Author Topic: John Kerry is a hip-hop fan  (Read 405 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
John Kerry is a hip-hop fan
« on: March 31, 2004, 11:44:36 AM »
'I'm fascinated by Rap and Hip-Hop' says Democratic presidential candidate, John Kerry during an MTV Choose or Loose forum. Offering up a heavy dose of street credibility, Kerry defended gangsta rap, freedom of speech and the realities of street life.

Kerry spoke with MTV's Gideon Yago and took questions from the audience last night in MTV's annual Choose or Loose forum. The youth voting movement this year endeavors to get 20 million new voters to the polls and impact what is projected to be a tight presidential race.

The Boston-born heir to the Heinz Ketchup fortune, offered his perspective on rap music as the voice of the streets.

"I'm fascinated by rap and by hip-hop. I think there's a lot of poetry in it. There's a lot of anger, a lot of social energy in it. And I think you'd better listen to it pretty carefully, 'cause it's important."

When questioned about offensive rap lyrics, Kerry said there is a line to be drawn, but defended freedom of speech.

"I think that there is a line you draw between government intervention and the right of speech and the right for people to express themselves, but do I think there are standards of decency in that? Yes, I do. Do I think that sometimes some lyrics in some songs have stepped over what I consider to be a reasonable line? Yeah, I do. I think when you start talking about killing cops or something like that, it bothers me."

Calling rap a "reflection of life", Kerry empathized with the struggles reflected in the music.

"I'm still listening because I know that it's a reflection of the street and it's a reflection of life, and I understand all that. I'm not for the government censoring or stepping in. But I don't think it's inappropriate occasionally to talk about what you think is a standard or what you think is a value that is worth trying to live up to."

http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=5697

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:John Kerry is a hip-hop fan
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 11:52:12 AM »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 12:20:39 PM »
LOL, no he's not.  He's just telling MTV what they want to hear.  He told Urban Radio last month he was black.  No shit.  He will tell anybody anything they want to hear, look at his voting record and statements he's made in the past, and you'll see *Exactly* what I mean.  Remember, he's a rich white kid from Massachusets.  

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 12:30:21 PM »
He told Urban Radio last month he was black.  No shit.

LMAO...

btw, Kerry was wealthy, no argue on that. But he just got really rich when he married Ms. Heinz

Buy Heinz Ketchup, support your fellow democrat who's running for President!

hehe... his wife has like 600 Mio. $
sicc shit.
No, it's not a sin

smerlus

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 12:36:18 PM »
fucking poser.....my gf's 16 year old sister does shit like that and it makes me sick....this 40+ year old man does this and wants my vote?!?!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 12:45:28 PM »
fucking poser.....my gf's 16 year old sister does shit like that and it makes me sick....this 40+ year old man does this and wants my vote?!?!

he's over 60 years old, born in '43. Pretty rocky, hehe. well let's just look at it like this: he wont fuck up the rap industry. Gore might have had, since his wife was a strong hater of extreme rap lyrics.
No, it's not a sin

smerlus

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 12:48:17 PM »

he's over 60 years old, born in '43. Pretty rocky, hehe. well let's just look at it like this: he wont fuck up the rap industry. Gore might have had, since his wife was a strong hater of extreme rap lyrics.

damn 60?!?! dude looks like he's 48, 49

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 12:48:53 PM »
Heinz released a statement earlier this week saying that they had absolutely no relation to Kerry or his wife anymore, and wanted to make it clear that their profits don't go to Kerry's campaign.  Hmmm.  I wonder why they would do that?  

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 01:02:36 PM »
hes full of shit, he just doesnt want to go against the black people , and lose those votes, fuckin poser, on that mtv thing did they ask him any hard questions, like 1sx were he couldnt avoid and had to take a side, ex. Abortion

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 03:32:39 PM »
Fuck Kerry...I was on his side at first, but he wants to start taxing gas, and all sorts of shit...FUCK THAT.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 03:51:29 PM »
Fuck Kerry...I was on his side at first, but he wants to start taxing gas, and all sorts of shit...FUCK THAT.

isnt that what he said 10 years ago?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 04:08:22 PM »
Obviously he doesn't mean it, but realistically it's a good campaign move. It'll get 18-25 year old kids who don't give a damn about politics a reason to care.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 08:32:14 PM »
Hmmm... doesn't integrity mean anything to you?

dexter

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 12:06:06 PM »
^Bush doesnt have any
WMD my ass Screw Punk Bush

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 12:43:22 PM »
Hmmm... doesn't integrity mean anything to you?

To me or to the general public? I never said that I felt he should do that, but I do think it's a good move on his part. For the record I don't care much for Kerry but I like him more than Bush.

Paris