Author Topic: Trauma reviews the Grammys  (Read 587 times)

Trauma-san

Trauma reviews the Grammys
« on: February 08, 2004, 09:49:57 PM »
In the past years, you all know I've become more and more dissasociated with Rap because basically everything mainstream that I hear in Charlotte, NC is bullshit that has descended into roman paganism, lol.  Somebody said that about the Super Bowl halftime, if you wanted to make a play about the fall of the Roman empire, what would you do different? LOL Perfect way to put it; drunk and drugged people on stage, too much makeup, writhing against each other sexually, displaying little talent, etc.

Anyways, here's my review of the grammys.  

First off, the show opened with a great performance by Prince & Beyonce.  Beyonce is pretty intelligent at picking who she sings with, performs with, which way her career goes.  I think she'll easily be one of the biggest female singers of all time when it's all said and done, maybe on a level with your Aretha Franklins, etc.  Prince fucking ROCKED the house, I was glad to see him with a guitar, he's an awesome guitar player, which most people don't know.  I wish he would have done "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" that's my favorite song of his.  Purple Rain was good, though.  Beyonce didn't really add anything to the song, but just kind of made it a duet between two good singers, hell there's nothing wrong with that.  The beat and breakdown to "Crazy In Love" was nice.  Notice Beyonce is seeing all this success while staying classy, you don't see her writhing around fucking somebody in a music video.  I digress.  

Coldplay got on stage and said he hoped John Kerry would soon be 'the president of this country some day'.  He's not even american.  Fuck him.  Like Liam Gallagher said, him and his skinny-ass wife can live in France for the rest of their life for all we care.

Justin Timberlake sold his soul to the devil, and apologized for the halftime show, again, in a trade to be allowed to attend the Grammys.  On the one hand, I know he regrets what he did, and he's just trying to make everybody happy; but on the other hand, I agree with Janet.  Yall know I didn't like what they did, but they've both apologized once already, anything more than that is unnecessary and even though I think what they did was bullshit, it's time to just drop it and move on.  That means no more apologies, just get on with life.  From what I understand Janet felt the same way, and that's why she didn't show up (because they wanted her to apologize again).  Apparently Michael told her "Stop apologizing already"... hell, I agree with that.

Justin performed a song with a famous jazz trumpetist, Justin actually played keys, although it was simplistic chords anybody could play over and over again.  The song itself was pretty basic, and the only highlight of it was the jazz band behind him, and of course the trumpetist... but hey, it was good music, just good music anybody could make.  I can't hate.  Later, when he performed with the Black Eyed Peas, he couldn't even perform his rap from the song.  He just chorused what some other guy rapped... I dunno if he can't flow, or if he just didn't remember all the words.  Whatever...

I almost cried when I saw Luther Vandross.  Of course you know he had a stroke, and they tributed him with Celine Dion doing a decent version of his better than her song "Dance With My Father".  The song's about his father dying, and the lyrics talk about how he prays for his mother more than himself, it's just an amazing song.  At the end of the little tribute, big Luther himself was on the video screen talking to the people there, I felt a fucking lump in my throat, because rumours were he was really bad off... he spoke alright though, although you could tell he was having difficulty... at the end, he said "you know when I say goodbye, it's never for long, because "I believeeeeee in the power of loveeee" and belted that out in that classic voice of his.  If you've read anything about this guy, you know he's a fucking angel walking the earth.  I really believe God puts people like him here to comfort us and help us find love through their music.  They showed the crowd after Luther spoke, and everybody just kind of had this stoic look on their face like they were thinking "I hate seeing him like this".  Even if he is hurting, you can see in his face that he has the will and the spirit to overcome this shit, that's what's beautiful about a human being, their spirit.

