Author Topic: something i've noticed about ya'll americans  (Read 670 times)

Don Seer

something i've noticed about ya'll americans
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:36:05 AM »

dont take this the wrong way.. but some of ya'll really can't spell for shit, ya got good grammar, then... :(

i'm no spelling bee champion (we dont have those here  :D) but i see some really really fundamental mistakes daily in this place... often appears to the the same words.

its a broad thing.. just wondered if any of you guys have noticed this..

first noticed it obvously with infinite who claimed to be an english major or training to be a teacher or something.. but many more of you do too.

i cant be the only one to have noticed this.. i think trauma can spell tho.. lol

Woodrow

Re:something i've noticed about ya'll americans
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 12:41:20 AM »
I know I rely on a spell checker WAY too much. I know if I spell something wrong, it'll change it for me.  :-\

I do 95% of my writing on a computer. I'd say I do 85% of that in Word...

What are some examples of the fundamental mistakes you see? Point em out and perhpas we can improve  ;)

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 12:42:31 AM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 12:42:47 AM by Krayzie-Eyez Killah »

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 02:51:59 AM »
lol

like that guy who put "presents" instead of "presence"  in g-spot..

its mainly things like that

m dogg put "'responds" instead of "responce" and "innocents" instead of "innocence" in a thread a few days ago..

most often things are written down as they are said, rather than as they are spelled.

something to do with hooked on phonics? (we dont have that either..)

smerlus

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 06:04:28 AM »
wee'r just triing 2 spel thingz foneticly  ;D

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 08:36:41 AM »
wel,det x-plaains it ol.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Suga Foot

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 10:29:32 AM »
I hate it when people get 'then', and 'than' mixed up.  

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 10:37:25 AM »
thing is.. find this stuff rubbing off on me, so i think its a bad influence. lol

also.. many people mix "there" and "their" up.

a similar thing is that germans often call "threads" "threats" until they're corrected..

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 11:09:27 AM »
another thing about americans they can't understand simple rhyming slang, i can understand stuff certain things where you have to know the story behind the word (eg april means arse, learnt that friday nite). but if i were to say i going for a johnny cash or whats the bird line they wouldn't understand, but then again who gives an aylesbury duck!

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 11:28:29 AM »
lol yeah i never knew that april one till the other night either :)

JTSimon

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 12:14:05 PM »

Suga Foot

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 12:44:51 PM »
another thing about americans they can't understand simple rhyming slang, i can understand stuff certain things where you have to know the story behind the word (eg april means arse, learnt that friday nite). but if i were to say i going for a johnny cash or whats the bird line they wouldn't understand, but then again who gives an aylesbury duck!

???

What the hell are you saying? lol

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 01:02:45 PM »

???

What the hell are you saying? lol
johnny cash = slash (piss i dunno if u american use that as its probably english slang ne way) bird line = time (ppl also use bird as in doing time in prison) and aylesbury duck = fuck (aylesbury is famous for its duck, hence the phrase)

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 01:33:20 PM »
I've noticed alot of spelling mistakes from peeps here over the years. I'm sure I've had my share of them too. My mother was an english teacher, so I really don't have much of an excuse if I do.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 02:11:01 PM »
I always thought most of that is slang.

I cant imagine someone who graduates can think there is the same as their or something.
It's just that americans (especially guys who are affiliated with rap) write stuff often different in order to write cool and shit. for instance duznt instead of doesn't and so on, the freaky thing about english is that you can spell words entirely differently and you still know what's up when you read it. night - nite etc...
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin