Author Topic: now this is someone i can respect  (Read 174 times)

smerlus

now this is someone i can respect
« on: March 31, 2004, 11:24:13 AM »
Palestinian prime minister urges end to suicide attacks
Qorei calls bombings an 'obstacle to peace'
Wednesday, March 31, 2004 Posted: 12:48 PM EST (1748 GMT)

Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Ahmed Qorei heads a Cabinet meeting this week in the West Bank town of Ramallah.

RAMALLAH, West Bank (CNN) -- Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Ahmed Qorei denounced suicide bombings as "morally wrong" and an "obstacle to peace" Wednesday in an address to the Palestinian parliament.

He warned Palestinians not to carry out suicide attacks in response to Israel's March 22 killing of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, leader of the Palestinian Islamic fundamentalist group Hamas.

"These bombings are used by the Israeli government as an excuse to continue its aggression and collective punishment against the Palestinian people," Qorei said.

Israeli security has been increased, fearing terrorist attacks in retaliation for Yassin's death. The Hamas leader was was fired on in an Israeli airstrike as he left a mosque in his wheelchair. Israel said Yassin had overseen operations that killed hundreds of civilians.

The U.S. State Department has labeled Hamas a terrorist organization. The group's military wing, Izzedine al Qassam, has claimed responsibility for terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians as well as attacks against the Israeli military.

Qorei denounced Yassin's killing as "state terrorism," saying Israel is trying to add fuel to the fire of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

However, he called Palestinian bombing operations an "obstacle to peace."

"We have condemned these attacks, which are morally wrong, and today from this podium we reiterate our rejection of such attacks because they harm our national struggle, create tension with the world community, destroy our economy and give a cover for the Israeli government to pursue settlement plans and build the expansion and annexation wall," he said.

Israel and the United States have long called on the Palestinian Authority to force terrorists to end their attacks.

Palestinian Authority leaders have accused Israel of impeding their ability to strengthen and overhaul their security forces

Qorei also blamed infighting in the security forces divisions for impeding the reform process.

"Our results have been limited for internal reasons," he said, pointing to quarrels "between the Palestinian security apparatus and their leaders in addition to the continuing Israeli aggression against the Palestinian security forces."

Qorei cited a "desperate need" to restructure the security apparatus, saying it was a top issue for the Palestinian government.

The attack on Yassin followed weeks of Israel's military operations into Gaza to counter possible terrorist attacks. Several Palestinians, including civilians, have died in the operations.

Israel began the raids after a terrorist bus bombing killed eight people February 22 in Jerusalem. Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, a military offshoot of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement, claimed responsibility for the attack.

The U.S. State Department designated Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades as a foreign terrorist organization.

On March 14, twin suicide bombings in Israel -- jointly claimed by Hamas and Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades -- killed 10 people and derailed scheduled talks between Qorei and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon on the "road map" to Mideast peace.

The road map, backed by the United States, European Union, United Nations and Russia, calls for steps by both sides aimed at ending the conflict and establishing an independent Palestinian state by 2005.

Qorei's address also focused Wednesday on preventing construction of Israel's barrier separating it from the West Bank. "The resistance to the separation and expansion wall [is] at the top of the priority list," Qorei said.

Israel calls the long, winding barrier, which juts into sections of the West Bank, a necessity to protect its citizens from attackers.

The Palestinian Authority says the barrier amounts to a land grab because it cuts off access to large areas of Palestinian territory.

Qorei hailed the Palestinian government's success in convincing the International Court of Justice at The Hague, Netherlands, to consider whether Israel is violating international law with the barrier.

Referring to Israel's plan to withdraw from Gaza, Qorei said, "There are many questions that need answers."

He urged Israel to withdraw "from every piece of soil from Palestinian land, including Gaza."

"The Gaza withdrawal plan can be a chance for all Palestinians to cooperate and benefit from ... or it could be a trap that we should all be aware and make sure we do not fall into," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/03/31/mideast/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trauma-san

Re:now this is someone i can respect
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 12:22:10 PM »
Yup! Muslim leaders all over England are urging all Muslims in the country to do their part to protect the country from Terrorists, too, saying it is 'their responsibility'.  Not everyone has perverted the religion.  

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 12:42:04 PM »
been sayin this for a while....poor guy tho, u can tell hes gettin jacked from all sides, arafat, sharon, hamas, etc
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 02:17:04 PM »
Yeah, all those guys over there in leadership positions have got some balls.  You know the president of Pakistan has some serious nuts.  That fucker must have a deathwish.  

They tried to kill him twice in the last 6 months, and he just laughs about it and shit... the other day, he was on T.V. saying since Al Qaeda had "provoked" him, he wasn't going to stop until "all the terrorists are anhilated" or something like that, LOL.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 02:18:22 PM by I Just Wasn't Made For These Times »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 03:40:34 PM »
You think it's really gunna stop? Dude is just saying that, so people will think the Palestinian leaders are innocent. But in reality, he probably loves seeing 5 year old Israelis getting blown to bits and pieces. BULLSHIT. ::)

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »
You need to learn to give people the benefit of the doubt.  

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 03:48:58 PM »

You know how many times Palestinian leaders claimed "terrorist attacks will stop"??

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 05:17:38 PM »

You know how many times Palestinian leaders claimed "terrorist attacks will stop"??

And how many times have the Israelis withdrawn from the occupied territories?  ???
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 05:20:49 PM »
Yeah, all those guys over there in leadership positions have got some balls.  You know the president of Pakistan has some serious nuts.  That fucker must have a deathwish.  

They tried to kill him twice in the last 6 months, and he just laughs about it and shit... the other day, he was on T.V. saying since Al Qaeda had "provoked" him, he wasn't going to stop until "all the terrorists are anhilated" or something like that, LOL.  

Yeah you know I dont agree 100% with Musharaf's policies but this man, i admire his conviction, and i respect his stance. He's doing whats best for his country. But Trauma, you obviously portray some sort of respect for these leaders, but u dont say nothing about those responsible for the situation they're in. Sharon has done the most to undermine legitimate leaders within the Palestinian Authority

- Lewis Carroll

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 05:28:58 PM »

And how many times have the Israelis withdrawn from the occupied territories?  ???

It takes time to withdraw...Fact is, the bombings don't stop.

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 08:35:42 PM »

Yeah you know I dont agree 100% with Musharaf's policies but this man, i admire his conviction, and i respect his stance. He's doing whats best for his country. But Trauma, you obviously portray some sort of respect for these leaders, but u dont say nothing about those responsible for the situation they're in. Sharon has done the most to undermine legitimate leaders within the Palestinian Authority

It's an endless argument, I can't sit here with you and condemn and praise every positive or negative thing both sides do.  You yourself need to learn to give people the benefit of the doubt, with your hateful remarks about jews and how they run America, you don't trust a jew, and that makes you a bigot.