Author Topic: Book & Film Recommendations  (Read 493 times)

=[Euthanasia]=

Book & Film Recommendations
« on: April 22, 2002, 07:11:41 AM »
I'm looking for some film & book recommendations, not just your average flim/book, I want something that's thought provoking, i'm not much of a fan of reading so I want something gripping that will make me want to read it. As far as films go, I watched Ghandi for the first time the other day & it really made me think about life & how messed up the world can be, this is the type of reaction I want to feel after watching a film, something, again that is thought provoking. I've seen alot of films in my time as i'm a big film fan but i'm sure there's some great films i've yet to see. The film/books don't all have to be based on true stories or anything. I know alot of you more serious & intelligent members come up in here & i'm sure some of you have some dope recommendations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
Re: Book & Film Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2002, 10:05:53 AM »
"The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield

Its an amazing book, im hooked on it, and I jus started reading it...the homie InfinitE sent it to me and gave me the chance to read this awsome book.  Its based on Spiritulatiy and through the book, you can really appreciate life,

A brief summary of the story is....
In the rain forests of Peru, an ancient manuscript has been discovered.  Withtin its pages are 9 key insights into life instself - insights each human being is predicted to grasp sequentially, one insight, then another as we move toward a compeletly spiritual culture on earth....
Its half fiction, the story is just like a medium through which the main message is transmitted, so its pretty interesting...

A good read, i advise you to check it out...pz

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Youngster323

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 01:13:22 PM »
get 1984. Creepy look at the future

closetothalimit

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2002, 01:16:11 PM »
for thought provoking movies i recommend

Life Is Beautiful (foriegn film concerning the Holocaust)
Dogma (comedy concerning religion/faith)

cant recommend really any books other then One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest if u havent already read it.

infinite59

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2002, 01:41:17 PM »
"The Celestine Prophecy" by James Redfield

Its an amazing book, im hooked on it, and I jus started reading it...the homie InfinitE sent it to me and gave me the chance to read this awsome book.  Its based on Spiritulatiy and through the book, you can really appreciate life,

A brief summary of the story is....
In the rain forests of Peru, an ancient manuscript has been discovered.  Withtin its pages are 9 key insights into life instself - insights each human being is predicted to grasp sequentially, one insight, then another as we move toward a compeletly spiritual culture on earth....
Its half fiction, the story is just like a medium through which the main message is transmitted, so its pretty interesting...

A good read, i advise you to check it out...pz

-{bLaDe}

Word....Celestine Prophecy is a masterpiece, you'll start to feel like your the main character in the story, they never mention his name, you start to see yourself as him, this is the kind of book that can change your life and have you thinkin at a higher level of conscience.....

Other books I recommend-

Snoop- "The Doggfather".... Well written, from childhood, to gang life, to prison, to rap superstar.

Eldridge Cleaver- "Soul On Ice"..... A rapist goes to prison, self-educates himself, and changes the world.  This is the most important book I've ever read.  Cleaver has the ability to explain concepts you thought were too deep to understand.  You may need a dictionary for almost every other sentence while reading this book.

Nathan McCall- "Makes Me Want To Holler"- Autobiography of a racist criminal turned Washington Post journalist.  He deals with race issues, drugs, violence, spirituality, a gripping story by one of today's most compelling writers.

Na'im Akbar- "The Psychology of Human Transformation"- This book teaches you that to maximize your full potential you must first know what your full potential really is.  This book will show you.

Movies- Malcolm X.  I recommend the movie instead of the book.  The book didn't really tell me much that wasn't in the movie, accept a more detailed account of his life story.

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2002, 03:57:12 PM »
tha prince by machiavelli

DreSnoop00

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2002, 04:56:47 PM »
altho i'm not really a fan of this book. watch the movie and read the book "to kill a mockingbird" its got a strong theme and everything to it

tnp

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2002, 05:16:00 PM »
Pimp by Iceberg Slim...written well, entertaining, can be sickening at times but also a great insight into humans and especially their weaknesses

Like the homie above said, 1984 by George Orwell, not based on a true story but a lot more real than anyone would want to admit (especially now)

Michael Jordan and the New Global Capitalism by Walter LaFeber...good insight into the rise of capitalism, basketball, especially Michael Jordan's ascent into the game, and him becoming a global spokesman in the age of world reaching and country defying companies

This might not fit into your frame of what you are looking for, but Monster by Monster Kody (now Sanyika Shakur) is a really good read. Was the hardest muthafucka out there, but he transformed after many stints in prison

I might get some shit for this, but Animal Liberation, by Peter Singer, is a book that changed my life.

peace,
tnp

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2002, 03:59:43 AM »
Thanks for your recommendations guys, keep 'em coming if you can think of anymore. Some of the recommendations i've thought of looking into before (especially with the books) but some of them are hard to find in your average book shop around here so I might have to do some shopping on the net.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Nostromoo

• Lil Geezy
  • Ermintrude is my mum
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2002, 07:28:13 AM »
Yeah like Rain said, "Life is Beautfiul" is a great film but you have to put up with Italian (with English subtitles). Personally I thinks as a film about the holocaust it's at least 10 times better than "Schindler's List". "SL" was far too graphic but "LIB" deals with the event using comedy and pathos which I think makes it much more powerful. Kind of like Private Ryan vs. Thin Red Line I suppose.

You could also try "Ran" which is set in ancient Japan and deals with Samauri. Again it's subtitled but if you want to feel bad about the world (and messed up people) try that because by the very end you will.

Other films I think you might like given your brief are: "Once were warriors" (modern day, set in New Zealand); "La Haine" (modern day, set in France [subtitled]); or "Arlington Road" (modern day, USA).

I'm afraid I'm not big on books so I can't help there.

Don Seer

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2002, 07:33:21 AM »
Once Were Warriors is a really good film.

bookwise... i've always liked sci-fi stuff... William Gibson is the man that changed the genre by inventing the word Cyberspace. A good start would be a small story collection from him called 'Burning Chrome' a variety of stories on various themes.. not all set in the dark bladerunner-esque future he's most famously known for.