Author Topic: Is Real R&B Still Around?  (Read 355 times)

Don Breezio

Is Real R&B Still Around?
« on: February 26, 2004, 12:30:16 AM »
i hear people all the time saying things like "real R&B isnt around anymore...now its all beyonce and b2k and r. kelly"....

well....since when is that not real R&B? just because it gets more radio play? i'll be the first to admit i hate beyonce and everything about her, her voice, her looks (i personally think shes not that great looking), and her replay value (none). but that doesnt mean its not real R&B...just because i dont like it....im sure there were tons of people who didnt like keith sweat or jodeci...but nobody will ever say they werent real R&B.

and b2k...why are they not real R&B? just because theyre all teens? seriously listen to their lyrics...they are exactly the same as every other R&B act ever out whether it be r. kelly, musiq soulchild, or marvin gaye...the lyrics really arent any different. people hate on them because they are young. i personally like b2k...yeah the amount of radio play they get is annoying but they get annoyign a lot less fast than most of the shit on the radio.

some people say there is NO real R&B anymore...so since when do R. Kelly, Jagged Edge, Maxwell, Marques Houston, Frankie J, TQ, Case, Lauryn Hill, Alicia Keys, Usher, Jaheim, One Twelve, Ray J, Brandy, Monica, Montell Jordan, The Isley Brothers, and countless others not count as real R&B?

i know a lot of people on this forum either wont read this because they dont care or they just dont like R&B...but imo R&B is the best kind of music out there so hopefully any other R&B heads will feel me on this. but seriously can you name one thing about any of the so called "Fake R&B Artists" out there that actually makes them fake?

Throwback

Re:Is Real R&B Still Around?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 01:53:51 AM »
i hate it that B2K act real 'ghetto' but they've never seen a ghetto i think..

but B2K isn't R&B for me, it's pop. so is beyonce.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 04:54:13 AM »
Well I would split most of the artists you mentioned into soul and rnb.

I would consider R Kelly, Lauryn Hill, Alicia Keys, Jaheim, The Isley Brothers as soul artists. This is sort of stuff I like to listen to.

I personally think that the rest of them that you mentioned don't have enough soulfulness to be considered soul artists, and they are what I consider to be RnB. They will have the odd dope track, but I wouldn't ever buy one of their albums (ok, so I got TQ and Montell's first albums, but thats the g funk influence).

So to answer your question RnB is still around in large quantities, but Soul isn't as much as I think it should be.

West C. Connected

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 05:41:36 AM »
Mary J. still around. 8)

Don Dolla

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 07:39:56 AM »
mayne, i can sum rnb up in 1 word. "Aaliyah" if she was still alive RnB would still be as hot...

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 08:22:50 AM »
dunno what's the general definition of RnB but if B2K are RnB then it's obviously them being black what makes them RnB cuz they basically do the same kinda music that white boy-groups do.. maybe they feature rappers a bit more often but other than that it's the same

whether it's real or not, I can't stand none of the cats that be in the charts and are considered RnB nowdays
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 08:24:06 AM by The Hoe Hopper »

Don Breezio

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 10:42:34 AM »
ok so let me prove you guys wrong then:

Jagged Edge - I Got It (feat. Trina) vs. B2K - Uh Huh

....hmm...both party beats, bout the same lyrics, only difference is jagged edges featured trina...so how is b2k pop?

lets try another:

Joe - Treat Her Like A Lady vs. B2K - Girlfriend

again...same lyrics, beats not much different...so how does b2k fit into pop?

oh yeah i know how they fit into pop....because they have more radio play...wow...

i imagine i could probably prove wrong just about any song you threw out there.

i dont agree that R&B & Soul should be split up...just like i dont think rap & hip hop should be split up...its all the same thing just with different styles.

and throwback...i am going to say this as nicely as possible:

i hate it that B2K act real 'ghetto' but they've never seen a ghetto i think..

just by the fact that you said i think proves you dont have any reason to say that. unless you've actually grown up w/ b2k then we dont know. chances are your probably right...i doubt they've ever been to a ghetto either...but then again i dont know...nor care. and i really dont care how they act...that has nothing to do with how they sound. but just to humor you. there was a guy on this board who went to school with lil fizz i believe...if he reads this then hopefully he'll give us the info on how they grew up.

Don Breezio

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 10:45:02 AM »
dunno what's the general definition of RnB but if B2K are RnB then it's obviously them being black what makes them RnB cuz they basically do the same kinda music that white boy-groups do.. maybe they feature rappers a bit more often but other than that it's the same

so in that same thought then white boys cant be R&B singers? because last time i listened to the solo justin timberlake album i thought wow...this guy is a damn good R&B singer. (if you've heard his album you'll know why i say that) the guy has more talent than most of the R&B singers out there...sure nsync sucks but him solo is dope.

or eamon...the guy is whiter than i am and he's got a hit on the charts right now.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 12:05:19 PM »
i dont like R&B, unless i wana fall asleep

SGV

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 01:08:38 PM »
Artists like Floetry, Alicia Keys, Goapele, Anthony Hamilton, Erykah Badu, Bilal, Musiq, etc. They bring back the essence of Soul music. When I hear people like Ray J, Jagged Edge, B2K, Marques Houston, R.Kelly(now at least) etc. they don't really keep that "Soul essence." It's more Hip Hop influenced, which to me, is rather lame. Catchy, but lame.

As fro B2K being similar to White Pop acts. Lyric wise, of course. They sing about love etc. But, it's their style(harmonies etc.) and beats. I mean, you can tell the difference between a B2K beat and say N*Sync.

An artist like Frankie J. He was Justin Timberlake before Justin Timberlake. He used to make Latin Pop, but now is considered R & B.

Don Breezio

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 01:14:16 PM »
frankie j isnt pop to me...to me he's just keeping the older R&B styles alive...he reminds me of the older stuff like keith sweat, gerald levert etc...and then in some instances he reminds me of a latin craig david. all i know though is i can kick back and listen to his cd all the way through and not skip 1 track.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 01:21:13 PM »
Artists like Floetry, Alicia Keys, Goapele, Anthony Hamilton, Erykah Badu, Bilal, Musiq, etc. They bring back the essence of Soul music. When I hear people like Ray J, Jagged Edge, B2K, Marques Houston, R.Kelly(now at least) etc. they don't really keep that "Soul essence." It's more Hip Hop influenced, which to me, is rather lame. Catchy, but lame.

Exactly, there is an obvious difference between Soul and RnB.

JTSimon

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 01:23:02 PM »
Who cares.

West C. Connected

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 01:24:21 PM »
I duz. I like the soulish R&B more most of the time.

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 01:27:35 PM »
I'm not sayin only balcks do RnB, infact im sayin the opposite cuz to me it seems like many of them do the same music, yet white groups/singers are nearly always considered pop and black singin groups/singers are always considered RnB.. which is bullshit to me.. maybe the beats are often a lil different but a lot of all that shit sounds the same to me and I know for sure that I'm not the only one..

anyway that shit ain't even important to me cuz I don't listen to RnB.. singin I like is basically soul and a few artists like MJ