Author Topic: Whats wrong with Backpackers?  (Read 671 times)

SGV

Re:Whats wrong with Backpackers?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2004, 07:47:27 AM »
Paul Wall: Has been offered deals by Def Jam and other major labels. He's staying indi.
King J.C.: Has released over 15 albums. Who can say that?
Haystak: On Def Jam South
El-P: Owns one of the most successful Underground labels
Copywrite: Given the chance, he could blow up. He needs to grind more.
High & Mighty: Been on MTV/BET before. Are apart of another successful Underground label.
Cage: Has had his name shouted by Eminem.

You're just reaching man. The blacks cats you named have been in the game FOR YEARS. They were putting in much work to get where they're at. I don't see why you're trying to make this an issue. Face it, you're just bringing anything to plead your case, but it ain't working.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2004, 08:02:03 AM »
I don't know where you come from man but everyone from around here listens to hip hop and excepts it. Even the abercrombie kids...

The Demigodz are underground and are not Nerd Rap IMO..

kosta

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2004, 09:50:41 AM »
The Demigodz are underground and are not Nerd Rap IMO..

lol, i agree

some called me a backpacker at times cause i listen to shitloadsa backpack rap, alltho my favorite group isn't at all backpack (tha Alkaholiks) alltho i do not like 95% of mainstream rap NOW, i loove to listen to that early - mid 90s mainstream hip-hop, to me it's as good as some underground rap now

kosta

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2004, 09:54:57 AM »
oh and btw
the word backpacker was originally given to schoolkids (who were wearing backpacks)  who started trading (underground) rap-tapes that they carried around in their backpack

Trizz

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Cant spell the West wit out the ES
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2004, 10:56:06 AM »
LMAO @ luke

nellys country gramma gangsta ROTFLMAO

and you laugh that i like 50 cent
atleaste 50 cent is a real gangsta
and his albums and mixtapes contain real gangsta tracks
so yea he has a few love jams but you cant compare
50 to ja rule or other "poppy" artists because first off
he does those types of songs the right way
and secondly he doesnt release 10 love songs
and only 3 gangsta tracks

also some of those artists you mentiond ARE
back pack MC's and im tired of this

"fuck the mainstream!" BS

alot of songs that get radio play and on mtv
are songs that are GOOD MUSIC
fuck hi complex lyrics and always having to
"Keep it real" yararararara  the music is good
and if it wasnt the masses wouldnt buy it hip hop fans and
"Pop" fans wouldnt by it if they didnt like the music

Don Breezio

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2004, 11:37:25 AM »
LMAO @ luke

nellys country gramma gangsta ROTFLMAO

and you laugh that i like 50 cent
atleaste 50 cent is a real gangsta
and his albums and mixtapes contain real gangsta tracks
so yea he has a few love jams but you cant compare
50 to ja rule or other "poppy" artists because first off
he does those types of songs the right way
and secondly he doesnt release 10 love songs
and only 3 gangsta tracks

also some of those artists you mentiond ARE
back pack MC's and im tired of this

"fuck the mainstream!" BS

alot of songs that get radio play and on mtv
are songs that are GOOD MUSIC
fuck hi complex lyrics and always having to
"Keep it real" yararararara  the music is good
and if it wasnt the masses wouldnt buy it hip hop fans and
"Pop" fans wouldnt by it if they didnt like the music

wow you took everything i said totally out of context...read the whole convo first you ass. i never said "fuck the mainstream"...i listen to the mainstream you asshole. nelly's lyrics in that song were gangsta dumbass...fuckin read em. i also never said 50 did poppy love songs...honestly 21 questions i really enjoyed so i could care less if he does poppy songs. don't take my shit out of context bitch.

Trizz

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Cant spell the West wit out the ES
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2004, 06:16:38 PM »
HA @ this herb

You mad son ? why you mad?

GGGGGG G UNIT

Don Breezio

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2004, 10:36:56 PM »
HA @ this herb

You mad son ? why you mad?

