Author Topic: The Presidential Ego  (Read 427 times)

Trauma-san

The Presidential Ego
« on: February 09, 2004, 10:12:34 PM »
You got to be one egotistical motherfucker to run for president.  Democrat, Republican, whatever.  Think of the egos these fuckers must have.  You have to honestly believe, you are the absolute greatest leader in the United States of America.  I wouldn't even WANT to be president.  You could offer me the job tommorow and I'd stay where I am... nowhere.  Who needs that kind of headache?  When you're in office, nobody's happy with what you're doing.  If you do a good job, you get no recognition, nothing.  You get power, but power is the most useless commodity in the world, who even wants to be powerful? I'd rather be smart or funny than powerful.  Good thing I'm both.  

The thing that sparked this, and really, i'm not just picking on democrats, It holds true for George Bush and every other Republican running for president... anyways, the thing that sparked this is just how they've been focusing on the democratic primaries.  You see these guys, and i'm sorry, but most of them come off as pricks to me.  I'll run through.

Howard Dean: This guy is a fucking hothead.  I won't even get into his politics, I just want to know, why do you want to run for president? Why? It's a thankless job, who cares about the power?  Dude, be a mayor or be on the city council, they can actually get shit accomplished.  

John Kerry: I'm not just saying this because he's going to be the candidate, like I said, it holds true for Bush too... but Kerry, come on man, you look like a fucking JERK out there.  He just strikes me as this rich guy from massachusets, who's lived rich his whole life, and now his next big prize he wants is to be elected president because he's not happy with where he is.  Can you believe this motherfucker had the audacity to talk about how he had to mortgage his collection of Fine art paintings to finance his campaign? What for? Shit, i'd sit at home with the paintings, fuck running for president.  You don't get shit accomplished, and hell I don't even know how to run the country in the first place.  All you do is what others tell you to do, fuck it, let somebody else fight the fight.  It ain't worth the stress.  I mean, this fucker builds model boats as a hobby.  Think about that shit.  

Look at this guy.  Does he represent any part of you?  He just disgusts me looking at him with his smug look on his face like "OH SHIT I ALMOST WON" he's not concerned about us, he's just trying to catch a fucking bigger fish to hang on his mantle.  Don't get me wrong; I don't hate the guy; i'm sure he's a nice guy in real life, but man, It just boggles my mind that anybody like him would run for president.  Why?  

Next up, lets pick on John Edwards.  He's from North Carolina, and again, i completely disagree with his politics, but I can tell he's a nice guy.  He's intelligent, women say he looks good, he's young, but man... you've made 70 million dollars as a trial lawyer.  Retire, LOL.  Fuck, why be president? I just don't get it.  I honestly think, sincerely, I believe this, while he's not trying to hurt anybody or mislead anybody, I think the only reason he's running for president is so that later on he can say he's a former president.  I shit you not, it's all about the career. He's young, this would make him the most famous person in the world, one of the youngest presidents, it's just a career thing for him.  Shit, I live in NC and he hasn't done shit for me, for the past 2 years, he hasn't even BEEN here, because he abandoned his post as elected official to run for president.  He doesn't do shit for us, which proves to me that his career is more important than his job, if you understand what I mean by that.  Again, I don't hate the guy, I actually like him against the other candidates, but I don't see why he's running.

Wesley Clark - I like this guy, too, because he seems like a nice man.  The problem I see with him, though, is that he appears to just be a puppet of somebody, I believe the Clintons are behind his running for office.  He's being ran by somebody, maybe an assistant, or the Clintons, or whatever.  He seems like a loveable guy, but shit, just a year ago he was holding fund raisers and shit for George Bush, now he's condemning him on television, it gives me the impression maybe somebody's paid him or offered him something to run for office... his positions have completely flip flopped, he goes back and forth on issues.  Like I said, I don't have a bad word about the guy, I like the guy... but why is he running for office? I jsut don't get it, honestly.  Apparently he was a good war general, and he seems nice enough, but damn, he doesn't know anything about being the president of the United States, all of his plans and ideas it seems like aren't even his, he's just trying to explain what's been explained to him, or something.  He probably would make a good democratic vice president, though, since a Vice President doesn't have to have much clout, and hell, why not hire a nice guy that looks good to fill the spot? Couldn't hurt things.  Whoever wins the nomination, should pick Clark as their VP, because even I LIKE the guy, I just don't agree with any of his politics.  

