Author Topic: music industury in recovery?  (Read 110 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
music industury in recovery?
« on: April 12, 2004, 09:05:33 AM »
US music bounces back from slump
Music sales in the US rose by more than 9% in the first three months of 2004 compared with the same period last year - signalling an end to a four-year dip.
The 9.1% upturn in sales of CDs, music DVDs and legal downloads is a ray of light for an industry that has battled online piracy and new technology.

For the first time since 2000, two albums - by Norah Jones and Usher - had weekly sales of more than one million.

"We've had a big run so far," Billboard Magazine's Geoff Mayfield said.

But he added: "Because we've had three years of erosion, at least for the first eight months of the year, it will be relatively easy for the industry to post increases."

The upturn, which began at the end of 2003, saw CD sales rise 10.6%, according to the figures from Nielsen SoundScan.

Cary Sherman, president of the Recording Industry Association of America, said the figures were "good news" - but were being compared with a very low point.
"The numbers of 2003 were down about 10 to 12% from the year before. If we didn't have that kind of increase, it would be really terrible," he said.

The music industry has been hit hard by the sales slump, with many record companies forced to restructure and shed jobs.

The industry blamed illegal online song-swapping - where music fans copy songs without permission and put them on the internet for other people to download for free.

A major legal assault, including lawsuits against almost 2,000 downloaders, has been launched to stem the practice.

Now, the music industry is beginning to harness the technology, with new legal download sites like Apple's iTunes selling almost 20 million songs in 2003.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/music/3615725.stm

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re:music industury in recovery?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 10:16:50 AM »
Good news.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 09:33:47 PM »
FUCK the music industry.  I hope they go bankrupt.  They make money off of overcharging for CD's full of BULLSHIT untalented madness.  Last week, I accidentally fell asleep on my keyboard with Sonar open, and when I woke up, and played it back, it sounded better than 95% of what's been released this year.  

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 12:03:01 AM »
good news? are u kidding me? Music shouldn't even have an Industry. Music industry sounds like an oxymoron if you ask me. Music should be a form of art. Industries aren't exactly art. Music should be for people's enjoyment
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)