Author Topic: craziness..girl from my old high school jumps to death in Midtown, NY  (Read 309 times)

We Fly High

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/20068.htm

LOVER'S LEAP

By MICHAEL POPE and HASANI GITTENS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 7, 2004 -- A teenage girl did a backwards "swan dive off the roof" of a 24-story Midtown building yesterday hours after a fight with her boyfriend, crashing with an explosive bang to the sidewalk as he watched helplessly from the street, cops and witnesses said.
Diana Chien, 19, took the plunge from 990 Sixth Ave., between 36th and 37th streets, around 5:50 p.m., horrifying a small group of passers-by who witnessed what police sources called a suicide.

"She was dangling over the edge for about five minutes" before jumping, one witness said. "It was the loudest boom ever.

"It sounded like two cars hitting each other at 30 mph.

"She bounced once."

Chien, who lived nearby on Sixth Avenue, had gotten into an argument with her boyfriend earlier in the day, cops said. He tried to run to her aid when she hit the ground and had to be restrained by police officers.

Chien was rushed to Bellevue Hospital and died a few hours later, cops said.

Her dramatic plunge to the pavement was caught by Post photographer Scott Schwartz.

Schwartz said she had her back to the street when she leaped and stayed completely still all the way down.

"I saw one shoe go flying into the air after the impact," Schwartz said. "I do recall her being barefoot."

Schwartz said he assumed cops would talk the jumper off the ledge before she decided to take the leap.

"I'm a big fan of movies, and in the movies someone always gets that jumper to get back in," Schwartz said. "Part of you thinks it's not going to happen and then the unreal happens - she fell."

Building resident Miki Feinberg said others have jumped from that address, including a woman who lived across the hall from her.

Geoff Gentile, who lives in a nearby Sixth Avenue building, said he was watching through a telescope and called cops to the scene.

"I saw her jump, but once she did, I looked away," he said. "After that I went to my priest to pray for her."

New Jersey resident Juilet Hoilett said she was in a nearby McDonald's with her daughter when a man ran into the restaurant screaming, "Someone jumped!"

"I told my daughter to stay here and I ran outside because I feared that she might have hit my car," Hoilett said.

"When I got out, I saw a woman and I just saw blood everywhere pouring out of her head. They checked for a pulse and then took her away."

Additional reporting by Eric Lenkowitz

dude.. that shit is fucking crazy..she went to my old high school too. year below me, played bball and shit. my firend's little sister used to be pretty good friends with her. thats insane... my uncle did the same shit last year.. shits getting too crazy..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 02:10:54 AM by justin718 »

Don Seer

Re:craziness..girl from my old high school jumps to death in Midtown, NY
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 02:19:17 AM »
damn thats loco...

always makes me sad when people jump.. we dont have too many buildings over 3 stories around here apart from a few offices and a car park in town... (live in a very green area..) it always makes me sad when I hear someone, especially someone young has jumped :(

here they've put big nets up around the car park, so u cant get over the edges now
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 02:20:14 AM by Overseer »

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 05:41:09 AM »
Disgusting.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:51:28 AM »
Disgusting.

why? I dont remember god asked us if we wanted to be here.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

smerlus

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 07:49:50 AM »
"I told my daughter to stay here and I ran outside because I feared that she might have hit my car," Hoilett said.

that bitch either needs to be a comedian or get her ass beat

i remember when i was younger i was at a mall in Rochester. it was about right before easter. the mall had about 4 floors i think. anyways i was walking on the second floor with my cousin and some friends and we were coming up to the mall's courtyard.
     as we got closer we heard someone yell "NOOOOOOOOOOO" and we saw a blur pass the floor we were on. Next you just head a loud CRACK. my cousin thought i was some kind of stunt so he was like "Holy shit, that's awesome"
     everyone that was around rushed to the railing and looked down and it was a real lady all twisted and contorted... it took about 5-10 minutes for help to arrive and once they got there they realized that the lady was still alive. they tried cpr but there was no use, she dies a few minutes later.
    her jaw was pushed all the way to the back of her throat almost and blood just pooled up where her eyes should be. the fall broke her legs and bones were sticking through her jeans. they sectioned off about 40 sq feet and spent the next 30 minutes finding teeth and placing them in baggies
    the news article said she just got divorced, and both her parents died with in months of each other. she did a swan dive and landed face first four floors down

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 02:13:55 PM »
had a bunch of deaths in my whole high school years, last year a kid hng himself after his gf broke up with him, then she killed herself a few weeks later, this year a girl died of drugs, and a guy was in a coma after taking a bunch of pills and died several weeks later, also an amzing gym teacher died of cancer.....

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 03:51:18 PM »
damn man, what a horrible way to go out, id rather blast myself. but damn what a bitch that one lady was worrying about her car.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 04:17:12 PM »
Disgusting.

Everything about it's disgusting.  The description of what happened is disgusting, the loss of life is disgusting, everything about it.

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 04:27:44 PM »
Disgusting.

Everything about it's disgusting.  The description of what happened is disgusting, the loss of life is disgusting, everything about it.

I did kinda find it weird how they described it

-KIDRENEGADE-

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 08:27:39 PM »
They could have left out all the shit about her making a loud pop.  The comment about how she bounced was just pure tasteless sensationalism.  

JTSimon

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 10:27:55 PM »

Chien, who lived nearby on Sixth Avenue, had gotten into an argument with her boyfriend earlier in the day, cops said.

::) Hopefully that wasn't the only reason.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 02:55:49 PM »
Suicide sucks..I have lost alot of Family to it..My great grandfather drank insecticide, my uncle shot himself and my cousin hung himself.

Getttin in an argument aint enough to kill yourself..She went a lil overboard IMO..

JTSimon

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 03:15:17 PM »
Suicide sucks..I have lost alot of Family to it..My great grandfather drank insecticide, my uncle shot himself and my cousin hung himself.

WTH...do you have a mob family>?

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 07:01:17 AM »
this is crazy cuz it happened a few blocks from where i live. if you know anything about new york, that's a pretty busy place to jump, and she did it a rush hour. i saw the pics in the new york post, and that shit was just crazy. there's actually a picture of her in middair, with her arms and legs spread out and the obvious insanity of it all.

the reason it's disgusting is because the 'new york post' covered the story. the nyp is known as a somewhat 'disrespectable' paper in the city along with the 'daily news.' when i first moved here a few months ago, the daily news printed a pic of a dude who got a hole in his head during the puerto rican day parade. there was blood and shit all around his head and it was purely distasteful, disrespectful, and disgusting.

We Fly High

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 11:48:34 AM »
damn... is that picture on the internet or somethin.. thats crazy... did u hear any of ur friends talkin about it..

yeah man ive known way too many suicides..
my friends uncle tried to commit suicide by just crashing his motorcycle int he middle of the freeway, but was unsuccessful.
within a 6 month period, my dad's old college roommate hung himself, his church friend hung himself, and my dads older brother jumped off his apt balcony cos of financial problems
and then my mom has a friend that jumped off the golden gate bridge..

i dont know man.. shits too crazy.