Author Topic: Question for Jews and Christians  (Read 851 times)

Trauma-san

Re: Question for Jews and ChristiansFulfillment
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2002, 07:35:03 PM »
The Protestant church really in the old B.C. type sense of religion have any true truth. But it does preach about God, and Jesus our savior, so if it helps a couple of people find God, ten so be it. The Catholic church is the main CHURCH of the world. Trauma, you state that most the U.S. is Protestant, though the largest Christian chuch in the world is Catholics. Now some say Muslum is the largest religion in the world, but that is false because there are 2. something million Christian, if you include Catholic, though most seperate the denomation because they always fight. But Protestant does serve it's purpose as reaching people in the modern era that Catholism can't get. The church serves the modern day sense of religion, and that is the fulfilment of the man. Not necessarily the truth, but the fulfilment of a mans spirit.

There are several, several, even dozens of different protestant denominations.  Baptist, Episcopolitan, Presbyterian, on and on and on.  ALL TOGETHER, the comprise the largest church denomination in the u.s.  If you only hold 1 denomination, the catholic church is by far the largest.  Hope that clears it up :)

Also, Islam is not the biggest religion in the world.  Christianity is, if you include all the different denominations, Baptist, Catholicism, Latter Day Saints, etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Question for Jews and Christians
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2002, 07:47:21 PM »
And I meant billion... sorry. But Christains are the largest over all, but most number seperate Protestants and Catholics, which case makes Muslims larger than either. Also in the U.S., we have a Protestant majority, but in the world, Catholics are greater than Protestants. This would explain the U.S. world views, as we come from Puritan background, so we feel we must save the world, and convert everyone. Though we are trying to have more of an understanding, and open mind to the rest of the world. The fact that we are even getting news that is remotely again Israel shows great change. But change is far from coming. Little at a time.

Trauma-san

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2002, 07:57:09 PM »
Whew, great discussion, I'll address everybody, LOL.

Jay Ay Beee - No problem, you didn't say anything to offend me, lol.

Big FC - Mormons agree with everything you said, actually.  That's totally true.  I just got a little carried away with explaining ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl of it.

Jake - hope this doesn't start a fight, but a couple things you said I have comments for.  1st, when the bible said not to add, or take away, it was a freakin' copyright notice.  Back then, they didn't have those, so the authors of works would write that in there, to say that it is theirs, they wrote it, and not to add or take away from it.  Simple as that, they're talking about the book, not the collection of books.  BTW, the King James version of the bible you read?  It's had dozens of books removed from it.  

Also, the point Jay is making about the protestant faiths is this...  How can they condemn the catholic church, when they sprang OUT of the catholic church? All protestant churches are good, of course, but all they are are further twists on the catholic church.  They drop the things they don't like, and add things they do.

The catholic church rose out of Christ's ministry on earth.  So, they can always say "we knew christ" you know?  I mean, they were here first, lol, their religion came straight FROM christ!  The only problem is, it was corrupted, many, many times over the century.

The mormon church maintains that Joseph Smith, the founding prophet, was visited by various old testament and new testament biblical figures, including God and Jesus Christ, who told him certain truths to re-form Jesus's church on earth, under Jesus's direct supervision.  So, they are different, because they (we) claim that we were told what was right/wrong/missing from other religions by God and his son himself.  Peter/John/James gave a few founding fathers of the church their priesthood blessings, baptised them, all this.  Joseph Smith and others even claimed Moses and Peter visited them, and talked with them, lol.  I mean, either we're huge frauds, or true.  You can't say we just twisted what the catholics believed, or anything like that. This guy really went out on a limb, LOL.

So the point is catholics can always say "We know what Jesus wants, because we were there" and Mormons can always say "God told us to do it" lol it's up to everybody to figure out which one they believe.