They tributed the Beatles with Vince Gill, Sting, Dave Matthews, and Pharell! playing "I saw her standing there".  Neither Vince, Dave, or Sting could hit the notes Paul and John hit on the original, which made me wonder why the fuck they played it, lol, they kept fucking up.  Pharell was flawless on the drums, a replica of Ringo's old trap kit, (1 snare, one bass, and 1 tom).  The Neptunes also won "best producer (non classical).  Later, Olivia Harrison accepted for George, Yoko Ono accepted for John, and gave a short anti-war message that was actually kind of touching, I agree with her sentiment, and it wasn't political, she just said if John were here today, he would be honored, and he'd probalby say "Give Peace a Chance, Make Love Not War, and All You Need Is Love" and started crying.  She's probably right!  Ringo appeared from London, thanked everybody, Paul appeared from London with his guitar he played at the Ed Sullivan Theatre 40 years ago today, and played a quick line from "Yesterday" (Paul's always been one to upstage everybody else).

Evanessence won for Best New Artist, beating 50 cent, who got on stage, acted like he won, then sat back down.  What a disrespectful motherfucker, and what a horrible loser.

Snoop appeared in full pimp-regala (complete with cape) to present the Foo Fighters and a jazz player.

The White Stripes, hmm, I never knew they were just a girl and a guy, I might have to get into them.  They played, pretty original shit, the guy's voice is nuts.  

Christina Aguilera sang 'beautiful'.  I gotta go with Kelly Osbourne on this one; Kelly's always saying that Christina's too overdramtic.  I'm tired of hearing these fucking singers with good voices do these damn 4 octave scales at the end of their song.  Why the fuck does the song have to go "BEaaaaaaaaUUuauuUUuauauauuuTTTTTT it... BEAUUUitttiiiiifull LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLbeautifulllllllllllllLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLll" at the end? It's just getting disgusting.  Sing the fucking song normal.  So, she did this big huge performance of her breaking her fucking back belting out these notes over and over again.  

Speaking of Kelly, she cheered on from the audience as Sharon and Ozzy took the stage to present an award.  Ozzy is walking fine, and looked great after his accident he had last year where everybody thought he was dying.  He had a neck brace on, but was yelling and shit, and when Sharon said "And the oscar goes to" he said "Me".  LOL

Sean Paul and Sting performed together; making me lose an ounce of respect for Sting.  Sean Paul did nothing for the song, fucked it up, made it sound fucking HORRIBLE.  Kind of like all his other songs.

One of the greatest parts of the night was Samuel L. Jackson coming on stage and presenting "The Church of Funk, you can call me Reverend Samuel L" he was awesome, kind of in his old Jules persona from Pulp Fiction; he presented Earth Wind and Fire, who did a good performance of "Shining Star"; then, he presented Outkast (Big Boi) who came onstage and did "I Like the Way You Move" with Earth wind and fire... sounded gooder than a motherfucker.  Then, he announced Robert Randolph, who's a newer guy, who had some fucking AWESOME song called "More Love" or something like that.  Great performance, then he announced George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, and they all performed together.  Awesome.

Some news you won't hear about: Alison Krauss, one of the most beautiful, talented country musicians of all time, won three grammies tonight.  You won't hear about that, but she did; download any song from her, and you'll love it.

Also on the country side, Martina McBride performed an AWESOME song, "Concrete Angels"... this woman is amazing, she has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard, and did a nice huge ballad on a huge set, and just stood there behind the microphone and put it out perfect, that was one of the best moments, I thought.  You could hear the crowd talking about it after she finished and they were trying to present the next award.  Nobody outside of country music has probably ever heard of her, but she's amazing.

Andre 3000 gets props for 2 things, first off, they won for best rap album, and I guess nobody from outkast thought they would win, so they were nowhere to be found when it was announced.  Finally, after about 2 minutes, Andre showed up, scuttled on stage, grabbed the trophy, and said "Thank You" and turned and walked off.  LOL.  that's awesome.  It's refreshing because it reminds you just how fucking un-important these awards are anyways.  He's doing the music he wants to do, and doesn't really give a shit what award they get, I guess.  Later, when they won album of the year, he did thank some people though, but I thought that showed either an incredible amount of confidence that they would win again later, or just showed that he was there to perform not to accept awards.  Later, he performed Hey Ya which was of course great live.  The song's really grown on me, although the album hasn't, but since he won 3 grammies, record of the year, and has sold millions of copies with it, I guess he knows what the fuck he's doing and I don't.  I can't hate.

