Author Topic: Is Music Really That Evil & Possesive?!?  (Read 291 times)

=[Euthanasia]=

Is Music Really That Evil & Possesive?!?
« on: April 30, 2002, 07:27:17 AM »
I was reading this article today in The Sun newspaper & it was about that kid from Germany who shot up his school a few days ago. It was based on how investigators claimed that Slipknot's music had caused that kid to go through with what he did, apparently they found their tape in his room or something. I've seen these kinds of reports before, there's been a few relating to Eminem's music, the most recent I read about through The Source magazine (the media world section). It reported on how some magazine published a story that had the brother of a 13 year old girl who had commited suicide basically blaming Em's music. This girl was depressed due to bullying at school etc & found solace in Em's music. I listen to Em's music, I relate & find comfort in hip-hop which is renouned for it's violent subject matters in some cases but I don't go out & act out some gangsta shit just because they talk about it in their records! I choose to do things on my own account, & i'll take responsiblity for my actions. I personally don't believe music, or any kind of media should take blame for acts like these, I mean to go out & blatently kill people you have to have something mentally wrong with you in the first place. What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Trauma-san

Re: Is Music Really That Evil & Possesive?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 08:55:18 AM »
Generally speaking, negative music is a basic evil.  But to the extreme these kids took it, like you said, there was already something wrong.  People are either good, or bad, or a shade in between, lol.  The music's not going to make you do something, but it (in my opinion) kind of brings you down and keeps you from growing, if it's negative.  

Like Chris rock said

"Screw Marilyn Manson... I wanna know what was in HITLERS Tape Deck"

and Chris Rock on the columbine kids

"Aw, boo hoo, they didn't have any friends.  Hello, there was 6 of them son of a b*tches!  I didn't have six friends in High School.  Hell, I don't have 6 friends Now!"

That's exactly how I feel about the whole subject.  People (hitler) are evil anyways, music didn't make them do it.  And the kids in columbine had major issues, LOL.  

Big_Loco_FME

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 09:34:24 AM »
Put it this way, how many records have Slipknot sold? I'm guessing plenty. Does everyone who hears their cd, or even a large percentage of people who hear it, go kill some folks? Fuck no they don't!

these people are fucked up already, the media always looking for a scapegoat to take the blame off themselves and the system.

remember the same shit happened with Brotha Lynch Hung. now how many people here bump his shit? i know i do sometimes, and i dont think any homicidal tendencies have been brought out just yet.

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 09:45:53 AM »
Generally speaking, negative music is a basic evil.  But to the extreme these kids took it, like you said, there was already something wrong.  People are either good, or bad, or a shade in between, lol.  The music's not going to make you do something, but it (in my opinion) kind of brings you down and keeps you from growing, if it's negative.  

Like Chris rock said

"Screw Marilyn Manson... I wanna know what was in HITLERS Tape Deck"

and Chris Rock on the columbine kids

"Aw, boo hoo, they didn't have any friends.  Hello, there was 6 of them son of a b*tches!  I didn't have six friends in High School.  Hell, I don't have 6 friends Now!"

That's exactly how I feel about the whole subject.  People (hitler) are evil anyways, music didn't make them do it.  And the kids in columbine had major issues, LOL.  

w0rd, and mr loc is on point too ...

Blamin shit on music is jus retarded, theres sum music i dont like, [slipknot etc] but i aint gonna say they are evil.  The kid chooses to be influcned in a BAD way....so they already fucked up.....or lack self esteem etc.  Shit, even in 2pacs music he mentioned killin ppl, but i aint gonna go around shootin ppl, thaz jus insane, so my point is.  Music is the food of the soul, and i mean all kinds of music.  I dont like slipknot n shit like dat, but there r a lotta ppl who like that kinda music, why? cuz it touches them in their soul.  It matches with the vibration.  So all music is good music, its universal, blamin shit on music is retarded, peace

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 10:03:46 AM »
Lemme clarify what I said a lil' bit, LOL.

I agree with yall, music don't make people go kill people.

But, I think, if someone has negative tendencies, like say they're depressed... and they listen to depressing music, it reinforces that.  Like if you're sitting around listening to Frank Sinatra's "It was a very good year" and you're all depressed about how your life sucks now, and it used to be good... that song's gonna make you feel even worse.

If you're listening to Some sad, depressing song, you cannot deny that that's gonna just make you feel worse.  All of yall have had experience with that, I'm sure of it.

Now, the same thing goes for other music.  Charles Manson was crazy, and when he heard the beatles White album, which is pretty crazy, it reinforced his insanity.  

Similarly, if a kid is depressed, hates the world, wants revenge on people, hates authority.. when he listens to Marilyn Manson, Eminem, ICP, Etc. and they're talking about killing people, etc... he's not in the right frame of mind to take the music in it's proper context.  

So, it's up to the individual to decide what he wants to listen to.  If you're all depressed, you gotta be out of your mind to pop in a slow jam cd, or a cd full of love songs.  If you're half-crazy, and pissed off, you probably shouldn't listen to Rage Against the Machine.  But it's a personal decision, because I ai'nt nobodys babysitter, nah what I mean?

Like, Einstein could listen to Eminem, and think it's funny.  The kids in columbine listened to him, and got ideas.  That's what i'm tryna say.  People gotta watch what they're doing, and in a KIDS point of view, that's up to their parents to pick what they want them to listen to.

Personally, I don't listen to too much hardcore/gangsta rap anymore, because I feel it doesn't teach me anything, it's just negativity on me.  Other people get a lot out of it. If you're one of the people who think they're learning from it, then good for you, that's your deal.. but personally, it's doing me more harm then good.  So I don't listen to it, that's my personal decision, nobody elses.  I know I probably wouldn't let my kids listen to it, either, but once they get to a certain age, I can't make all their decisions for them, anymore.  

That's just how I see it, it's everybody's responsibility to listen to music responsibly.  I don't think music causes violence, or any of that, but in the right mind frame, anything can be a bad influence.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2002, 12:00:35 PM »
I know where your coming from Trauma, I mean if music, or any form of media at that, can influence someone to do an act of good then it can certainly do the same for an act of evil, BUT as i've said it takes someone with severe mental problems to even think of doing something like a mass murder in the first place  :o

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2002, 12:10:22 PM »
i agree with trauma here, i think hes on point