GGGGGG G UNIT

yeah that was wierd lol...i kinda blew up

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2004, 01:27:07 AM »
Are you guys forgetting about Necro & Non-Phixion? They own the New York underground scene...Anyways, music is music...If it's dope, it's dope...Arguing over whether it's dope or not is pointless, and that's all there is to it...PeACe

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2004, 02:51:48 AM »
Luke, I'ma be strate up, The reason why Backpack Rap gets hated on is becuase of people like U......let it go, yur argument is pointless......U would not win in court......

U bump backpack shit in the hood and you'll get clowned, why? cuzz of the fans, they've made it lame......

U can call artists like Paul Wall, Atmosphere, Necro etc "underground as hell", but TRUTH is they are cashing in more money than alot of mainstream cats.....U gotta understand the game 1st before U make these bold statements.....There are many different routes to success in tha music business, tha average fan has no clue what that means.....

U talk about how in today's society it is becoming unacceptable to rap or listen to rap if you are white......WHAT? cmon mane, wat in tha name of FUC are U talkin about? U gotta be kidding me, what kinda hicksville U from? Do U ever get out there? I mean if you're really interested as U seem about topics like this, then I suggest U get the square your world is in and go out and explore what's really goin on in SOCIETY.

Basically, the media & the loyal fans shape the general public's opinions and views.....It blows my mind the amount of ignorance there is, but there's no changing that.....We gotta understand 99% of all people are not in the game seeing what's really happenin, 99% of people are not fans that go in deep and explore what's crackin like alot of cats on WCC.....so U can't really blame tha general public.....It's the media and those loyal fans that brainwash the rest into thinking 1 way without researching.....The loyal fans to backpack acts are the LAMEST out of all therefore get lil to no respect by tha rest.....But we can't judge em either.....I like alot of backpack shit, the concious portions of some of they albums, but for the most part, I could care less about em and U won't catch me bumpin something like that out tha trunk.....Put it this way, U might be feeling the new B2K single, U bump it at home, groove to it or wuteva u do, but would U bump that out loud somewhere? Ofcourse every man has to be an individual......but we live by most society standards, if U like to believe that or not, dats up to U......But don't let the media fool U.....

Make sure 2 give EVERYTHING a chance at tha least......U take a cat like Cassidy for example, he gettin a bad rap by the ignorant because of his Hotel single, I heard this cat tha other day at a party callin him a commercial clown......but truth is, Cassidy has been a street LEGEND in Philly since he was 15 years old......He got a real impressive battle record, been freestyle champion in many tournys.....He has MADD flows.....but he CHOSE that route and did what he had 2 do.....don't hate, congrajulate......I congrajulate every backback rapper's success but for the most part, I aint feelin em like that and they fans can stay away from me......

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2004, 08:27:48 PM »
I like a lot of backpacker rap. For instance, I like Atmosphere and I don't think they're any more out there on the "space rap" level then let's say, Outkast or Ghostface. I like a lot of Del's and Hiero's material and I was checking for Dilated Peoples, J5 and the Roots way before most heads had even heard of them. The thing is, the fans of backpacker rap get justifiably, a lot of flack and to be totally honest, these group of fans have gotten under my skin for over 10 years.

I used to be active in the underground scene when I was around 18 or 19 and this would be from 93-95 and these cats would hate on anyone who dared to sell more than 100,000 units. They would proclaim that so and so isn't real hip hop even if that person spoke on some real shit or paid dues. That type of thinking got on my nerves big time. A lot of these cats were suburban new jacks who were ignorant to the roots and the history of hip hop. To say that someone who comes from the streets and is from the streets is not real but then proclaim that some nice guy rapper is more real completely disregards why hip hop was started in the first place. I think this way of thinking was really summed up in Common's "I Used to Love Her" and his whiny diatribe was embraced by backpackers everywhere.

Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Don Breezio

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2004, 10:10:36 PM »
Luke, I'ma be strate up, The reason why Backpack Rap gets hated on is becuase of people like U......let it go, yur argument is pointless......U would not win in court......

court? this is a hip hop arguement...not murder...anways i have nothing to do with why so called backpack rap has a bad rep...i dont even believe in calling it backpack rap...its music just like everything else. i listen to everything not just backpack rap and you know that. today alone i bumped boo ya tribe in the morning, sisqo in the afternoon, and some old common on my way home...i am in no way a backpacker.

