Author Topic: I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music  (Read 1129 times)

Don Breezio

Re:I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2004, 08:18:53 PM »
The meat of my argument is that hip-hop is negetive just like almost all entertainment in America is negetive.  Argue that point.  

he already did...he said something to the effect of...

"yes movies are negative but theres a difference...you don't watch a movie anywhere near as much as you listen to a song..."

basically saying that not only do you not hear it as much but you don't memorize entire movies and play parts of them in your head when there is dead silence like you do with music. i don't agree with those faggots who think that we should blame marilyn manson for the columbine shootings or blame eminem when some kids smacks his mom...the listener has a responsibilty to not buy into this shit...but when this shit is "whats cool" then it gets kinda hard...peer pressure's a muhfucka.

and whoever said it earlier...im still waiting for my list of 20 positive artists  ::)

Doggystylin

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2004, 08:19:18 PM »

The meat of my argument is that hip-hop is negetive just like almost all entertainment in America is negetive.  Argue that point.  

Just cause one thing is wrong doesnt make the other thing right, I have argued that, read the thread. That has been everyone's argument.

Also, Hip-hop artists say they represent the hood, yeah I'm sure the hood is real proud of Snoop right now. That is just as bad as your news reporter argument.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2004, 10:30:14 PM »
do i even know the essense of hip hop? are you kidding me? atleast rappers are honest with themselves? how? they know what they're doing is wrong but they'll keep doing it for money? they'll look for beef to get shot so they can become a superstar? hip hop is a fake cult. alotta of people that are "hip hop heads" are obsessed with it. it's fake because 99% of the shit gangsta raoppers spit is bullshit. it might happen, but they don't do it. and how can anyone say they aren't promoting negativity? half these rappers brag about how many hoes they get, how much expensive alcohol and imported smoke they can get thier hands on, how much heat they hold and people they'll gat down, how many bullets they can handle and how many times they dodge death. and most of this is just in an average song. when do they ever say it's just entertainment? they boast about the sins they commit expecting praise. i wasn't bought up in a different enviroment, i'm still in the mindframe of fuck the police, matter of fact, i'm more on some fuck the governement shit. how can i say some shit like this? because, i still love hip hop, i still listen to some shit i don't nessacerily agree with every once and a while but shit dogg, hip hop isn't honest. c'mon, be onest with yourself. i bet the shit you rhyme about ain't even honest... you know why? because, that's how you've been conditioned. infinite is right, saying all entertainment is negative etc. but that isn't what this post is about. everything equals money these days. don't fool yourself thinking you're listening to something real. what's real is when you go out and do an honest day's work to support your fam. what's real is when your girl dumps you for some asshole who claims to be gangsta. what's real is when you want to get out the gang but the gang members ain't having it so they hunt you down to kill you. living your life like a made man isn't real...

aiight, good answer, agreed 151%

especially wit tha 2nd part of tha paragraph....

but oh well....it's nothin 2 me....I've actually dwelled on this issue many times in my life....I just make it seem like I haven't because of the fact that I've come 2 realize that's just tha way it is and I don't want people coming in here bad mouthing hip hop and not appreciating for what it is....U just gotta see life in a bigger picture and charge tha pity shit to tha game....like dead prez I use alot as an example....they're always complaining about shit and they're right about those issues most of tha time....but so what? It's good to get people 2 be aware what's REAL....what's not good is 2 come in here and say 'hey, hip hop is too offensive, let's find other genres'....that would be the downfall of hip hop as we kno it....and I see it already too....I feel like hip hop has reached it's prime and is slowly fallin....I don't think it will ever fall completely too soon because urban america will always exist....but mainstream wise, it will slowly fall as people grow and generations change....but then again, how could it? what would replace it? hmmm....I dunno, it's an interesting subject....I still would like to stick to my point that ALL OF US in here arguing will still bump tha offensive shit at certain times just like we bump reflective/concious shit at other times....This thread is good to remind people and get people to be aware tho....dats where it ends pretty much....tha rest is so what?

