Author Topic: Catholic Saints  (Read 275 times)

MidnightPills

Catholic Saints
« on: May 30, 2002, 11:55:04 PM »

Doctor of the Church
b. 1195 d. 1231
Feastday: June 13
Patron of the Poor

St. Anthony was born in Portugal, although most of his work was in Italy. He originally joined the Augustinian order, but he became a Franciscan when he was 26. This was because of the death of 5 Franciscan protomartyrs in Morocco, North Africa, whose headless and mutilated bodies had been brought back for burial. St. Anthony also wished to be a martyr, just like them. He is called the "Hammer of Heretics" because of his simple, and sometimes, miraculous manner of teaching the Catholic faith. The secret to his success was simply to repeat the "Holy Name of Mary" when speaking to heretics. St. Anthony often attracted huge crowds, and was sensationally successful. One day when he found he was preaching to heretics who would not Listen, he went to preach to the fish, who Listened attentively, not for their necessity, but for the glory of God. To another heretic, St. Anthony had a mule (who had been starved for three days) bow before the Blessed Sacrament, although food was also placed near him. St. Anthony was miraculously visited by the Infant Jesus, and is commonly referred to today as the "finder of lost articles." His tongue is incorrupt, and is displayed at Basillica del Santo, in Padua. He was only 36 when he died.

For more information on Saint Anthony, visit Finding the Real St. Anthony at American

Awww this is my favorite Catholic Saint of all times. Everytime i am feeling low or i have Lost something i have turned to St. Anthony. He is known to be the most Kindest saints that works for Our Lord in heaven. I would like to share more about saints with the baord. Keep in mind that a saint is not to be worship, but is to be reconized as a worker for God. He is the saint you pray to if you have lost something. So i hope you enjoy learning alittle about him. And i shell post a few more saints up. Some of them has great stories behind them and have truely lived there life for God. As some of us and yes even I need to work on... Love and Peace to you all

~Pink~
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Trauma-san

Re: Catholic Saints
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 11:59:32 PM »
Thanks, I'd like to learn more about catholic saints, post 'em up.  I would post all of ours, but we call every member of our church a saint (technically) so it'd take forever, LOL.  

MidnightPills

:DRe: Catholic Saints
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2002, 12:01:57 AM »
Thanks, I'd like to learn more about catholic saints, post 'em up.  I would post all of ours, but we call every member of our church a saint (technically) so it'd take forever, LOL.  

well post the important ones lol.. i am serious i would like to learn more about yours  :D

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 02:34:29 AM »
No, really... the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  EVERYBODY who joins the church is a Saint.  There's 11 million of us right now.  Nobody's really anymore important than the other ones... we do have a prophet, and his two councelors, who form the first presidency and lead the church under Jesus Christ (who is the head of the church, even now), and 12 apostles to christ, under the first presidency.These 15 (sometimes it's 14) are considered seers, prophets, and revelators, so, in other words, they are able to direct the members of the church under revelation from god.  Any member of the church (the saints) can receive revelation, but none but these 15 can be prophets (because 1 mans revelation cannot be used to lead the other saints, unless called to that position, etc.).  So, our first prophet, who would be the first latter day saint, was Joseph Smith.  His claim to fame is that he was 14, and didn't know what church to choose, so an angel appeared to him one night, and told him 3 times that there was no correct church to choose, and that the lord would reveal to him the lords church in time.  So, one day, he was directed to a grove of trees (by this angel, Moroni, who was the MAN, lemme tell ya, Moroni rocked), and while in the woods, he saw a beam of light over his head, in the beam, he saw two men standing, one stretched out his hand and said "Behold, my beloved son; hear him" and the other gave instruction to Joseph to reform his church on the earth.  He's one of a handful of men who have been witness to Christ and his Father in person.