I really can't complain about Al Sharpton.  The way I see it, If I was going to vote democrat, I'd probably vote for him.  He's the only one I see (with possibly the exception of Edwards) who at least is half-way in touch with the normal people in America.  Wesley Clark probably is, but to me, again, he's obviously not running things.  Anyways, Sharpton to me is pretty cool, because he doesn't bullshit people.  I think he's probably straight up lying sometimes, but honestly, he's the only one of all of them that just doesn't give a fuck what people say.  He'll say anything, he don't care.  He talks normal.  He acts like a human being instead of a fucking ironing board.  He'd probably fart in the oval office and apologize on t.v..... he just seems like a normal person to me.  I mean, he's done all kinds of questionable financial shit over the years, pulled the race card 10 thousand times, supported every convicted black superstar that has ever been convicted, all kinds of shit, been caught up in lie after lie after lie, but like I said, shit, he's a normal person, LOL.  I can't hate him, becuase he is who he is.  The other guys are fake, and think WE DONT KNOW they're fake.  At least Sharpton doesn't give a fuck if we know or not.

Last but not least, we have George W. Bush.  I like George Bush, a lot, as a person, I think he's a nice guy, I think he generally is trying to do the absolute best job he can for the American People, I honestly, truly believe that.  I have yet, despite 4 years of bitching from the other side, heard him say 1 thing I felt was a straight out lie.  He's said things that I think maybe he's been misinformed on, and I've seen times when I think he didn't know what he was talking about, or didn't understand the situation or what was going on, but I honestly, truly believe he's trying his best to do what he can.  I also believe that he's slightly out of his league.  He's not the mastermind at politics that presidents in the past have been, such as Ronald Reagan, who ran shit like the mafia, or John Kennedy, who was a fucking genius, again, even though I don't agree with some of his democratic beliefs.  I think George has a good team around him, he's a hard worker, and an honest man, and together they get shit done, one way or the other, good or bad.  I question his aspirations, though, too.  Why did he run for president? His dad was president, yeah, but I just don't understand the motive behind why you want that kind of power, or that kind of responsibility.  Being president, while I believe he's done a good job, to me is not what George Bush was meant to do.  Sure, he could pull it off, but hell he's stretching himself.  He would be much better as the president of a company or as an entreprenuer or something.  I just don't understand: what made him go into politics? Again, like I said, I don't think he's doing a bad job; i'm not criticising him... I just don't understand what makes your ego so big that you want to be president.  Even him, as much as I like the guy, you see him just posing, and trying to act like something he isn't.  He has to restrain himself from saying "Well, what do you think ,dumbass?" in interviews, things like that, you can tell he's out of his element.  

Look how he's cheezing in that picture.  George, that's not you.  You're a normal person, you're trying to act like something you're not.  

I jsut don't understand why people dont want to be ordinary people, there's nothing wrong with it.  

Trauma-san

Re:The Presidential Ego
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 10:18:30 PM »
P.S. - here's where I"m going with this, I didn't properly explain it all in the past post.  My problem with the whole system is, when did we get turned around 180 degrees?  Nowadays, who runs for office? The people that can win it.  The only reason they run is because they CAN.  The people that NEED to run for office don't even try or have a shot.  When election comes around, all the democrats go "who do we have that could beat Bush?" and all the republicans go "Who do we have that could beat clinton?"

Now, flash that black and white against the first president of this great nation.  Why was he president?  I'll tell you why; because we NEEDED him to be president.  George Washington didn't command the role of president, he didn't strive for it, he became president because everybody thought he would be the best man for the job, out of EVERY FUCKING BODY.  And at the end of his term, you know what he did? He took this new kingdom he had, and he turned it into a democracy by GIVING IT AWAY.  He could have been the King of America, but instead, he stepped down, and conceded the election to his replacement.  He fucking WALKED AWAY! Why? Because he was a great man, and understood that he was working for the people, and that the people NEEDED him to walk away.  

Find 1 shred of that attitude or ambition of purpose in any body running for office today.  

