Author Topic: Show Reviews(KRS & Immortal Technique)  (Read 48 times)

SGV

Show Reviews(KRS & Immortal Technique)
« on: March 03, 2004, 01:21:42 PM »
Aight! I know I'm a little late on this but, better late than never. Last week, February 26th KRS-One had a show here in Malibu at the Malibu Inn. Along with The Teacher, performing was Compton's 7th Sign Music, a collective of artists, and Downtown L.A.'s Metamorphs.

7th Sign was first up, they had a lot of different people spitting, not on some gangsta gangsta shit, like most Compton artists. They were dropping some real dope and clever rhymes and all had real live energy, even the big guys. They had a female emcee and a Reggaeton(Spanish Reggae for those who don't know) artist. I was really digging their set.

Here's their CD Baby site.

After their set I went to the Patio area for a while, so I don't know if someone was on during that time. When I walked back in, the Metamorphs were on. Three emcees, from what I gathered, two were brothers. They had that traditional L.A. Underground sound. Dark, gritty beats, with crazy flows and socially concious rhymes. That was the first time I'd ever heard of them, I enjoyed their set, too. As a matter of fact, if anyone wants to catch them live, they're performing tonight at the Temple Bar, in Santa Monica. Only 5 dollars.

KRS-One came out to close the show. His set was beyond amazing. They recorded most of it for a DVD, and he recorded a video during his set for a new track, for his new album, which will be available for free download here soon. He did some freestyles and went through all his hits "Black Cop," "Sound Of Da Police," "MC's Act Like They Don't Know," "Underground," "Bridge Is Over" and so much more. He had Breakers with him, as well. He gave them time to do some routines, which were amazing. Overall, the night was great. Much props go out to Juda Starr for putting together yet another great show. Peep him here. He has many more tight shows coming up.

Now, last night I went to the ImmortalTechnique show at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood. His opening acts were Re.4m, Time Machine and Acid Reign, all L.A. acts.

I got Re.4m at the very tail end of his show, so I can't speak much for him. He did bust a freestyle, as he is a Project Blowed participant, which is what they're known for. That was rather tight. After Re.4m was Time Machine. They're a duo, one black and one white(possibly Latino, couldn't tell). At the beginning their show was OK, but they finished with a routine called Spelling Bee. They would bring up words in their raps and state "You can't spell without ." And they would expand on that word. It was very tight. I've never really seen that type of routine. I gave them much props for that.

Next up, L.A. Underground staples Acid Reign. They started their set with just Beond and Gajah, later on they brought up the other member OlMeca(some of you might know him from the Band Slowrider). They did some hot freestyles and acapellas. They have that Project Blowed sound, since that is what they also rep. OlMeca busted some hot verses in Spanish, as well. Anyone familiar with the L.A. Underground will know them. Peep out their site for info on Acid Reign, Re.4m, OlMeca, Slowrider and other artists on their Nomadic Sound Systems label. They have some up coming shows, so check that out.

After 3 acts, Immortal Technique came out. He busted out some crazy off the top freestyles, acapellas and most of his material. He did songs like "The Illest," "The Point Of No Return," "Industrial Revolution," "Harlem Streets," "Dance With The Devil," and others. He had so much energy. It was crazy. He had one of his boys with him who did a song of his, very tight. IT did a few of his pattened "Political/Social rants." One that stood out "Fuck Pussy Rap!" The crowd loved that. He ended the night with a call and response shout "Viva La Revolucion!" Great way to end his amazing set.