U bump backpack shit in the hood and you'll get clowned, why? cuzz of the fans, they've made it lame......

1)...i dont bump anything in the hood, 2) why worry about what other people in the hood think...be your own person.

U can call artists like Paul Wall, Atmosphere, Necro etc "underground as hell", but TRUTH is they are cashing in more money than alot of mainstream cats.....U gotta understand the game 1st before U make these bold statements.....There are many different routes to success in tha music business, tha average fan has no clue what that means.....

i have no doubt that they are making more money than a lot of mainstream artists...but they are still a hell of a lot more underground than someone like royce or raekwon.

U talk about how in today's society it is becoming unacceptable to rap or listen to rap if you are white......WHAT? cmon mane, wat in tha name of FUC are U talkin about? U gotta be kidding me, what kinda hicksville U from? Do U ever get out there? I mean if you're really interested as U seem about topics like this, then I suggest U get the square your world is in and go out and explore what's really goin on in SOCIETY.

its just as unnaceptable in a town like this one to listen to rap as it is for you to bump britney spears in the hood. simple as that.

Basically, the media & the loyal fans shape the general public's opinions and views.....It blows my mind the amount of ignorance there is, but there's no changing that.....We gotta understand 99% of all people are not in the game seeing what's really happenin, 99% of people are not fans that go in deep and explore what's crackin like alot of cats on WCC.....so U can't really blame tha general public.....It's the media and those loyal fans that brainwash the rest into thinking 1 way without researching.....The loyal fans to backpack acts are the LAMEST out of all therefore get lil to no respect by tha rest.....But we can't judge em either.....I like alot of backpack shit, the concious portions of some of they albums, but for the most part, I could care less about em and U won't catch me bumpin something like that out tha trunk.....Put it this way, U might be feeling the new B2K single, U bump it at home, groove to it or wuteva u do, but would U bump that out loud somewhere? Ofcourse every man has to be an individual......but we live by most society standards, if U like to believe that or not, dats up to U......But don't let the media fool U.....
actually i would bump the new B2K single if i was feelin it...just as NIK said above...if its dope its dope and im gonna bump it nomatter who it is or where i am.

Make sure 2 give EVERYTHING a chance at tha least......U take a cat like Cassidy for example, he gettin a bad rap by the ignorant because of his Hotel single, I heard this cat tha other day at a party callin him a commercial clown......but truth is, Cassidy has been a street LEGEND in Philly since he was 15 years old......He got a real impressive battle record, been freestyle champion in many tournys.....He has MADD flows.....but he CHOSE that route and did what he had 2 do.....don't hate, congrajulate......I congrajulate every backback rapper's success but for the most part, I aint feelin em like that and they fans can stay away from me......

personally i like cassidy...hotel was dope...may not of been a lyrical masterpeice but it was dope. had a good feel. i have thought about picking his album up but i wanna hear some reviews on it first (from other rap fans...i hate critics)

^_^

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2004, 10:44:59 PM »
These kind of arguements are annoying. There's nothing wrong with *backpacker* hip hop as people here like to call it.  And that's just it, there's nothing wrong with it just as thier is nothing wrong with artists who don't identify as part of that more independant group of rappers.

Every scene has it's wack shit, and it's ill shit.  

Personally, i think artists who have been described here as *backpacker* *nerd rap* or whatever other buzz term, are in general alot more creative and talented than alot of more aboveground and popular acts.

Doggystylin

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2004, 05:36:13 PM »
lmao sgv just shit on himself and his whole backpacker protest by actually putting a backpacker certified album in his sig, he has Murs in his sig, man sgv your one confused ass mothafucka

SGV

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2004, 06:16:19 PM »
lmao sgv just shit on himself and his whole backpacker protest by actually putting a backpacker certified album in his sig, he has Murs in his sig, man sgv your one confused ass mothafucka
Where was the protest idiot?

For the most part, it's not the Backpack rappers, it's the fans. Just like in any case, the fans ALWAYS give a bad rap to the artists. Backpack Rap fans are horrible.

Go back to suckin' on Krayzie Bone man, that seems to be your thing. It's obvious reading isn't.