Author Topic: rap cds = baseball cards ????  (Read 161 times)

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
rap cds = baseball cards ????
« on: February 09, 2004, 11:45:59 AM »
does anyone else notice the collectivity of rap cds in america? i'm seeing cds that i once had to wade through in order to find what i liked are now costing 40 bucks and more because of their "rarity." i'm seeing price tags upwards of fifty bucks on cds like "ras kass - soul on ice", "andre nickatina - cocaine raps vol. 1 and raven in my eyes", "penthouse players clique..", "hi-c", above the law", "nwa", "bg knocc out and dresta"....etc, etc...

i remember seeing these cds, multiple times, in used cd bins for less than 5 dollars and never picked them up...yet now, they're going for as much as a hundred dollars on ebay, half, and gemm.com....it's amazing to me. and it's strange because now, i'll be in a music store, and will check out all the used stuff, write it down, then rush home, check the internet to see it's rarity, and rush back to pick it up. for example, there's a brand new copy of 'bg knocc out and dresta' for $5 at my local cd store this very instant which i just found out is rare...hence i'm going to pick it up after work.

it reminds me of baseball cards and what they were to our fathers and uncles and grandfathers. they used to put baseball cards in the spokes of their bikes because they made a cool sound. nowadays you see some of those cards selling for thousands of dollars, which i'm sure isn't too far fetched in the future for some rap cds.....

the only thing different i see is that cds are a bit more useful cuz you can listen to them....

Don Seer

Re:rap cds = baseball cards ????
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 11:47:45 AM »
some of that shit aint rare, some ppl just stupid :)

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 12:00:46 PM »
^^ yeah, but, i wouldn't mind sellin something i just bought for 5 bucks for 50 - i wouldn't mind being the recipient of them wasting their money on something stupid, you know?....

another reason i think rap cds are starting to remind me of baseball cards is that, they're starting to have cd's that are prepackaged with prizes, ie: jay z and g unit cds with a chance to win a car or a medallion.....

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »
i dont know, i dont see much in the collectivity of cds. music is music to me, regardless of what format it is on, whether its a mp3 mixed or whatever. i mean although the OG copy is always better, i just dont see any sort of point in paying hella more money for an original cd.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 01:10:48 PM »
^^ i wish i could say the same. i have a serious issue with burned copies and mp3s. and it sucks because it's just such an expensive habit.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 02:24:25 PM »
Posted by: JTPlatnum  Posted on: Today at 09:00:46pm  
^^ yeah, but, i wouldn't mind sellin something i just bought for 5 bucks for 50 - i wouldn't mind being the recipient of them wasting their money on something stupid, you know?....

another reason i think rap cds are starting to remind me of baseball cards is that, they're starting to have cd's that are prepackaged with prizes, ie: jay z and g unit cds with a chance to win a car or a medallion.....

added value to help cds sell due to it being so easily avaliable on the net

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 03:46:10 PM »
some of that shit aint rare, some ppl just stupid :)

Yup.  I sell stuff at the flea market, you'd be amazed what you can get out of things.  I have products I buy at RETAIL for 3 bucks on one side of town, and sell for 12 at the flea market.  The value of anything is only what people are willing to pay.  

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 10:03:26 PM »
I saw the Konnektid Project selling on Amazon for $39.99 and Nine's Cloud 9 selling on half for some obscene amount, well over $50. I paid $1.99 for that cd.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels