Author Topic: Why Christians think the end is near......  (Read 1020 times)

infinite59

Why Christians think the end is near......
« on: April 10, 2002, 10:29:53 PM »
KEEP THIS DEBATE RESPECTABLE.  IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS THEORY, COOL, WE CAN HAVE A GOOD DEBATE, AND WE'LL BOTH COME AWAY SMARTER.

Pat Roberson was on national T.V.  He's a hugely popular Christian minister.  He was saying that the bible prophesizes that the world community will be against Isreal in the last days.  He believes that these are the last days ahead.  Roberson is in direct support of Isreal, and in total disregard the Arab world.

Now.  Why do Christians believe these are the last days?  Religoin is in the mind, and in the spirit, the unseen world, and it may be that Pat Roberson's vision of the Christian world is in fact dying, and reaching it's last days.  While the Muslim world is slowly gaining more support and acceptance, and in our "minds" and "spirits" we may begin to inherit the earth.

Let the debate begin.

Trauma-san

Re: Why Christians think the end is near......
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2002, 10:33:01 PM »
Nah, not true.  By saying that, you're denying all the prophesies in the New Testament of the bible.  Of course, you don't believe any of those, but the reason Christians believe the end of the world is near, is because the new testament tells them it is.  Slowly, slowly, slowly, every prophesy is nearing fullfilization.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

infinite59

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2002, 10:35:12 PM »
Nah, not true.  By saying that, you're denying all the prophesies in the New Testament of the bible.  Of course, you don't believe any of those, but the reason Christians believe the end of the world is near, is because the new testament tells them it is.  Slowly, slowly, slowly, every prophesy is nearing fullfilization.  

Exactly, maybe the "Christian World" is really dying, that's what I'm saying, in a way, I'm agreeing with Pat Roberson and the new testament, but in a mental and spiritual way, rather than a physical.

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2002, 10:38:25 PM »
I don't really see the christian faith as dying anyyyyyytime soon.  The catholic church is still WAY, WAY strong.  I cannot deny that Islam is growing faster than any other religion in the world, but want to hear something interesting?  Proportionally, guess which church has the fastest growing membership in the world?  Latter day saints... there's only 11 million of us, but we've only been around 180 years, LOL.  Membership is growing at a rate of about 2% a year, faster than any other religion, even Islam.  

Peace~

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2002, 10:41:11 PM »
Oh, and you forgot the end of that prophesy, LOL.

Jesus returns to earth, and Is seen standing on a hill, speaking to someone, everyone there immediately realizes he is the son of god, etc, repents, all hell breaks loose, christians rule the earth, etc. etc.

infinite59

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2002, 10:45:49 PM »
Oh, and you forgot the end of that prophesy, LOL.

Jesus returns to earth, and Is seen standing on a hill, speaking to someone, everyone there immediately realizes he is the son of god, etc, repents, all hell breaks loose, christians rule the earth, etc. etc.

Yes.  They would "rule" the earth in the "last days" because they believe in their "minds" and "spirit" that they are right.  I'm looking at this from a metaphyical perspective.

Also, that was interesting what you said about the growth of the Mormon church.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2002, 11:06:25 PM »
I don't catch ya on the physical thing you're talking about... This is what we believe, maybe it's all illusion, but...

We will live, here, on earth, with perfect, immortal bodies, that never get sick, or die, with no hate, evil, or sin, and 1 Lord, Jesus, living in his temple.  Forever.  Maybe that's all illusion, and we'll just 'think' we're ruling, but that's fine with me....

ToNe1904

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2002, 01:26:27 AM »
havent Christians been saying for a LONG time that tha end is near?

i got a question. Do u believe that when sumthing as strong as religion makes a prophecy that the "end is coming", followers will take action to fulfill that prophecy? Not necessarily on purpose. But, i think that when u truly believe sumthing is GOING to happen...u subconsciously take steps to making it happen. And that has nothing to do with religion, just human nature. So do u think when people believe sumthing like this so strongly...they are really basically writing their own end?? jus wonder inwhat u guyz think.

