Author Topic: Aristide Tells AP the U.S. Forced Him Out  (Read 123 times)

JTSimon

Aristide Tells AP the U.S. Forced Him Out
« on: March 01, 2004, 07:19:04 PM »
Code: [Select]
Aristide Tells AP the U.S. Forced Him Out

By ELIOTT C. McLAUGHLIN
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA, Ga. (AP) -- Jean-Bertrand Aristide said in a telephone interview Monday that he was "forced to leave" Haiti by U.S. military forces who said they would "start shooting and killing" if he refused.

Aristide was put in contact with The Associated Press by the Rev. Jesse Jackson following a news conference, where the civil rights leader called on Congress to investigate Aristide's ouster.

When asked if he left Haiti on his own, Aristide quickly answered: "No. I was forced to leave.

"They were telling me that if I don't leave they would start shooting, and be killing in a matter of time," Aristide said during the brief interview via speaker phone. He spoke with a thick Haitian accent, his voice obscured at times by a bad connection.

When asked who the agents were, he responded: "White American, white military.

"They came at night. ... There were too many. I couldn't count them," he added.

Aristide told reporters that he signed documents relinquishing power out of fear that violence would erupt in Haiti if he didn't comply with the demands of "American security agents."

Aristide said he was in his palace in Port-au-Prince when the military force arrived. He said he thought he was being taken to the Caribbean island of Antigua, but instead he has been exiled to the Central African Republic.

Aristide described the agents as "good, warm, nice," but added that he had no rights during his 20-hour flight to Africa.

Aristide's wife, Mildred, initiated Monday's telephone call, said Shelley Davis, a special assistant to Jackson. She said the reverend and the president's family have been close for about a decade.

Jackson said Congress should investigate whether the United States, specifically the CIA, had a role in the rebellion that led to Aristide's exile.

Jackson encouraged reporters to question where the rebels in Haiti got their guns and uniforms.

"Why would we immediately support an armed overthrow and not support a constitutionally elected government?" Jackson said.

Aristide, who fled Haiti under pressure from the rebels, his political opponents, the United States and France, arrived Monday in the Central African Republic, according to the country's state radio. He has claimed that he was abducted from Haiti by U.S. troops who accompanied him to Africa.

The White House, Pentagon and State Department have denied allegations that Aristide was kidnapped by U.S. forces eager for him to resign.

lol @ U.S. saving its ass  ;D

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HAITI_ARISTIDE_INTERVIEW?SITE=CADIU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 07:19:50 PM by SUV(Check my Sig I'm Gay) »

Trauma-san

Re:Aristide Tells AP the U.S. Forced Him Out
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 08:34:35 PM »

And Therrrrrrres all you need to read about that, folks.  Who put him out of power?  "White American, White military".  Had nothing to do with black people, apparently.  Why is that?  ...  doesn't something sound a little fishy to you?  Of course not; just another opportunity to bash George Bush, and we're always down for that.   Try and see through the clouds....

JTSimon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 05:33:19 AM »

And Therrrrrrres all you need to read about that, folks.  Who put him out of power?  "White American, White military".  Had nothing to do with black people, apparently.  Why is that?  ...  doesn't something sound a little fishy to you?  Of course not; just another opportunity to bash George Bush, and we're always down for that.   Try and see through the clouds....

You fool he was just pointing out it wasn't French/Canadian military that kidnapped him. Trauma you admitted yourself you know nothing about the Haiti situation...so just stop posting  ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 05:39:55 AM by SUV(Check my Sig I'm Gay) »

smerlus

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 08:20:13 AM »
ATLANTA, Ga. (AP) -- Jean-Bertrand Aristide said in a telephone interview Monday that he was "forced to leave" Haiti by U.S. military forces who said they would "start shooting and killing" if he refused.

i like how this could have two meaning......sure it could be the US saying if you don't get the fuck out....we''ll shoot up the place.....that's what alot of you would hope it means....

or since there is a language barrier and a hectic situation that probably didn't have much explaining going on, could mean "get out and if you don't the haitian coup is going to fuck you and your city up......

to me....i don't care which one it is but you can choose what you want......american could buy haiti and shower them all with gifts and people would still complain about the past or say that we're forcing our beliefs on them so we can take over thier country for thier booming voodoo doll exports.....

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 05:02:23 PM »
^ Exactly.