Author Topic: People 21 and over  (Read 294 times)

ACGRUNDY

People 21 and over
« on: March 12, 2004, 01:06:42 AM »
aight so I got a question for ya concerning careers and work and shit.  Well recently I graduated from college with a degree in business finance, from a pretty good school too.  Well I really wasn't into goin right into some career job, so I moved up to northern california, and I started up my own business.  Well its a moving business, where people rent their own truck and I do the labor.  I charge $40 an hour for it, so when I get jobs, I make good money.  problems is, that the work is very inconsistent, and the last 2 months have been VERY slow.  Well I'm always tryna think of things to do, and ways to make money.

while I was goin to college I never ever had a problem getting a job.  Now that I have a college degree tho, it has been the hardest time for me to find a job.  I'm trying to get a job cause I have plenty of free time, and the moving business isn't keeping me busy enuff.  Its hella weird tho now, that I have this college degree to put on my resume, which I would think would help me get a job, but its not.  I'm not getting any calls back for jobs that I apply for.  It's not even like I am getting interviews, I get nothing.  And I have a lot of job experience and great references. I think that I am overqualified for a lot of the jobs that I am applying for, and I think they would just rather hire some young dumbass that they could eazily pay minimum wage.  I dunno if its just the shitty economy right now or what, but it is really frustrating.  What do u guys do for your careers, and how do you like them?  anyone have similar problems to what I got?  anyone feeling the effects of the US economy?

Don Seer

Re:People 21 and over
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 01:25:51 AM »
damn I dunno man.. have u tried an agency or something? you could do some temporary work (offices or something?) until things pick up?

or... ask why you aren't getting the removals business..?

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 01:52:22 AM »
yeah I've tried one temp agency, and I dunno man, its just bullshit.  I call them in every week sayin, yeah I'm down for any of those jobs, but nothin happens.  right now I live in a city where the job market is hella shitty, and as soon as my lease is up I'm probably moving to sacramento, where work will definatly pick up.  Its just funny how you realize shit in life.  Like my whole childhood growin up, I didn't know nothin but to go to college when I finished high school.  and before I went to college I had this crazy view of it, which is way different from what it actually is.  and then I though, shit, once I graduate from college I'm gonna have thousands of job opportunities.  It really ain't like that tho, too much explaining to do to really explain it all, and I"m sure peeps don't wanna read that much.  One of the truest lines ever in hip hop "If only I knew then what I know now."

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 02:00:09 AM »
its real true.. if i hadnt gotten this job i dunno where i'd be right now.. a lot of people i went through college with aren't even in this industry anymore.

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 02:58:55 AM »
^^^

True

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 08:42:41 AM »
I'm 19 and I am most definatly feelin the effects of the economy..I just finally got a job after months of searching..Good thing I am in school

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 03:42:59 PM »
I'm 19 and I am most definatly feelin the effects of the economy..I just finally got a job after months of searching..Good thing I am in school

real talk....im hustlin like never before....its a must, and money is pretty much happiness for me rite about now....

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »
its tough out there especially for grads...took me a year to get a good job making really good money...my advice take any job in your field(stay in your field)...might be rough at first money wise..to gain experience...but keep looking in the areas of your field that has the best career outlook and aply aply aply...just keep sending resumes...someone will discover you...goodluck

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 07:17:24 PM »
Canada depends on the US.  So when the US economy is shitty, so is ours.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 08:13:36 PM »
I feel ya.

I'm in IT and it's tough out there. I went through an 8 month unemployment stint before my current gig, which is set to expire in July so I'll have to look for work again. I didn't picture it being like this in college. I thought with a degree, there would be tons of career opportunities, upward mobility, things like that but it hasn't really happened like that. I'm just glad to have a gig right now.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels