Author Topic: computer problem pt II  (Read 104 times)

smerlus

computer problem pt II
« on: March 14, 2004, 11:20:07 AM »
i figured out the cause of my problem MIGHT not totally be my RAM, but it is between the card and the agp slot. i've updated everything on my computer: the drivers for the AGP slot, IDE drivers, sound drivers reinstalled everything but when i installed C++ i noticed everytime i shut down or reboot i receive two errors, one is about my RAM and the other i believe is caused by the first error

so could one little bit of faulty RAM fuck up everything?

ACGRUNDY

Re:computer problem pt II
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 02:08:31 PM »
yes, bad ram can ruin your whole computer.  what does the error msg say?  there are sites out there that can test your ram to see if it is bad.

smerlus

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 02:12:48 PM »
it says something like "an error occered in [a bunch of letters] memory could not be read (then gives the position of that memory)

could you give me a name of one of those sites?

thanks man

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 02:18:20 PM »
Memtest86 is a free RAM-diagnostic tool that'll help breathe new life
into
your system

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,3590741,00.html

my dad gave me that email once, but I have always been to lazy to actually try it out.  give it a shot.  does your computer even boot up past any dos screen?

smerlus

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 02:26:33 PM »
yeah, the only problem i have is with that one video card and the errors when i shutdown/reboot other than those two things, my computer is fine....and thanks for the site....i'll prop you until i get my comptuer fixed  ;D

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 02:29:17 PM »
whats the prob with your video card?

smerlus

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 02:47:35 PM »
the 7500 that's in the PCI slot is fine, it's the 9600 that i have to put in the AGP slot that is messing shit up....

i got into the City of Heroes beta test and i needed at least an 8500 so i bought a 9600, installed taht and everything was fine, i downloaded City Of Heroes and tried to play that but the game froze (i thought that it had some stability issues just because it was a beta) so i restarted my computer and tried playing it again and my computer rebooted itself and then even before windows fully loaded it crashed. i updated everything i could possibly update, scan disk, defragged, ran a virus scanner and everything was cool downloaded this microsoft RAM test and that would either freeze or reboot my computer... so now i switched back to the 7500 and all i get are those ram errors when i reboot

smerlus

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 03:02:50 PM »
thanks. that test confirmed it, my RAM is fucked and i have to get some new shit....lucky i'm still under warranty. thanks again for your help

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 04:52:51 PM »
no problem