Another of my favorites, was like I said before, Moroni.  The book of mormon is a collection of writings taken here in america, from native americans (although not in the typical sense you think of) and south americans, who may have been the mayans.  Basically, people who have vanished from this hemisphere.  Well, anyways, the book is a record of them travelling here, and it's written by a series of prophets.  One of the last was Mormon, and by his time, he had a ton of these plates, with all these stories on it, including when Jesus visited america shortly after his resurrection.  (in the bible, jesus says he has other sheep not of this fold he must talk to, he was talking about the people of america, and possibly about people on other continents besides america, we don't know for sure).  So, anyways, Mormon is being chased, by people who kill everyone who will not deny christ.  Mormon is told by god, to take all of the stories, and just save the MOST important ones, so that one man can carry them, and to condense all the records down into 1 volume.  Mormon does, and records them on a bunch of gold or brass plates, bound together.  He gives them to his son, and tells him to protect the plates at all costs.  Mormon is killed, and every nephite (the ancient americans) is killed, until Moroni is the last.  Moroni is told by the lord to bury the book on a mountainside, and Moroni was the angel who appeared to Joseph Smith, and told him where the book was hid, etc.  So, in the book of mormon, you have all these stories from a succession of prophets, down to mormon, and then at the very end, you have his son Moroni, picking up where his dad left off, finishing the book off with a promise, and then burying it.  The promise says that if you pray about the stories in the book, you'll know that they are from god, and true.  

So, that's my 2 favorite 'saints', although technically, Moroni wasn't a saint (there were no latter day saints back then, because it wasn't the latter days yet)... well, I guess you could consider him an "original" saint as opposed to a "latter day" saint, just like you'd consider simon peter a saint, etc.  

My favorite biblical saints are Simon Peter, and John the Baptist, 2 awesome guys.  I wish I could be a little more like them, even though Peter betrayed christ 3 times in a few hours during Christ's atonement.

Peace~

MidnightPills

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2002, 06:50:58 PM »
hey thanks for that. i didn't know that was actually one of the views of the mormon church :D

doggmastah

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • All hoez n ya kneez:make way fo tha masta of geez!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2002, 12:28:12 AM »

Doctor of the Church
b. 1195 d. 1231
Feastday: June 13
Patron of the Poor

St. Anthony was born in Portugal, although most of his work was in Italy. He originally joined the Augustinian order, but he became a Franciscan when he was 26. This was because of the death of 5 Franciscan protomartyrs in Morocco, North Africa, whose headless and mutilated bodies had been brought back for burial. St. Anthony also wished to be a martyr, just like them. He is called the "Hammer of Heretics" because of his simple, and sometimes, miraculous manner of teaching the Catholic faith. The secret to his success was simply to repeat the "Holy Name of Mary" when speaking to heretics. St. Anthony often attracted huge crowds, and was sensationally successful. One day when he found he was preaching to heretics who would not Listen, he went to preach to the fish, who Listened attentively, not for their necessity, but for the glory of God. To another heretic, St. Anthony had a mule (who had been starved for three days) bow before the Blessed Sacrament, although food was also placed near him. St. Anthony was miraculously visited by the Infant Jesus, and is commonly referred to today as the "finder of lost articles." His tongue is incorrupt, and is displayed at Basillica del Santo, in Padua. He was only 36 when he died.

For more information on Saint Anthony, visit Finding the Real St. Anthony at American

Awww this is my favorite Catholic Saint of all times. Everytime i am feeling low or i have Lost something i have turned to St. Anthony. He is known to be the most Kindest saints that works for Our Lord in heaven. I would like to share more about saints with the baord. Keep in mind that a saint is not to be worship, but is to be reconized as a worker for God. He is the saint you pray to if you have lost something. So i hope you enjoy learning alittle about him. And i shell post a few more saints up. Some of them has great stories behind them and have truely lived there life for God. As some of us and yes even I need to work on... Love and Peace to you all

~Pink~

Saint Anthony , in portuguese ,Santo António is also the saint of mariages, in portugal, every year there are the "noivas de santo António" or The"Saint Anthony brides" ... People get married in June , the month of Saint Anthony's celebrations, he even got a Holly day in his memory...

