Author Topic: Knoc-turn'al - The Way I Am  (Read 1984 times)

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
Knoc-turn'al - The Way I Am
« on: April 02, 2004, 11:46:11 PM »
Knoc-turn’al has been messed around too many times. It was looking perhaps too good for him, as Dre was set to “executive produce” his debut album. But  fate would have it that everything Knoc made was leaked and bootlegged, and in an act of desperation Knoc-turn’al released a 6 song EP. The EP had great production, but as all other EPs, it didn’t sell jack. Finally having a deal with Elektra Knoc-turn’al brings us a brand new LP with 14 new songs. None of the songs on the album were intended for “Knocs Landin”, the initial debut album which was bootlegged. Now I’m going to get into a detailed  song-by-song review.

1)   Intro – A dark beat with knoc and some other people talking and rapping over it. Knoc sends out some shoutouts to his homeboys.

2)   War (Feat. Slip Capone) – Knoc teams up with fellow “L.A. Confidential” member Slip Capone on this one. In the two verses the rappers tell off Bush and the war in Iraq. The production is superb – There’s a constant vibrating sound with solid, soft drums and whistling in certain parts. There’s a beautiful piano piece in the last half minute. 9.5/10

3)   Love L.A. – Hard claps and fast, adrenaline pumping beat. This song could be a hit. The chorus features a techno-ish tune, made popular by such producers as Lil’ Jon. Thankfully, the production isn’t “dirry south” sounding at all. The lyrics are clubbish and as I already said, this song could be a hit, especially in clubs on the west coast. 8.5/10

4)   The Way I Am (Feat. Snoop Dogg) – The initial version of this song was perfomed by Knoc-turn’al by himself. To my pleasant surprise, the remix featured the Doggfather himself. Snoop’s lyrics are sub-par, but it doesn’t take away from the song. The beat is by Scott Storch, one of Dr. Dre’s ghost producers. This was the lead single for the CD, but it wasn’t a good choice because it’s neither “Gangsta” nor “Club”, as most lead singles are nowadays. But I love the song. Straight westcoast! 9/10

5)   Watch Out (Feat. Hittman) – I heard this song over a year ago and I was praying it wouldn’t make the final cut for “The Way I Am.” The song has a very corny, lethargic beat. The lyrics aren’t good, and Hittman sucks. No wonder he couldn’t get his CD released on Aftermath. This song is a lot like “your wife” from nate dogg’s 2nd LP, but it’s not nearly as good (although “your wife” wasn’t that great anyway). This is my least favorite song on the album. 5/10

6)   Radio Skit – I wish there wasn’t a skit, but it’s aptly placed between “Watch out” and “Peepin’ Tom”.

7)   Peepin’ Tom – This song is just great. The beat is a little slow, but it matches the song perfectly. Basically, Knoc takes famous quotes and titles from westcoast songs from the past 15 years and combines them in hilarious ways. 9/10

8)   Click-Click (Feat. Slip Capone, Yykkes) – The beat sounds a little beat like Busta Rhymes’ “Break ya Neck”, but not as good. There are constant gunshot sounds in the background made popular by the horrible rapper 50Cent. The lyrics are just Ok, but as a whole the songs sounds OK. It’s pretty much filler material though. 7/10.

9)   Love Slave – Produced by DJ Quik, this song was bound to be funky. The title explains the lyrical content. I really like the production and the chorus, and Knoc’s flow perfectly complements the beat. This song could be a great hit if made into a single. 9/10

10)   What We Do (Feat. Xzibit, Warren G, Nate Dogg) Hell yeah! Best song on the album. Some straight west coast production by the G Child. Xzibit comes off nicely. Warren does too. Nate does too, as always. Knoc’s verse is awesome as well. Basically this song belong in the same list as “The game don’t wait Remix”, “the Hardest”, “The Sh!t”, “Bring back that G Sh!t”, and “Never gonna give it up”. If u know what I’m talking about, u know this song is THA SH!T! 10/10.

11)   I Like (Feat. Yero Brock). This is the only Dr.Dre produced song on the CD. Honestly, I expected more from him on the boards, but it’s growing on me somewhat. This song is slow and you’ll wanna bob your heard to it if it’s turned up loud enough. There are some nice string melodies in the beat, but the main loop is annoying. This song has the same theme as “Love Slave”, and “Watch out”, so go figure. Not bad though, it’s growing on me each time I listen to it. 8/10.

12)   Change the Game – Wow, this song has a hard bass. Great beat here, a lot like KRS ONE’s “Shutupayoface.” This song is basically braggadocio. This bumps WELL in the car. The chorus is cool. The song is basically all around great. 9/10.

