Author Topic: Lies, Myths and Downright Stupidity  (Read 176 times)

Woodrow

Lies, Myths and Downright Stupidity
« on: January 29, 2004, 09:39:32 AM »
John Stossel is a tool IMO, but he had a nice bit of reporting.... It's about Lies, Myths and Downright Stupidity. Check it out here: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/2020/myths_john_stossel_040123-1.html

One I found interesting:

Myth No. 5 — The Rich Don't Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes

We've all heard this one during the presidential campaign. When it comes to income taxes, the Democratic presidential candidates keep telling us, the rich don't pay enough.

That's a widespread belief, but do the politicians even know how much of the income tax burden the rich pay now?

According to presidential candidate Al Sharpton, "The top one percent in this country pays very much less than ten percent, very much less than five percent."

Sharpton said he thinks the wealthy should pay "somewhere around 15 percent."

But that's so silly because — and I bet most of you don't know this — the IRS says the richest 1 percent of taxpayers already pay 34 percent of all income taxes. Twice what Sharpton wanted them to pay.

Still you may feel the rich should pay even more. It's a tempting thought, since they have so much.

But let's remember the facts: the top 1 percent of Americans — those who earn more than about $300,000 a year — pay 34 percent, more than a third of all income taxes, and the top 5 percent, those making over $125,000, pay more than half.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Lies, Myths and Downright Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »
did u find myth number 6 interesting too? or ur just gonna ignore that one?

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 10:28:37 AM »
I think it's wrong that the government spending has increased...

But for people like yourself, if Bush did cut back, you'd be complaining about that... Lets take a look at where he's increased spending.

"Spending at the Environmental Protection Agency is up 12 percent, it's up 14 percent at the Agriculture Department, 30 percent at the Department of the Interior, 64 percent at the Department of Labor, and 70 percent at the Department of Education."

So Bush has been spending money on

The Enviorment, Jobs, and Education...

I'd say those are pretty decent things to be spending money on...

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 12:30:17 PM »
I think it's wrong that the government spending has increased...

But for people like yourself, if Bush did cut back, you'd be complaining about that... Lets take a look at where he's increased spending.

"Spending at the Environmental Protection Agency is up 12 percent, it's up 14 percent at the Agriculture Department, 30 percent at the Department of the Interior, 64 percent at the Department of Labor, and 70 percent at the Department of Education."

So Bush has been spending money on

The Enviorment, Jobs, and Education...

I'd say those are pretty decent things to be spending money on...

if you spend money on anything its always a decent thing to spend money on.

Republicans lie, so do Democrats.

just to let you know...Bush really doesnt get props from the people of the EPA or Environmentalists in general. He re-wrote the Clean WAter Act's rules to allow mining waste to be dumped into many waterways. and he has reduced spending on energy conservation and renewable energy.

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 01:36:05 PM »
Well, We could get into a debate about enviormentalism, but I'll just tell you I think it's bullshit...

There need to be some sort of controls, but I value human survival much more than a trees. I value my life much more than an Animal that had a vaccine tested on it. I value human life more than anything, and it seems to me that a large portion of enviormentalists oppose every productive activity on which human survival depends.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 08:58:01 PM »
^ Man, I think we're just born that way.  As great as this post is, it's not going to change anybody's mind.  I posted this EXACT SAME THING about a year ago, nobody gave a shit.  The top 1 percent, you're right, pay a third of the taxes, but yet they still bitch about the rich not paying enough.  

Munga

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 10:28:19 PM »
I value human life more than anything

The life of an American, or human life in general because as I remember you are for the war. A war that has taken hundreds of thousands of human lives, which you so dearly care about.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 12:03:40 PM »
^ Man, I think we're just born that way.  As great as this post is, it's not going to change anybody's mind.  I posted this EXACT SAME THING about a year ago, nobody gave a shit.  The top 1 percent, you're right, pay a third of the taxes, but yet they still bitch about the rich not paying enough.  

well just so u can have a wet dream, it changed my mind because i also saw the report on ABC, But i was just bringing up the other side's lie as well. Trying to give u know a lil "fair and balanced" view of things. but just by doing that i was callled "for people like urself" just cuz i was being fair.