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

hector

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2004, 11:27:42 PM »
of course rap is negative, I've known that ever since I started listening to it.  it doesn't bother me tho.  I'm not  stupid, I don't take to heart what these guys say, its just entertainment.

Look at California's Governor - Arnold.  How many negative movies has he been in?  The Terminator movies are negative as hell.  There are tons of negative movies out that are very popular.

Look at video games.  First person shooters are the biggest thing in video games, and have been for years.  All you do is kill people.  That is extremely negative.  Look how popular the GTA games are, they are extremely negative.  Remember how popular Mortal Kombat was when it first came out?  

Just watch the news.  How often is the news positive?  More stories on the news are negative instead of positive.  In fact I hardly ever see anything positive on the news, its pretty depressing.  And this shit ain't made up entertainment, its real fuckin life shit.

Look at our world today, its majorly negative.  Wars goin on, terrorist attatcks, homeless people, starving ass people, jobless people, people dying all the time.  Our prisons in USA are overpopulated, meanwhile schools can't even get enuff funding.  We can't even trust our own damn government here in the USA.

Shit look at American Idol, and that Judge Simon.  Look how he treats people.  I mean you really can't get anymore negative than that.  He just shoots people's dreams down, and probably makes them feel like shit.

People luv drama and they luv negativity.  How many people want to watch a movie where everything is all good, and there is no drama, no climax, nothing negative.

There is a lot of negative shit in the world, and I am surprised how people don't notice it.  Rap is one of the very least negative things that society should be concerned with imo.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2004, 03:07:16 AM »
Sorry, but if you let music affect your everyday life, you're probably a weak person...You're telling me that if a rapper bragged about how cool it is to get shot, you'd wanna get shot too? You say rap influenced you as a child, but do you know how many kids I've seen running around screaming "I'm Tony Montana!"...Fact is, that's not gunna stop me from watching gangster movies, and when i do watch gangster movies, I sure as hell wont let it affect my everyday life, like some idiots I know...What I'm basically saying is, you got to have self control...PeACe

teecee

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2004, 05:30:11 AM »
This is actually a very interesting thread, props to all for expressing their views.

I gotta say this: i was first attracted to hiphop BECAUSE of the negativity!  I always knew it was negative, i never took it as gospel.  

And for the person who says what we see on the news is just as bad, major props, because the way they package those stories is bullshit.  Its all shock value, all fear, its always been that way but if it comes from respectable journalists then it must be accurate.'

And to the guy saying rappers dont rap about real things, listen to some Last Emperor, Masta Ace (Disposable Arts), Nas (at times), and even Kanye (you may not like him, but know one else raps about working at the Gap and being the "token blackie" when black people walked in.....

Lastly, look for the positive in hiphop, because there is more than you think.  In any aspect of life, you can dwell on the negative of you want, but there is usually positive involved as well.  Take Nas, he has made some completely ignorant songs, but listen to the lyrics of Rule or I Can, that is some real shit right there.  

Just a question?  What is a positive music genre?  

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2004, 07:28:49 AM »
yup rap is negative, its funny why ppl are surprised that the police have special taskforces investigating rappers when they kill some1 in every song and rap about million dollar drug deals etc.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Neji Huga

• 'G'
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2004, 07:29:13 AM »
This is actually a very interesting thread, props to all for expressing their views.

I gotta say this: i was first attracted to hiphop BECAUSE of the negativity!  I always knew it was negative, i never took it as gospel.  

And for the person who says what we see on the news is just as bad, major props, because the way they package those stories is bullshit.  Its all shock value, all fear, its always been that way but if it comes from respectable journalists then it must be accurate.'

And to the guy saying rappers dont rap about real things, listen to some Last Emperor, Masta Ace (Disposable Arts), Nas (at times), and even Kanye (you may not like him, but know one else raps about working at the Gap and being the "token blackie" when black people walked in.....