Doggystylin

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 10:24:32 PM »
respectable and reasonable post, i agree with a lot of the things you said, especially bout al sharpton, tha dood just seems flat out cool and wouldnt give a shit what people would tell him to do.[political people] and thats probably why he isnt going anywhere, the politicians arent happy with him and dont think they could control him but yeah president? what a shitty job. lol

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 10:30:50 PM »
Now, I'll give some examples of whom I would like to see as president.  I don't even know their political affiliation, but these types of people.  Most are famous musicians or actors, because that's the only national names we all know.

Bono.  He's probably a democrat, but shit, the guy has passion.  He seems like he actually fucking cares.  He was poor, he worked his ass off, now he's rich.  I think he could probably help the country, and he'd do it because he wanted to help the country, not to make a name for himself.

Arnold - I was glad to see him win, because he's somebody who isn't going to fake it.  He's full of optimism, he's a hard worker, he's trying his best, and the absoulte only reason he's doing it, is because he thinks he can make a change, and wants to help people.

A lot of people say Oprah, but I dunno about her.  I love Oprah, but I don't know about her and politics.

Mel Gibson. This guy is one of the most together, passionate people you'll ever hear from.  He thinks, he's clever, he is serious about shit, he loves everybody.  He could be a great politician.

Notice this doesn't hold true to everybody famous that I like, so dont' give me that shit.  Ozzy? No, no, ozzy would not be a good president.  Michael? No, that would be disastrous.  John Lennon? No, that would be the biggest bunch of bullshit of all time.

I'm just saying, and it's cheezy to use actors and singers, but seriously, get some fucking normal people in there in office.  Around the United states, you have HUNDREDS of local mayors who are all very, very intelligent and passionate people who generally care about helping people.  Elect them president.  

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 06:00:48 AM »
Around the United states, you have HUNDREDS of local mayors who are all very, very intelligent and passionate people who generally care about helping people.  Elect them president.  

And they all want to be President - they just don't have the money to be.

Why is John Edwards not normal?  He is the absolute personification of the American dream - son of a farmer or whatever, who made it.  How do you know he doesn't want to help people?  You are saying that any successful person is not normal, yet people who achieved only a degree of success in relation to Edwards, Clark, Kerry etc. are normal.  

Two Presidents who were not 'normal' were Dubya Bush and JFK who both had daddies rich enough and powerful enough to get them elected.  But contrast them with someone like Lyndon Johnson, poor beginnings who had seen real struggle and then almost singlehandedly passed into law civil rights and medicare/medicaid - and try and say they don't care or want to do it for career purposes.

The George Washington point is just so out of context you can't compare it.  A new nation trying to establish itself after shaking off it's masters in war cannot be compared to the most powerful developed nation on earth.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 07:16:24 AM »
You're not from America, so you maybe missed the Edwards comment, but he's a senator from my state. Look, man, He was elected senator 4 years ago.  2 years ago, he stopped performing his duties here, so he could run for president.  Come on man.  He doesn't care a shit about me, he doesn't even do his JOB.  He's an elected official, and doesn't even have the common courtesy to do what he was elected to do, BY the people.  

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 01:20:37 PM »

Arnold - I was glad to see him win, because he's somebody who isn't going to fake it.  He's full of optimism, he's a hard worker, he's trying his best, and the absoulte only reason he's doing it, is because he thinks he can make a change, and wants to help people.

Well he already has faked it in Cali...pretending to be anti special interest but the rest of those people are ok

pappy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 01:36:52 PM »
al sharpton is a piece of shit.  an im not sayin cuz im white an hes black.  most black people in ny will even agree with me an says hes a asshole.  they kno hes only out for himself.  look whenever hes in the media.... hes only there cuz it benefitting him some how

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 01:39:24 PM »
al sharpton is a piece of shit.  an im not sayin cuz im white an hes black.  most black people in ny will even agree with me an says hes a asshole.  they kno hes only out for himself.  look whenever hes in the media.... hes only there cuz it benefitting him some how

Yeah I used to like that guy but he's no better than any other politician.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Soul_On_Ice

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 02:51:21 PM »
The founding fathers were people who actually cared about the country, cared about the people, and wanted what's best for US. However, you don't see that in the presidents of our time, or most of the presidents that have held office in the past. Kennedy, whom most people consider to be great, lied his ass off just as much as any other president. Clinton fits the same description. They were both "good" presidents, but just like others, they lied. Back to the point, most of these guys are just out for their own image, but then we also have people like Kucinich and Ralph Nader. Nader is the 1st person that comes to mind when I think of someone who really deserves to be president, and would make a good president. He has done more for this country out of office than Bush has in office. This leads me to another point, Republicans and the party's followers bitch about Democrats "expanding" government because Democrats expand social programs. As far as I can remember Bush has INCREASED spending, and INCREASED our deficit.