Peace1!  (if u  want to get marride ask Saint Anthony for help!)  
PEACE1!

AMC- Spittin' from Portugal da French emcee!

Affiliated to the WSFC-West Side French Connection-

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2002, 07:38:35 AM »
I'm named after st. anthony ;D

infinite59

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2002, 12:02:36 PM »
No, really... the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  EVERYBODY who joins the church is a Saint.  There's 11 million of us right now.  Nobody's really anymore important than the other ones... we do have a prophet, and his two councelors, who form the first presidency and lead the church under Jesus Christ (who is the head of the church, even now), and 12 apostles to christ, under the first presidency.These 15 (sometimes it's 14) are considered seers, prophets, and revelators, so, in other words, they are able to direct the members of the church under revelation from god.  Any member of the church (the saints) can receive revelation, but none but these 15 can be prophets (because 1 mans revelation cannot be used to lead the other saints, unless called to that position, etc.).  So, our first prophet, who would be the first latter day saint, was Joseph Smith.  His claim to fame is that he was 14, and didn't know what church to choose, so an angel appeared to him one night, and told him 3 times that there was no correct church to choose, and that the lord would reveal to him the lords church in time.  So, one day, he was directed to a grove of trees (by this angel, Moroni, who was the MAN, lemme tell ya, Moroni rocked), and while in the woods, he saw a beam of light over his head, in the beam, he saw two men standing, one stretched out his hand and said "Behold, my beloved son; hear him" and the other gave instruction to Joseph to reform his church on the earth.  He's one of a handful of men who have been witness to Christ and his Father in person.

Another of my favorites, was like I said before, Moroni.  The book of mormon is a collection of writings taken here in america, from native americans (although not in the typical sense you think of) and south americans, who may have been the mayans.  Basically, people who have vanished from this hemisphere.  Well, anyways, the book is a record of them travelling here, and it's written by a series of prophets.  One of the last was Mormon, and by his time, he had a ton of these plates, with all these stories on it, including when Jesus visited america shortly after his resurrection.  (in the bible, jesus says he has other sheep not of this fold he must talk to, he was talking about the people of america, and possibly about people on other continents besides america, we don't know for sure).  So, anyways, Mormon is being chased, by people who kill everyone who will not deny christ.  Mormon is told by god, to take all of the stories, and just save the MOST important ones, so that one man can carry them, and to condense all the records down into 1 volume.  Mormon does, and records them on a bunch of gold or brass plates, bound together.  He gives them to his son, and tells him to protect the plates at all costs.  Mormon is killed, and every nephite (the ancient americans) is killed, until Moroni is the last.  Moroni is told by the lord to bury the book on a mountainside, and Moroni was the angel who appeared to Joseph Smith, and told him where the book was hid, etc.  So, in the book of mormon, you have all these stories from a succession of prophets, down to mormon, and then at the very end, you have his son Moroni, picking up where his dad left off, finishing the book off with a promise, and then burying it.  The promise says that if you pray about the stories in the book, you'll know that they are from god, and true.  

So, that's my 2 favorite 'saints', although technically, Moroni wasn't a saint (there were no latter day saints back then, because it wasn't the latter days yet)... well, I guess you could consider him an "original" saint as opposed to a "latter day" saint, just like you'd consider simon peter a saint, etc.  

My favorite biblical saints are Simon Peter, and John the Baptist, 2 awesome guys.  I wish I could be a little more like them, even though Peter betrayed christ 3 times in a few hours during Christ's atonement.

Peace~

Wow.  Talk about being passionate.  ^^

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2002, 08:15:08 PM »
Haha, yeah, I am.  About a ton of things.  Mainly, jesus, girlfriends, and old cars, LOL.  

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2002, 08:55:31 AM »
Church Of Latter-Day Saints? you're responsible for all those crappy-assed commercials! A pox on you!

Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2002, 09:46:07 AM »
Change the channel, if you don't like it.