Lastly, look for the positive in hiphop, because there is more than you think.  In any aspect of life, you can dwell on the negative of you want, but there is usually positive involved as well.  Take Nas, he has made some completely ignorant songs, but listen to the lyrics of Rule or I Can, that is some real shit right there.  

Just a question?  What is a positive music genre?  
8)
My Train of Thought

"I Got 99 Problems. But, a Bitch ain't one...."

Neji Huga

• 'G'
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2004, 07:46:52 AM »
ok, first of all i wanna thank everyone for keeping this conversation respectable

Now neija huga, rap from the ghetto DOES NOT have to be negative, nothing HAS to be negative,almost everything can be flipped and turned into something positive, but that is not the case, i dont mind rappers explaining their environment, but once a rapper is rich and living in the suburbs i really doubt their environment is still so negative, rappers just have that negative mentality.

Rap, CAN be positive music, it has been proven, but it is not, so aslong as you accept all the heat rap is getting with no problem, then ok, but dont think that rappers are victimised, because they bring it upon themselves.
You know Pitbull you have called out my name but have not read my post. When did I say "rap from the ghetto have to be negative". Don't put your words in my Post. When did I say anything HAS to be Negative. I stated why sometings are negative. Like I stated earlier take your advice and read everone's words. I am not God so I can not tell people what has to be and does not have to be. READ MY POST Again! then read yours they don't match. You are just arguing nothing. I'm not justitfing I am explaning one reason for negativity, not all of them. Also I did state some of it will be postive. You would know that if you read my post. btw Jay-Z said it best ", how would you explain? I'm ten years removed, still the vibe is in my veins I got a hustler spirit, nigga period Check out my hat yo, peep the way I wear it Check out my swag' yo, I walk like a ballplayer No matter where you go, you are what you are player And you can try to change but that's just as hot player Man, you was who you was 'fore you got here Only God can judge me, so I'm gone Either love me, or leave me alone" - Album: The Black Album Song: Public Service Announcement (Interlude) 8)
My Train of Thought

"I Got 99 Problems. But, a Bitch ain't one...."

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2004, 09:08:22 AM »
Hiphop is life and life is negative.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Breezio

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2004, 10:47:18 PM »

life's only negative if you let it be

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2004, 05:10:53 AM »

life's only negative if you let it be

get the fuck outta here wit that... look what grundy said, he's basically right too.

Entertainment: Negative. So is Rap. See: comedy is mainly making fun of ppl --> negative.
movies: mainly ppl in trouble, drama, ppl getting killed, hurt etc --> negative.
music, Rap..: negative.
Entertainment is negative.

Our World: negative.
News: terrorist attacks, war in the middle east, rapes of little children, murderers, lies of presidents.. --> Negative.
My life: no job, bad grades at school, parents have hardly any money to support me with, my sister has to raise her 3 kids in a 3-Room-Flat on the 5th floor together with her husband, etc.... --> Negative.

Bottom Line: it is what it is. hiphop is negative, but so is life. and it's not like you let life be, it is just negative as a fact. of course you can ignore all the negative stuff and be happy or whatever, but c'mon, open your fuckin eyes.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Doggystylin

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2004, 08:47:17 AM »
your the one who has to open your eyes, you think, oh everythings so bad, everythings so negative, everythings so rough,oh grow up, that type of mentality is childish.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2004, 09:44:47 AM »
If you can't stand the heat, why don't you just become a hippy? 8)

Doggystylin

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2004, 11:07:11 AM »
shut up dude, its stupid ass immature shit like that, that makes me come here less and less. ohwell though, peace, im done with this conversation, we've all said what we had to and if anyone learned anything then cool, if not then too bad.

oh yeah, i never really pay attention to my karma but ive noticed its really taken a plunge ever since i made this thread.....lol kids.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 11:08:12 AM by Doggy aka Pitbull »