Oh, I also just read that Bill O'Reilly is starting to have doubts about the Bush administration. LMAO.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 04:25:31 PM »
my only coment is bush is funny and powerfull, yet not smart....( funny as in to laugh at him)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 08:17:39 PM »
Kucinich is the only person running for president right now that I have complete faith that he truly believes in his job. Honestly, the man in 1978, when he was the youngest mayor of a major American city in history, ran into a problem.  I'ma use the old copy paste method from the LA Times, 'cause I'm too tired to type it out myself, and the LA Times says it better anyways... lol But what happened put his political career back 15 years, but he stuck by his beliefs, and did what he felt was right. In the end, people realized he was right too.

The date was Dec. 15, 1978, and Kucinich — precocious, pugnacious and ambitious — was, at 31, the nation's youngest big-city mayor. He had won office on a promise to cancel the sale of Cleveland's municipal power company, Muny Light, to a competing private utility. But six banks threatened not to renew the city's credit on $15 million in loans unless Kucinich agreed to sell by midnight.

Downstairs in the Italian-marbled City Hall, Cleveland's treasurer and the president of one of the banks watched the minutes tick by, waiting to see if Kucinich would back down. Upstairs, the mayor and council bickered. Kucinich stood firm. The clock struck midnight, and Cleveland became the first American city to default on its debts since the Great Depression.

The boyish-looking 5-foot-7, 140-pound mayor, nicknamed Dennis the Menace by the business community he had alienated, held to his belief that the private utility, Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co., and its banking friends, most of whom were CEI shareholders, were out to gouge the city.

If Muny Light had been swallowed by CEI, he believed, it would have cost Cleveland millions of dollars in higher rates and especially burdened working-class homeowners.

"Two things about Dennis have never changed," said Jack Schulman, a Harvard-educated lawyer who worked in the beleaguered Kucinich administration. "One, he is absolutely honest and you never have to wonder whether he's taken a position because someone bought him off. Two, he's committed to working people."

The default, and the exile that followed, became both Kucinich's political coffin and his eventual springboard to redemption. It clung to him like a shadow, from the West where he fled after the Cleveland debacle in pursuit of a new life to Iowa and New Hampshire where, in the winter of 2004, he campaigns for the Democratic presidential nomination using a light bulb as his symbol and the slogan "Light Up America."

"You come to certain moments in your life, which are key and defining moments, which tell a lot about who you are," Kucinich told Cleveland magazine in 1996. "And for me, everything came down to that moment. Who I was. Where I'd been. Who I grew up with. How I grew up. What my aspirations were. What I hoped to do. What I hoped to be…. And it all came down to my saying, 'No, I'm not going to sell that electric system no matter what the consequences are to me personally.' "

After the default, Kucinich survived a recall by 236 votes. But savaged in the local media and unpopular with the black and business communities, the Police Department and city hall bureaucrats, he was swept out of office in a landslide in 1979. He had dreamed as a child of being Cleveland's mayor, and his two-year fulfillment of that dream had been marked by tumult, national derision and, in the end, a humiliating defeat. ...

...But even his critics came to admit that Kucinich was formidable. Knocked out of the political arena in 1979, he returned to Cleveland from his Western wanderings in 1983 and won a seat on the council.

"I don't think anyone, including me, thought this was a big comeback," he said. "I was only back to where I started. But I was reconnected."

Perhaps more important, Clevelanders were starting to believe Kucinich had been right about Muny Light, especially after members of a congressional staff concluded, in 1980, that the default had been politically motivated. History was about to be rewritten by the loser.