13)   Until the Day (Souljah Story) – This song showcases Knoc’s emotional side. The lyrics are simple but clear to understand. The theme here is struggle, and the beat is slow and very matching. I don’t really dig the RnB here, but I have to admit that it matches the song. I have a feeling that this kind of rapping isn’t Knoc’s specialty, although he delivers. I don’t listen to this song a lot, but it deserves a high score. 8.5/10

14)   Have Fun – Timbaland laced this song. The beat is pretty good, but not as commercially appealing as most of Timbo’s beats are. Knoc comes off nicely here with Ok lyrics, but the song isn’t too memorable. 7.5/10

15)   Never Stop Thuggin’ (Feat. Lil’ Mo) – The beat is just the type I hate. It sounds like one of those beats that were really popular about a year ago in 2003. quick guitar plucks and claps. Something you would hear from a Fabolous CD featuring R.Kelly. I don’t like this song at all. Probably my second least favorite after “Watch out”. 6/10

16)   Him or Me (Feat. Nate Dogg) – VERY Westcoast sounding beat here. I was pleasantly surprised by this song because it is supposed to be a “hidden track.” Usually Hidden tracks don’t feature Nate Dogg on the hook, do they? Good production by FredWreck, the same guy who laced Westside Connection’s “Gangsta Nations” and produced the better half of Kurupt’s “Space Boogie.” The beat gets a little monotonous before the middle of the song though. The flute and bells help out a lot, but they don’t kick in until about one and a half minutes into the song. I’ll give this one a 9/10

Overall, Knoc-turn’al CD missed the high mark which I had set for him, but it’s still a very solid release. There are many potential hits on this CD, but it’s unfortunate that the westcoast is shamelessly overlooked by the rest of the country. Good or bad, but this CD isn’t very westcoast. It’s much more commercialized than the bootleg of “Knocs Landin.” It is probably a better CD, too. “Knocs Landin” was more on a G-funk and chilled out edge, but “The Way I Am” sounds like an album that could sell really well. Unfortunately, it only sold about 25,000 copies in the first week. Do I recommend this? Yes, but not to backpackers. People like me, who enjoy all types of rap (with some exceptions) will really like this CD. It’s not the Classic I had hoped it would be, but it’s still a very solid effort by Knoc. More good things to come, hopefully.

A solid 4/5

I originally wrote this review for www.epinions.com
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Tha Crip

Re:Knoc-turn'al - The Way I Am
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 11:54:27 PM »
thanks....War is by far the best track on da album tho.....man dat knoc can produce good shit.....he makes dat beat sound like dre himself produced it....jus wish it was longer
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"

akaDRooPY

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 05:14:41 PM »
i don't know how you gave "Watch Out" a 5/10. i think this song is pretty dope. Hittman comes correct, and i feel the beat (shit has got some bass!) and this song reminds me of "XXplosive" off of Chronic 2001. In fact it could be renamed Xplosive 2

Diabolical

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 03:24:43 PM »
I was told it was shit, I better continue downloading it...

The Predator

Re: Knoc-turn'al - The Way I Am
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 09:10:13 AM »

16)   Him or Me (Feat. Nate Dogg) – VERY Westcoast sounding beat here. I was pleasantly surprised by this song because it is supposed to be a “hidden track.” Usually Hidden tracks don’t feature Nate Dogg on the hook, do they? Good production by FredWreck, the same guy who laced Westside Connection’s “Gangsta Nations” and produced the better half of Kurupt’s “Space Boogie.” The beat gets a little monotonous before the middle of the song though. The flute and bells help out a lot, but they don’t kick in until about one and a half minutes into the song. I’ll give this one a 9/10

This was cool, Nate came correct on the hook, Knoc sounded focused and the beat was spot on. Fredwreck produced it? Sounded more of Scott Storch's style. This is perfect for a single for Knoc.

DAYUM

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 10:33:38 AM »
4/5 IMO

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 11:00:56 AM »
I definitely agree with "What We Do" thats a banger.  I disagree with "watch Out" I think its a really dope song I woulda gave that 8/10

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 04:16:24 PM »
I HATED This album. Regret buying it. Maybe I was just anticipating too much, I dunno

6/10
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

DAYUM

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 04:42:34 PM »
I HATED This album. Regret buying it. Maybe I was just anticipating too much, I dunno

6/10

it grew on me htats what i thought at first too but it grew alot on me

Okka

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 05:17:51 PM »
Did y'all know that ''I Like'' is a old Knoc-Turn'Al song, it was supposed to be on his first album ''Knoc's Landin'' so it's a left over...My thoughts on the album...The album was great maybe the best album of the year...it had great songs like ''What We Do'', ''The Way I Am'', ''Him Or Me'', ''I Like'' , ''Watch Out'' and ''Have Fun'' and the song ''Peepin Tom'' was great...
''Dear God, I wonder can you save me?
Dear Mama, Brenda had a baby''

It has lyrics from ''Murder Was The Case'', ''Brenda's Got A Baby'' , ''Express Yourself'', ''It Was A Good Day'', ''Summertime In The L-B-C'', ''Fuck Tha Police'', ''Nuthin' But A G Thang'', ''8 Ball'' and others...

RXL

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 01:57:18 PM »
The album was great maybe the best album of the year

I liked it, but it wasn't that good.

prince

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 06:47:41 PM »
good reveiw

I was really dissappointed with this effort by knocturnal. knocs landing was so dope!!

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2004, 04:17:31 PM »
good reveiw

I was really dissappointed with this effort by knocturnal. knocs landing was so dope!!

I agree, Knoc's landing as dope. This album was a huge disappointment.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

soopa-man

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 01:53:21 PM »
'Never Stop Thuggin" was straight garbage it was like i kept feeling Ja Rule was gonna come on the song and start singing..."Until The Day" is wack compared to other songs Knoc had with a more mature content vlaue "Your Only Son","What Is Life", those joints should have made the cut!

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 06:03:32 PM »
i woz thinkin 4/5 pretty solid album
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program