As for confessing sins to a Priest... That's like a 'counseling' type thing.  The chutch (i love that word, lol) feels that priests can help an individual understand what their sin warrants in repentance... our chutch believes this too.  For instance, if you go to your Bishop, and tell him that you once aborted a baby... I mean, that's a pretty serious transgression.  The priest/Bishop is going to have to make a decision, talking to you, of whether you want and feel a need to repent, etc.  It all boils down to helping out fellow man, the priest/bishop knows better than others, because they are called to that position to be divinely inspired to tell you what the lord wants you to know, in plain man to man talk.  (at least that's what our chutch believes).  The bishop doesn't judge you or anything, or shouldn't.  Everything I've heard of our bishop about stuff like this is he's a real cool guy, and I know i've felt better every time I talked to him.  It's good to get an authorities feelings about something.  

Peace, all~

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2002, 08:13:10 PM »
damn it now i'm confused ,lol

i guess my church is just anti-catholic or something...oh well at least i'm learning shit lol

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2002, 08:21:41 PM »
damn it now i'm confused ,lol

i guess my church is just anti-catholic or something...oh well at least i'm learning shit lol

Your church ain't anti Catholic, just that they are going off tradition. Martin Luther at his time disagreed with the Catholic church in the 1500's as well he should because the church was corrupt and very shady. He felt he needed to change things, cool, though changing the Bible shouldn't have been one, but others agreed. Don't worry, what ever helps you feel more at home when worshipping the Lord is all gravy with me. I mean, you don't have to agree with what the Catholic church is saying, but don't dismiss it.

Trauma-san

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2002, 08:37:22 PM »
Here's how I see the 'christian' decision, and remember, I'm mormon.  I'm not trying to influence anybody, just pointing out the good/bad parts of the 3 choices. BTW, You should ALWAYS, ALWAYS pray about this! Just ask God what he thinks you should do.

1. Be catholic.  The good is, the church was formed by Jesus Christ's teachings (sort of), the bad is, the church has been changed several times since, and we have no idea how much was added/taken away/changed/reworded.  But at least some of it *HAS* to be true.

2. Be Protestant.  Several different denominations to pick from... if you feel the catholic church has things twisted, these denominations are all like Catholic Lite.  If you feel you know what is wrong with the catholic church, you can join a like-minded protestant church, or start your own, lol, it's easy enough.  Good points - generally loving, good minded people - bad points - base their doctrine on the catholic church, and what men 'felt' was wrong or right with said church.

3. Be Mormon.  Good points - they (we) claim we are led by a modern-day prophet, just like God revealed himself to all the prophets in the old/new testaments.  He didn't stop then, he still reveals himself.  The prophet speaks for god, so what he says goes, their is no doubt in what to do in a situation (if you're a member, or course, lol). Great Moral and family values.  Bad points - lots of quirky, weird-seeming beliefs, and requires you to acknowledge that what went on in the bible, is still going on today (Miracles, Prophets, visions, resurrected men visiting prophets, etc.).  It's hard to pick on that, though, because saying that doesn't happen now is begging the question 'why not? it did back then'.

TheSheriff

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2002, 09:57:36 PM »
Nah, Jake, like the M Masta said, your church ain't anti-Catholic, it's a Protestant church. They're diametrically opposed.

I always see Mormonism either as to one side or between the two, but with twisted visions...I mean, it's so different and so similar...Num sayin?

Trauma-san

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2002, 11:44:34 PM »
Yea, a lot of it is similar, Joseph Smith said the only two things that are different are Mode of baptism, and the gift of the holy ghost, everything else is a part of one of those two.  Of course, it gets real deep in those, though, lol.  

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2002, 04:55:20 AM »
At the end of the day they're all Christian churches anyway so they preach the same message basically

The point I was trying to make is that when it comes to Protestant teachings vs Catholic teachings the Catholic viewpoint is from Jesus and the Protestant viewpoint was created to suit King Henry VIII.  It's like George Bush Jr creating a new denomination of christianity and forcing everyone to convert because it's teachings helped the Bush family.

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2002, 11:21:01 PM »
I think I understand your question Infinite, and I didn't have time to read the book of Truama answers, so here goes...

Jesus followed the jewish faith at the time, and probably hoped that his teachings would be accepted by the faith, but was rejected. So jews at the time that wished to believe in jesus teachings formed their own religion to follow in christ, and became christians.

Of course I might have missed the meaning of your question all together.