Author Topic: turntables and sound quality  (Read 148 times)

We Fly High

turntables and sound quality
« on: February 12, 2004, 01:31:21 AM »
im looking into buying a turntable just to play music, not scratchin or any of that DJ shit.. but i was wonderin  about a few quick things..
i heard that the quality of the turntable doesnt really affect the sound, but rather its all about the sound system & speakers that you hook it up to. can anyone clarify this up for me, if its true or not. i was prob just looking into buying a pretty basic ass turntable, that costs like 150$, the vestax handytrax. the portable one. but i'll just hook it up to a system. anyone have any experience with that vestax table, or can give me any other suggestions within the 100-200 range for a cool setup. once again not for DJ purposes, just for playing, so it can be basic one.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 01:31:41 AM by justin718 »

We Fly High

Re:turntables and sound quality
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 03:58:25 AM »
no one knows anything bout this?

West C. Connected

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 04:29:22 AM »
If you don't want to DJ, why don't you just use CDs?

Don Dolla

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 04:49:48 AM »
maybe the guy bought an LP with rare tracks he cant find on the net or on CD and wants 2 listen 2 em?

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 07:40:38 AM »

Probably because:

1) Vinyl has an almost warmer sound to it than cd, some stuff, especially more mellow tracks seem to sound better on vinyl than on cd.
2) You can get so much old school soul, funk, etc as they were originally recorded really cheap on vinyl rather than paying full price for a remastered cd.

West C. Connected

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 07:53:34 AM »

Probably because:

1) Vinyl has an almost warmer sound to it than cd, some stuff, especially more mellow tracks seem to sound better on vinyl than on cd.
2) You can get so much old school soul, funk, etc as they were originally recorded really cheap on vinyl rather than paying full price for a remastered cd.

Does Vinyl sound better than CDs?

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 07:57:40 AM »
Like I said, it seems to sound warmer if you understand what I mean. Which you prefer is personal preference obviously, but for older stuff, and more recent mellower stuff I prefer listening to it on vinyl than cd.

We Fly High

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 12:23:16 PM »
yeah in my opinion, its a much better sound, a much more complete and fulfilling sound. damn, but none of u guys ever asnwered my ?s...  

i heard that the quality of the turntable doesnt really affect the sound, but rather its all about the sound system & speakers that you hook it up to. can anyone clarify this up for me, if its true or not. i was prob just looking into buying a pretty basic ass turntable, that costs like 150$, the vestax handytrax. the portable one. but i'll just hook it up to a system. anyone have any experience with that vestax table, or can give me any other suggestions within the 100-200 range for a cool setup. once again not for DJ purposes, just for playing, so it can be basic one.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 01:23:57 PM »
To be honest, I don't really know man. The turntable I use is the one which came with my stereo when I bought it, so I've never really read into it any furthur than that. I wouldn't think the sound would be effected by the quality of the turntable, but the cheaper a turntable is the more likely I would think it is to have needle problems sooner than a more expensive one.

We Fly High

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 01:19:41 AM »
d-metro, haha, i think a turntable would make a lot of kanye's track sound real nice. so you should look into one.

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 04:27:24 AM »
I bought a cheap old one second hand for $15(australian) which is about $25 US.

If your just using it for playing, then find the cheapest one possible. See if ur parents have one old one laying around or one of ur mates parents.

I have a vinyl player to samples songs, play my rare records and i generally like the sound better.

West C. Connected

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 01:20:32 PM »
d-metro, haha, i think a turntable would make a lot of kanye's track sound real nice. so you should look into one.

Oohhh I've got a vinyl player..
I'll buy some of Kanye's shit on vinyl then. 8)