Suga Foot

Re:Trauma reviews the Grammys
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 10:00:53 PM »
I didn't catch the Grammies, but I'm happy outkast won for record of the year.  

MidoriHaze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 10:26:43 PM »

Evanessence won for Best New Artist, beating 50 cent, who got on stage, acted like he won, then sat back down.  What a disrespectful motherfucker, and what a horrible loser.

The White Stripes, hmm, I never knew they were just a girl and a guy, I might have to get into them.  They played, pretty original shit, the guy's voice is nuts.  

Nice review. I understand where ya coming from with not being into rap as much due to the new artists/style of today, i dont listen to as much as i used to.

Neway, yer the White Stripes album 'Elephant' has really taken off over here, check it out, it's decent. Foo Fighters deserved to win best Rock Album for One By One.

Not sure what 50 was thinking with that lil' stunt, probably not used to not recieving the spotlight, either way it's left him looking stupid and jealous. LOL @ Andre 3000's speach, 'Speakerboxxx/The Love Below' has been acclaimed 2003 best rap album by a fair few different sources, i assume he probably knew they'd win best rap album and get another chance to thank people. Or not, either way..i dunno

"People in New York won't bug you. It's so great." - John Lennon (RIP)

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 11:46:40 PM »
The Grammy's were okay I guess. I'm just happy for Outkast.

And a big fuck you to 50. If he even thought he deserved best new artist, he was wrong. I thought he was gonna win but after seeing the way he was acting, I'm glad he lost.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 02:53:49 AM »
wtf was 50 cent thinking?
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 04:24:20 AM »
im european and grammys where while everybody was sleepin here, so, what did 50 do?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 05:41:05 AM »
Im glad 50 did that, he's the real winner

50 Cent's 5 seconds Intro > Evanescence

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 06:04:04 AM »
Great review Trauma....Glad to see Outkast do well, and both performances were dope especially the one with Samuel narrating & LoL @ 50 coming to the stage when he didnt even win....

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 06:25:53 AM »
For those that didn't see it, basically, 50 cent was nominated as best new artist, along with Evanesscene, um.. Sean Paul... some chick I've never heard of... and someone else.  Anyways, when they announced Evanesscence, they, and 50 cent both went to the stage.  50 didn't shake their hands or anything, he walked right by them to the podium, then turned around, and walked back off stage, right through them.  At first I thought he shook their hands or some shit, which would have been cool, but no, the fucker was just mocking like he should have won.  I don't even like Evanesscence, but they won the fucking award, be a man about it.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 06:27:16 AM »
Forgot one: Alicia Keys did a good version of a Luther Vandross song, with a band behind her... she had somebody else playing piano in the background with her, which I didn't really understand, lol but maybe the song has 2 piano parts.  You could hear the piano playing when her hands weren't moving.  

JTSimon

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 06:54:01 AM »

lol wasn't 50 Cent suppose to perform? 50 Cent deserved that walk thru...he should fucking made a thank you speech after Evanescence.

And that remark about John Kerry was about getting W Bush out of office.

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 07:02:29 AM »
^The comments about 50 show you don't know what respect is.

^The comments about coldplay show you don't know how the voting system works.

JTSimon

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 09:13:36 AM »
^The comments about 50 show you don't know what respect is.

^The comments about coldplay show you don't know how the voting system works.

Disrespect to the Grammies not Evanescence.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 11:55:42 AM »
Speakerboxx/The Love Below was the first hip hop album to be named album of the year.

Impressive. Props to Big Boi and Dre

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 12:02:56 PM »
oh yea, Outkast didnt win record of the year....that went to Coldplay with their song "Clocks"