Author Topic: An Example of the Human Condition  (Read 147 times)

Trauma-san

An Example of the Human Condition
« on: March 11, 2004, 09:20:20 PM »
This is some shit I trip out on.  Yall probably won't get it like I mean it, but I thought I'd try to postulate what I was thinking.

There's something unique to humans over, well, I guess other animals that make us behave a certain way, when it's really not even necessary.  We get all caught up in our relationships, and want things a certain way, even if we dont' know people.  The Human spirit is something that longs for greatness and to be good, powerful, loving, strong, beautiful.  It's something universal, all humans have felt this way, through time and now.  

What sparked all of this was I was thinking about Beethoven today.  Beethoven of course was a brilliant composer, created the greatest music of all time, was a perfectionist, and the greatest musical genius the world has ever seen.  Well, when he was performing in Vienna, he would write these beautiful symphonies, and then conduct them himself in concert.  He went deaf! and STILL insisted on conducting.  The public loved the man, they had deep respect for him and revered him, so, when he wrote his ninth symphony, considered by many to be his pentultimate, he insisted on conducting it himself.  You can't conduct a symphony you can't hear, it's ludacris to even think that.  

Here's what I'm talking about, though.  The people of that time were people like we are today, they had that undying human spirit in them, and they recognized Beethoven's spirit.  He wasn't just a frail, deaf old man.  They recognized that his SPIRIT, was still as strong as it ever was, and grew stronger each day.  His spirit was so strong, it refused to subjugate itself to the pains of his body, or the shortcomings of his hearing or his sanity.  THANKFULLY, the people of the time recognized this, and to accompidate the man that they loved so much, they told him "sure, you can conduct it".  Here's the part that trips me out, they loved him so much, they HID a second conductor behind him, that conducted the symphony out of sight of Beethoven, and allowed him to stand on stage, all the while thinking he was conducting his masterpiece.  

Like I said, you probably don't get what I mean by that, I'm not saying it was neat they did that, I just think that it identifies that they, in the 1700's, had the same spirit, exactly the same feelings, love, emotion, respect, the same exact spirit that we have in us today.  When you think about the past, you think about inanimate people and history lessons and dates.  In a story, though, you can see the spirit shine through, it proves these people were flesh and blood, just exactly like us.  How long until our spirits are living on forever through history books?  

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
Re:An Example of the Human Condition
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 04:38:39 AM »
Beethoven was conducting even after he became deaf. You don't lose your memory when you become deaf. If you're conducting and you know the piece, you don't really need 2 hear it if you have it memorized.  

And yes, people's relationships in the past have been more complicated and on different levels, unlike today, when it's mostly small talk and everything is only immediate-family oriented
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Trauma-san

Re:An Example of the Human Condition
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 05:21:44 AM »
That's not what I was saying.  And I don't agree with what you said in the last sentence.