Author Topic: Black History Month . . . . .  (Read 193 times)

Xivart

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
Black History Month . . . . .
« on: February 03, 2004, 09:47:22 AM »

Negro History Week, known today as Black History Month, was established on February 19, 1926, by Harvard trained Ph.D. Carter G. Woodson. As a high school teacher, Woodson discovered that no schools taught the history of Black Americans. In fact, prior to 1926, people of African descent were classified as a race that made absolutely no contributions to human civilization. African Americans’ contributions and history were so distorted at the time, that slavery, peonage (being forced to do menial work), segregation and lynching were considered justifiable treatment as a result of it.

Under Woodson’s direction, African American and white scholars launched Negro History Week in 1926 to neutralize the deliberate distortion of Black History. With hopes of adding a more objective and scholarly view of Africans and African Americans to American culture and World History, meetings, exhibitions, and lectures were organized throughout the year. The pinnacle of scientific study regarding the African experience was then presented during Negro History Week. In 1972, Negro History Week became Black History Week, and in 1976, the nation's bicentennial, Black History Week became Black History Month.

Black History Month is not just about looking back at the past and paying respects to those who paved the way for what we have today, but also learning from the obstacles they have overcome. Our struggles as a society have not come to an end, but rather changed their form. If we wish to proceed with our progress, we must work with the same passion and diligence as those who have come before us.

Black History Month is also not a “pity party”, as some have said say before. Black History is not about being a victim. Black History is about overcoming oppression. While there have been unspeakable crimes committed against those who have fought for freedom and equality, there have been many others who have prospered in the face of this adversity.

In honor of Black History Month, new illustrations and/or images will be displayed each day this month at http://www.rodrigo-ny.com

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re:Black History Month . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 12:42:44 PM »
happy black history month, its time to give those crackers some knowledge

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 02:42:24 PM »
happy black history month, its time to give those crackers some knowledge

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Eazy-E RuthlessG

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 03:37:34 PM »
y does there have to be one i mean how bout an asian or canadian or mexican or white lol not that i want any i hate them cuz we have to learn about them in school and write stupid reports about it when i already know but o well happy black history month

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 05:41:58 PM »
y does there have to be one i mean how bout an asian or canadian or mexican or white lol not that i want any i hate them cuz we have to learn about them in school and write stupid reports about it when i already know but o well happy black history month

You didn't read the article. It's because of the years that Black History was not taught, so they're trying to make up for it.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

infinite59

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 05:45:39 AM »

You didn't read the article. It's because of the years that Black History was not taught, so they're trying to make up for it.

Xivart

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 02:30:49 PM »