Nostromoo

• Lil Geezy
  • Ermintrude is my mum
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2002, 02:33:59 AM »
i got a question. Do u believe that when sumthing as strong as religion makes a prophecy that the "end is coming", followers will take action to fulfill that prophecy? Not necessarily on purpose. But, i think that when u truly believe sumthing is GOING to happen...u subconsciously take steps to making it happen. And that has nothing to do with religion, just human nature. So do u think when people believe sumthing like this so strongly...they are really basically writing their own end?? jus wonder inwhat u guyz think.

Yes I agree that if one believed something would happen, subconsciously it could be made to happen i.e. a self fulfilling prophecy. But, when talking about the "end of the world" or rather the second coming, you have to understand that this is prophesised to happen in Israel, in Megiddo. As the orthodox Jewish religion doesn't accept that Jesus (in the sense of the representative of God on Earth) has come yet they certainly won't be expecting a second coming. So IMO it's unlikely that the Jewish people will indirectly cause the "end of the world". The Christians may well be nervous about the tension in the Middle East but again IMO I doubt they aren't in a position to directly influence anything of that nature. Maybe it will happen but like it says in Revelation, you won't be able to work out it's happened until it's too late anyway.

TheSheriff

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2002, 02:54:28 AM »
Quick answer to Infinite's question:

Pat Roberson is an Evangelist prick.

As for growth, the Christian church is still growing in Africa and Asia. Maybe Islam and Mormonism are growing faster, but Christianity is not becoming smaller. It is Hinduism and the various minor African religions which are losing out.

Tha_Chozen_1

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2002, 04:15:19 AM »
Cause it is.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2002, 09:40:34 AM »
Basically I think that humans in general, especially Christains, are interested in the end of the world. Billy Graham used to preach in the 50-60's that the world would end, and people from all around would go to see him preach on the world ending. Protestains have researched Revolations and are trying to make sense of it. But this can also be seen as a difference between Catholics and Protestains. As a Catholic, I have yet to hear end of the world from a priest's mouth. Heard swearing, and what not, even priest jokes about little kids, but not the end of the world. But it's what the people want. After 9/11, Nostrodamus was the most looked up person in the internet, why? Because that's what people want. And most Protestain religion are not like Catholics in the sense that they don't have the Vatican looking over what they preach. They have the freedom to give the people what they want, so if people want to hear about the end of the world, especially since 9/11, then they can give that to them.

ToNe1904

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2002, 10:54:52 AM »
well, for one thing. tha "world" isnt going anywhere. People might disappear...but tha "World", naw. Earth, Sun, Moons, Stars will all be here LONG after we're gone. It takes a pretty big ego to think that people could actually destroy tha earth lol. And for tha end of human life coming soon...well, tha term "soon" is pretty relative cus it aint gonna happen in OUR lifetime. And as it seemz, tha only single driving force that is strong enough (that ive seen) to make people completely destroy tha whole human race...is religion.

TheSheriff

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2002, 10:57:32 AM »
^^^ That above is straight subjective bullshit. If God created the earth, surely when he decides to, he can destroy it?

Anyways, we don't believe he will destroy the Earth. He will purify it, and the pure will live upon it.

ToNe1904

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2002, 11:05:15 AM »
^^^ That above is straight subjective bullshit. If God created the earth, surely when he decides to, he can destroy it?

Anyways, we don't believe he will destroy the Earth. He will purify it, and the pure will live upon it.

nice to see tha religion fanatics can keep it "respectible" as Infinite asked LOL. AND..tha key word in yur WHOLE response was tha first word of yur second sentence....."IF". I was responding to tha notion that tha world is coming to an end, which many people believe. If u DONT believe that, well then...what i was saying had NOTHING to do with u...obviously. And according to yur "purity" believe. Isnt God (in most religion) considered tha only "perfect" being? Well, then in tha end....i guess its only him/her that survives. we all die. So see u on tha otha side playa lol.