In 1993, then-Cleveland Mayor Michael White cited Kucinich's "wisdom" in not selling the utility, and in 1998 the council honored the deposed mayor for having the "courage and foresight" to stand up to the banks. The utility, now known as Cleveland Public Power, provides low-cost electricity that saved the city an estimated $195 million between 1985 and 1995. One of the new buildings in its expanded plant is named for Kucinich

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 09:05:39 PM »

I agree with you.. .but Tom my point was, I think most politicians are like that, and try to hide it... and they think we're stupid enough to fall for it.  Sharpton KNOWS we know he's a crook, but doesn't care.  In that respect at least, he's at least partially respectable.  

infinite59

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 06:03:32 AM »
Kucinich is the only person running for president right now that I have complete faith that he truly believes in his job. Honestly, the man in 1978, when he was the youngest mayor of a major American city in history, ran into a problem.  I'ma use the old copy paste method from the LA Times, 'cause I'm too tired to type it out myself, and the LA Times says it better anyways... lol But what happened put his political career back 15 years, but he stuck by his beliefs, and did what he felt was right. In the end, people realized he was right too.

The date was Dec. 15, 1978, and Kucinich — precocious, pugnacious and ambitious — was, at 31, the nation's youngest big-city mayor. He had won office on a promise to cancel the sale of Cleveland's municipal power company, Muny Light, to a competing private utility. But six banks threatened not to renew the city's credit on $15 million in loans unless Kucinich agreed to sell by midnight.

Downstairs in the Italian-marbled City Hall, Cleveland's treasurer and the president of one of the banks watched the minutes tick by, waiting to see if Kucinich would back down. Upstairs, the mayor and council bickered. Kucinich stood firm. The clock struck midnight, and Cleveland became the first American city to default on its debts since the Great Depression.

The boyish-looking 5-foot-7, 140-pound mayor, nicknamed Dennis the Menace by the business community he had alienated, held to his belief that the private utility, Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co., and its banking friends, most of whom were CEI shareholders, were out to gouge the city.

If Muny Light had been swallowed by CEI, he believed, it would have cost Cleveland millions of dollars in higher rates and especially burdened working-class homeowners.

"Two things about Dennis have never changed," said Jack Schulman, a Harvard-educated lawyer who worked in the beleaguered Kucinich administration. "One, he is absolutely honest and you never have to wonder whether he's taken a position because someone bought him off. Two, he's committed to working people."

The default, and the exile that followed, became both Kucinich's political coffin and his eventual springboard to redemption. It clung to him like a shadow, from the West where he fled after the Cleveland debacle in pursuit of a new life to Iowa and New Hampshire where, in the winter of 2004, he campaigns for the Democratic presidential nomination using a light bulb as his symbol and the slogan "Light Up America."

"You come to certain moments in your life, which are key and defining moments, which tell a lot about who you are," Kucinich told Cleveland magazine in 1996. "And for me, everything came down to that moment. Who I was. Where I'd been. Who I grew up with. How I grew up. What my aspirations were. What I hoped to do. What I hoped to be…. And it all came down to my saying, 'No, I'm not going to sell that electric system no matter what the consequences are to me personally.' "

After the default, Kucinich survived a recall by 236 votes. But savaged in the local media and unpopular with the black and business communities, the Police Department and city hall bureaucrats, he was swept out of office in a landslide in 1979. He had dreamed as a child of being Cleveland's mayor, and his two-year fulfillment of that dream had been marked by tumult, national derision and, in the end, a humiliating defeat. ...

...But even his critics came to admit that Kucinich was formidable. Knocked out of the political arena in 1979, he returned to Cleveland from his Western wanderings in 1983 and won a seat on the council.

"I don't think anyone, including me, thought this was a big comeback," he said. "I was only back to where I started. But I was reconnected."

Perhaps more important, Clevelanders were starting to believe Kucinich had been right about Muny Light, especially after members of a congressional staff concluded, in 1980, that the default had been politically motivated. History was about to be rewritten by the loser.

In 1993, then-Cleveland Mayor Michael White cited Kucinich's "wisdom" in not selling the utility, and in 1998 the council honored the deposed mayor for having the "courage and foresight" to stand up to the banks. The utility, now known as Cleveland Public Power, provides low-cost electricity that saved the city an estimated $195 million between 1985 and 1995. One of the new buildings in its expanded plant is named for Kucinich

Finally.. someone else who's been paying attention to Kucinich.  He has the best ideas of any of the candidates.  He's the only Democrat I would vote for.  If not him, I'm votin for a third party.

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 08:58:30 AM »
All politicians are sneaky powerlusted people. Just accept it. In the end,it doesn't matter who's in charge because you're getting fucked anyway.

Good honest,friendly people don't become president.

The Germans have a saying wich goes something like "Modesty is a great charm,but you'll get further without it."
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..