Poll

Agree or Disagree?

Classic
18 (45%)
Not Classic
22 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: fuck it, KanyeWest debut album is...  (Read 1031 times)

PLANT

fuck it, KanyeWest debut album is...
« on: February 17, 2004, 06:20:24 AM »
Classic.....IMO, ........Ive been listenin to this album "College Dropout" for a week straight now, havnt bumped anything else.  Theres no filler at all on this whole cd, and every song is bangin and has its own feel to it.  This guy makes music from his heart and the album has a dope, fresh, consistant sound all the way through.   It almost has an Arrested Development new school feel to it, Even the skits are funny (altho not needed).  This is def. the kind of album hiphop needs right now.  

Remember this is my opinion, if you agree, cool.  If not, well then drop what you think of the album.

Peace
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 06:23:28 AM by Represent. »

Don Seer

Re:fuck it, KanyeWest debut album is...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 06:24:20 AM »
not sure about classic.. i've only bumped it a lil bit. its a bit too commercial for me in places.. but the qualities solid :)

West C. Connected

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 06:48:00 AM »
This guy makes music from his heart and the album has a dope, fresh, consistant sound all the way through.   It almost has an Arrested Development new school feel to it, Even the skits are funny (altho not needed).  This is def. the kind of album hiphop needs right now.  

EXACTLY what I was thinking. ;)
It's classic to me.

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 07:23:36 AM »
No

There are alot of very hot tracks and could be a classic but let's say there are 8 top notch tracks (4.5-5/5 for example) but there are 21 tracks here.  The couple of average-to-weak tracks and waste-of-track-skits get in the way and put too many holes in the album.  If he kept it to 10-14 tracks he probably would have ended up with a classic.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

Storm

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 07:47:32 AM »
Honestly, i think its terrible.  I was so hyped for this CD and i think its garbage. Obviously Kanye's producing is great in general and on a lot of this album, but i just wasnt feeling the songs.  There were at most 4 tracks that i was feeling on the whole album.  Black Album and Kamikazee are much better than this.

peace
If tha bitch can't swim, then shes bound to drizzound!

PLANT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 08:03:05 AM »
No

There are alot of very hot tracks and could be a classic but let's say there are 8 top notch tracks (4.5-5/5 for example) but there are 21 tracks here.  The couple of average-to-weak tracks and waste-of-track-skits get in the way and put too many holes in the album.  If he kept it to 10-14 tracks he probably would have ended up with a classic.

Ok cool,  just wondering what tracks you considered average to weak? Cuz personally I didnt think there were any average to weak tracks on the whole album.

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 08:08:57 AM »
Ok cool,  just wondering what tracks you considered average to weak? Cuz personally I didnt think there were any average to weak tracks on the whole album.

"Get Em High" and "The New Workout Plan" for example.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

eS El Duque

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »
hell no...not a classic...only songs i like are Hit Em High and Jesus Walks

PLANT

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 09:01:21 AM »
Well I dont expect everyone to agree with me, hell I dont expect anyone to even agree with me.  Anytime someone calls out on a classic album people are always gonna disagree, but IMO this album is really powerful and soulful and its the perfect album for Represent and the kinda shit I wanna hear.

Don Breezio

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 09:12:56 AM »
i dont have this yet and i wont have it until thursday...but i can already tell you i wont agree...with as man skits there are on this album im very dissapointed w/out even hearing it. skits suck.

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 09:23:22 AM »
...Theres no filler at all on this whole cd, and every song is bangin and has its own feel to it.  This guy makes music from his heart and the album has a dope, fresh, consistant sound all the way through [...] This is def. the kind of album hiphop needs right now...

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 10:54:44 AM »
to me its classic, i dont think its perfect tho, its like a 8-8.5/ 10, but its a classic just cause its so different, all this bullshit is coming out now, a lot is the same, thats why i love Jedi mind tricks or canibus, cause its not the same as every other fuckin rapper, this cd had this it was different, i think its def a classic,

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 11:06:56 AM »
ive been bumpin this cd all the time for the last month, def a classic

teecee

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 11:54:41 AM »
I dont think the cd is classic, but MANY classic cds are not flawless despite what everyone thinks.  I also wish i never heard the advance, because i really miss the ORIGINAL Family BUsiness, and Home.  If those two tracks were on there.........i havent even bought the album cuz i made my own copy, but i think ill cop it soon

We Fly High

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 11:59:12 AM »
i like it a lot nad have been playing it pretty much nonstop for the past month, and its pretty damn good and i havent gotten tired of it,  and prob one of the best cds ive purchased in a few years, but still not a classic.
i dont really like teh skits
but the feel and type of music on the cd is a lot different than almost everything coming out within these past few years. its refreshing to hear him talk about new topics even though his lyrics arent at the top of the game.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 12:08:44 PM by justin718 »