Author Topic: American kids finally smartening up  (Read 196 times)

Trauma-san

American kids finally smartening up
« on: February 25, 2004, 12:23:13 PM »
Maybe now people will think it's cool & trendy NOT to do drugs, and we'll save the world the pains of a nation of potheads and burnouts.

Survey: Ecstasy Use by Teens on Decline

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

NEW YORK  — Teenagers' use of Ecstasy (search) dropped 25 percent over the past two years, a decrease that translates into an additional 770,000 teens rejecting the once-trendy drug, a study found.

The study, released Wednesday by the Partnership for a Drug-Free America (search), also found that teen drug use overall had declined, especially involving marijuana, LSD and methamphetamine, researchers said.

According to the partnership's 16th annual survey, 9 percent of teens used Ecstasy in 2003, a significant decline from the 12 percent in 2001, when use of the drug hit its peak.

However, the decline does not mean the drug is no longer a problem, warned Steve Pasierb, president and CEO of the partnership.

"Last year, 2 million teenagers in America had tried this drug," Pasierb said. "We can — and we must — kick Ecstasy while it's down, and kick it down further."

The study was conducted among 7,270 adolescents nationwide, with a margin of error of plus or minus 1.5 percentage points. Data was collected from questionnaires that students filled out anonymously from April through June of 2003.

It found 46 percent of teens reported trying any illegal drug in 2003, down from 51 percent in 1998. Methamphetamine use fell 33 percent over that period and LSD use among teenagers was down 42 percent, the survey found. Marijuana use fell from 42 percent to 39 percent, the report said.

Tobacco use and underage drinking also were down, although half of all teens reported drinking alcohol in the last year. One in every five teens reported using a prescription drug without a doctor's order.

The report mirrored a University of Michigan (search) study, released in December, which found that drug use among junior and senior high school students was on a two-year decline.

The Partnership for a Drug-Free America, launched in 1987, is a coalition of communications professionals aimed at reducing demand for illegal drugs.

Doggystylin

Re:American kids finally smartening up
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 12:31:39 PM »
good to hear....but alcohol,tobacco and marijuana are drugs that they will never be able to get rid of, the use of these drugs goes way far back and will keep on going. but the rest of those drugs.....shit get rid of em.

pappy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 12:54:09 PM »
ive never once been part of one of these surveys

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 01:05:50 PM »
good to hear....but alcohol,tobacco and marijuana are drugs that they will never be able to get rid of, the use of these drugs goes way far back and will keep on going. but the rest of those drugs.....shit get rid of em.

Well of course you'll never get rid of all of anything, but the percentage oughta be down around like 7 or 8 percent, not 48.  That's crazy.

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 01:07:05 PM »
ive never once been part of one of these surveys

I know, right? LOL It's like all these political polls that jump around like 5 fucking points in a day.  They're obviously fucked up because they're interviewing differnent types of people.  

i'm on the national 'do not call' list so telemarketers never call anymore.  the other day, the phone rings, my mom hangs up on them, and it was a survey thing.  I get a call for a survey about 2 or 3 times a year, I was pissed she hung up on them, lol it's kind of cool.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »
Good news.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 03:26:56 PM »
i dont know how anyone can place Exstasy and marijuana in the same category... and good to see it drop, E is fuckin bad,

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 03:39:26 PM »
How accurate do you think these surveys are? Most of it is BS...If some fuckin' homo called me to survey me, and asked me if I tried E, I'd say no...Never trust these surveys...PeACe

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 10:04:09 PM »
If u say "survey says" or "statistics show" most people will blindly follow you.

-KIDRENEGADE-

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 05:04:45 AM »
and now would be the perfect time to legalize marijuana  in US so the percentage of potheads increases again. stupid holland
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)