales. That's fake Hip-Hop. Oh for the list

Nas - Lost Tapes

SGV

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2004, 09:23:04 AM »
The only time Hip Hop is not real, is when outsiders come in. I.E. when people like Britney Spears, Madonna etc.

I don't see how Nelly, Chingy, Ja, etc. are fake. People say that because they're so popular, have sold and are not the greatest rappers around. So be it. But, they still make Hip Hop tracks. I don't see how someone could call "Air Force Onez" fake, but bump "My Adidas." Real Hip Hop is what's REAL to the artist. If Chingy is talking about his chain, or if Ja is talking about his loves this chick, that's real to them. Is it not? I'm a big KRS fan, but he fucked up Hip Hop with that whol Real Hip Hop idea. Club jams don't mean you're fake, where do you think Hip Hop started? The parks, block parties, clubs. Talking about your money doesn't mean you're fake, they've been doing it since jump. Talking about loving women in your raps doesn't mean you're fake, it's been going on for years.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2004, 09:29:42 AM »
I'm not saying Air Force Ones is fake. I'm saying music that is altered to sell is fake. When an artist is force to sound a way to sell. Like DMX, he is under contract to make a Cd in a certain style.... that's real... or when the record lables hear the beats used before the artist. The artist should be the one choicing his music, not the lables. Shit, if Nelly wants to sing about Air Force Ones, thats fine. But is it because he wants to, or because the lable pushed it out. With Nelly, I think his a throwback to Run-DMC, so whatever. But other artist, what are they doing?

SGV

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2004, 09:35:04 AM »
I'm not saying Air Force Ones is fake. I'm saying music that is altered to sell is fake. When an artist is force to sound a way to sell. Like DMX, he is under contract to make a Cd in a certain style.... that's real... or when the record lables hear the beats used before the artist. The artist should be the one choicing his music, not the lables. Shit, if Nelly wants to sing about Air Force Ones, thats fine. But is it because he wants to, or because the lable pushed it out. With Nelly, I think his a throwback to Run-DMC, so whatever. But other artist, what are they doing?
That wasn't aimed at you, but aight.

Labels have been choosing directions for artists for a long time. You think Hammer or Bel Biv Devoe wanted to come out like a gangstas? Nope. But at the time they came out like that, it was the craze. Their labels pushed it. It's about sales, we all know that. Just like all these people using Lil Jon or Kanye West beats. They're doing it because it's what's popular(even though the beats are tight). All these rappers now talking about being gangsta/slanging drugs, from 50 to Jay-Z, only do it because it sells. It's all about trends.

BadAzz4001

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2004, 10:54:04 AM »
Luniz - I Got 5 On It

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2004, 02:29:39 PM »
ok SGV, i just said that shit cause ur statement was kinda contradictive, i didn't have any point other than that and basically i agree with what you said after

no, I can't explain what "real" hiphop is, as well as i can't explain what "fake" hiphop is because i don't use these expressions and i don't like them bein used by others either cuz it's sumthin people say without thinkin about what it's supposed to mean. i don't consider any hiphop "fake", the adidas/air force ones thing was a good point. MC's been signed to labels that told em how to do shit for a while, mc's been talkin bout cars, shine, bitches and cash for ages (what did epmd stand for?). Only i think hiphop's commercial success and large audience which includes people who are basically just pop listeners who occasionally listen to sum hiphop have got people to consider sum hiphop "fake". Sound-wise hiphop has changed and alot of hiphop is pop music nowadays. I guess that's why people call sum shit "fake" and blame the subjects those mc's are on....what people don't realize is mc's used to talk about that shit 10 years ago too, only the sound was different and hiphop as a culture was at a different stage

and as for KRS-ONE i don't like him trippin on what "real HipHop" is either, him talkin bout people havin to spell it "HipHop" with 2 capital H's and not "hip-hop", inventing phrases the letters stand for etc. That shit ain't necessary. HipHop is a part of pop culture and people need to get along with it instead of trippin on what is "real" and what is "fake". Listen to whatever u like

the only way to define "fake" hiphop for me would be a purely aesthetic one, like music that tries to sound like hiphop^but isn't, but then u'd have to be able to make a clear difference between music that tries to be hiphop and hiphop. and that's not really possible either. but u can't tell if sumbody's "real" or "fake" cause of what they talk about. Nelly is real hiphop. Whether u like it or not  

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2004, 02:34:31 PM »
C'N'N - Live On Live Long
Big L - Street Struck
Cormega - Therapy
Rae & Ghost - Heaven & Hell
Styles - Listen
Goodie Mob - The Day After, Thought Process, O.M.N.I.
Sticky Fingaz - Baby Boy
Gangstarr - Robbin Hood Theory

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2004, 02:46:35 PM »
hip hop was fake jus befo nwa came out, afta a heavy start niggaz started rappin to much about bling n how niggaz are rich n shit, which was fake since actually niggaz were husltin, livin ruf lifes n shit, n then nwa dropped n pretty much told how shit really was..........

so if ya wanna hear some real shit,

check nwa - straight outta compton

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2004, 03:39:18 PM »
^word, SOC!!

but yeah,

"Reflection Eternal"  :)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2004, 10:54:19 PM »
No such thing as real Hip Hop. All Hip Hop is real.

So according to you Aaron Carter is equal to Rakim...

SGV

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 12:14:44 AM »

So according to you Aaron Carter is equal to Rakim...
Please read ALL posts first.
The only time Hip Hop is not real, is when outsiders come in. I.E. when people like Britney Spears, Madonna etc.