Author Topic: Islam in America, a brief history  (Read 196 times)

infinite59

Islam in America, a brief history
« on: May 26, 2002, 11:14:35 AM »
Islam spread to Africa after Muhammad (age 66 around 600 AD) died.  The religion spread through travelers and interest in the culture not through colonialism.  Semegambia and other area's of West Africa were predominately Muslim regions.  Europe colonized area's of Africa and thus began uprooting Africans for the slave trade.  Many slaves tried to bring the Islamic religion with them to the United States but fearing slaveuprisings; slave owners washed the slaves hands of Islam and replaced the Qu'ran with the Bible.  Christianity was used as a method to encourage slaves to turn the other cheek.

A rich African spent alot of money to open up mosque's in the US during the early 1800's, and was somewhat successful in doing so.  However, it wasn't until the Prophet Drew Ali, in the early 1900's, in an effort to gain freedom and respect for blacks people, abandoned his previous relgion Christianity, and accepted Islam along with other Christian and black nationalist influences.  His followers, known as Moorish Science Muslims numbered 30,000.  There was a struggle for power within the religion and Drew Ali was murdered.  Moorish Science took a downturn after his death.  

Later, Elijah Muhammad founded the Nation of Islam.  They taught that the apocalypse and religious last day spoke of in the bible was when the blacks defeated the white race and reclaimed the land.  Black Muslims even believe that Jesus stood for blacks in America, and Judas stood for whites.

Elijah Muhammad was found to have fathered 13 illigetimate children.  Disgusted by this, his son and Malcolm X converted to traditional Islam, as practiced by 1 billion Muslims the world over.  Middle Eastern migration and more black converts would follow.  And that brings us up to today.  Peace.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: Islam in America, a brief history
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 03:36:33 PM »
Jazakumallah for that history lesson, bro
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 07:44:57 AM »
Infinite, can I ask how long you've been a muslim for? And also, what made you want to become one? I'm just curious to know  :) Your obviously deeply into your faith, which I highly respect.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

infinite59

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 12:09:37 PM »
>= link=board=thehall;num=1022447675;start=0#2 date=05/30/02 at 12:44:57]Infinite, can I ask how long you've been a muslim for? And also, what made you want to become one? I'm just curious to know  :) Your obviously deeply into your faith, which I highly respect.

Thanks for the compliment and the interest in my involvement with Islam....

Here's the order of events that lead me to Islam.

1.  Saw Malcolm X at age 13, I was blown away by the movie.

2.  As I got deeper into hip-hop I started realizing that alot of my favorite artists were heavily influenced by Islam and it comes out in their lyrics.

3.  In fall 2000, I worked nightstock at a grocery store with a Muslim from Africa at age 18.  He was 25.  He was my role model, I looked up to him, he had better character than anyone I'd every met in my life.  He would later become my Muslim mentor.

5.  In the spring of 2001 I was still 18.  And I had a breakdown, what you call hitting rock bottom.  I was living on my own, I had quit my job, quit school, I wanted to kill my x-girlfriend, none of my friends or family could help me, nobody could reach me, I converted to Islam, and through it I finally found a path of knowledge and discipline that could get me out of the rut or ditch I had been living in for many years.

If you want anymore information just Personal Message me or holler at me on AIM infinite9559  I love talking about it, I'm already mentoring two homies at the WCC.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2002, 01:36:01 AM »

1.  Saw Malcolm X at age 13, I was blown away by the movie.

Can definatly relate to that man, when I first saw that film a few years ago I was in awe of what he wanted to achieve through his faith, and as i've said it's something to marvel and admire. It made me think sometimes about actually taking up the faith but wasn't too sure, most of the religious members of my family are christians and have tried to get me involved from an early age but i've never really been that interested so in conclusion I wasn't sure if i'd ever really take to a set religion anyway. I find alot of different religions have many things I agree with, not just one so I wasn't too sure.  I sometimes wish I had a set religion though, I admire people who do, I think it shows strength.

To be honest i've never personally met a muslim before so i've only really known little things about the actual faith, but the things you've brought up has really interested me leading me to wanna know more.
When I get time, maybe this weekend i'll try and d/l AIM (I did have it once but was running v.low on space and had to get rid of it  :P) and i'll hit you up. You can school me some more then  ;D

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.