Author Topic: I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music  (Read 1127 times)

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
Re:I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »
your the one who has to open your eyes, you think, oh everythings so bad, everythings so negative, everythings so rough,oh grow up, that type of mentality is childish.

naw mane, it is ruff, it ain't no childish mentality, he's expressin how it is, dats real....if it don't apply to yur life, then don't speak on it....shit's ruff, but we don't need 2 be reminded by these type of threads....

bottomline doggy, U don't have a solution....what rapper is gone make songs about happy things on his whole album? lol....and if it's so stupid when certain rappers speak about they hood and how they came up, then don't listen, what is the big deal? U can't change anything....and yur still gone be listenin 2 tha same negative stuff....so end this bullshit.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Don Breezio

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2004, 11:33:08 AM »
Hiphop is life and life is negative.

life's only negative if you let it be

get the fuck outta here wit that... look what grundy said, he's basically right too.

Entertainment: Negative. So is Rap. See: comedy is mainly making fun of ppl --> negative.
movies: mainly ppl in trouble, drama, ppl getting killed, hurt etc --> negative.
music, Rap..: negative.
Entertainment is negative.

Our World: negative.
News: terrorist attacks, war in the middle east, rapes of little children, murderers, lies of presidents.. --> Negative.
My life: no job, bad grades at school, parents have hardly any money to support me with, my sister has to raise her 3 kids in a 3-Room-Flat on the 5th floor together with her husband, etc.... --> Negative.

Bottom Line: it is what it is. hiphop is negative, but so is life. and it's not like you let life be, it is just negative as a fact. of course you can ignore all the negative stuff and be happy or whatever, but c'mon, open your fuckin eyes.

god damn...you really are getting fucked by the media arent you? for every negative thing in entertainment there is an equally positive one to make up for it...hip hop being the exception because there isnt much positivity in it...but movies...theres tons of postive ones, games....theres tons of games like GTA yes...but then theres tons of games like GT3, Crazy Taxi, NBA Street, etc...where they arent negative at all (minus a little trash talk  ;D),

then you say life is negative? no...the only negative parts of life are what you see on tv...as i said...life's only negative if you let it be and thats probably the realest thing anyone has said out of this entire thread...stop acting like this is hell on earth....think about how worse off you could be...i dunno bout you but i sure as hell thank god for not being homeless, or retarded, or even being a drunk or something like that...those people have it way worse off than we do.

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2004, 11:50:05 AM »
damn, no disrespect intended, cos i dont know u but, some of those things u said about ur life i.e. bad grades at school, no job...are things that are kind of self inflicted...like, no matter what people say, everyone is capable of getting good grades, even if not in all subjects, and so job prospects are a follow on from that. i agree with Luke, there are a lot of people who are worse off in this world, for example i work with the a Red Cross project near where i live, with guys who are severely disabled, who are unable to walk, talk, have no control over there limbs etc etc...and they attend college to try and better themselves rather than focusing on the negativity...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Don Breezio

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2004, 02:31:45 PM »
damn, no disrespect intended, cos i dont know u but, some of those things u said about ur life i.e. bad grades at school, no job...are things that are kind of self inflicted...like, no matter what people say, everyone is capable of getting good grades, even if not in all subjects, and so job prospects are a follow on from that. i agree with Luke, there are a lot of people who are worse off in this world, for example i work with the a Red Cross project near where i live, with guys who are severely disabled, who are unable to walk, talk, have no control over there limbs etc etc...and they attend college to try and better themselves rather than focusing on the negativity...

exactly...i worked at a place for a few weeks (volunteered) at Delta Rehab Center...where theres a couple hundered residents who either can't walk, can't talk, can't think...or all three...because of stupid shit they did in their lives before...and i gotta say seeing that shit makes you really think about how good your life is.

Trauma-san

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2004, 02:50:25 PM »
Yes, it is true, I hate to admit it, but its true, I mean some of you just dont understand the energy these people are sending out with their voice and lyrics, even if you are not listening to the music, just the energy in the songs.

hip-hop rarely brings across good messages and good vibes, and those are the conscious heads like talib kweli and mos def.

I mean what I cant understand is how an artist like dr dre can be STILL talking about the same shit he was talking about a decade ago and NOT GROW. The guy is damn near 40 years old, I would feel stupid as hell if i was him. After a while I just get fed up with these gangsta tales, I find it childish.

Then there is the influence this music has on society, which i will not get into too much because i feel like the listener has a resposibility of NOT BEING STUPID. but then the person making the music should be aware of the effects he will have with every word he says, well OF COURSE, a musician does not want you go out and kill people or do drugs and get in trouble or whatever, but he has to know his power. and a lot of rappers are ignorant to this.

I have been a defender of hip hop my whole life, i have always loved it and defended it like it was my family but now i have come to the realization that just about 90% of rap is negative and has negative effects. after reading a interview between cam'ron dame dash and bill o reilly, there really was no way to defend cam.

Of course you're right, and of course many will disagree with you.... but it's the truth, people have known things like this forever.  why do you think you feel good when you hear a good song? It's because it has an effect on you.  Obviously, a negative song is going to have a negative effect on you, too, anybody should be able to figure that one out.  Anybody that's ever heard a metallica song and ended up going 90 miles an hour down the freeway listening to it KNOWS music has an effect on your state of mind.  

I totally agree with the evaluation of Dre, too, it's getting to the point it's embarassing. At least the young guys have an excuse, they can say they're ignorant.  Dre should know better.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2004, 03:01:09 PM »
Hiphop is life and life is negative.

life's only negative if you let it be

Exactly... in the end, it attracts two elements.  Doggy's generally an upbeat optimistic person (or he's trying to be), so he realizes that Rap is negative, and life doesn't have to be like that.

Others feel that life is negative, and they think they relate to rap better.  

Personally, I left most rap behind long ago, I know the shit's negative, and I'm just bored with negativity.  It doesn't interest me.  I don't know if it holds me back, but I just don't have an interest in it, so I don't listen to most of it.  

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »

see... I know I talked about some things that only concern me and some of them  I might even be capable to change, but most things concern all of us and most things arent changeable. I know that I dont have the worst life and shit, and that's what makes the world so damn negative, get it? My post wasnt intended to say how bad my life is, ppl who got it that way got it wrong... it was intended to describe how negative this whole fuckin globe is. you rather complete my theory wit your post instead of backin up Luke's without even knowing it.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

-Vorte[ x ]-

• Lil Geezy
  • ...Reality is only a perception...
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2004, 09:21:51 PM »
Good thread Doggy, props, I respect it.  A lot of hip hop is negative, and it's understandable to some degree.  We know how hip hop originated, and where most of the rappers came from.  We understand the situations in the ghettos, and respect the fact that they shed light on them, brought some harsh reality to music, which is really an expression of self.  But what gets annoying, is how rappers, to this day, still keep rapping about the same thing.  We know how hard it is in the hood, and many people have experienced it, we know how messed up things are, its reality.  But now it seems as if its a gimmick, people are just rapping about it, for the heck of it.   It gets tiring to hear about fucking bitches, getting high, drinkin and about life is hard.  It gets to the point when you're basically just hearing complaints over a beat.  Hearing some one speak out and challange the fakeness in the media, show the reality of life instead of making music an escapist form of art is commendable and very interesting, but its the same thing over and over, its getting tiring.  Heck, most rappers who talk about how hard life was in the hood didn't even have it that bad, compared to some living in countries like Africa or India.  It's almost selfish.  

There is negativity in the world, its a well known fact, but complaing about it isn't going to make a difference, wether you make a song about it, or a speech.  I understand music is an expression of self, but instead of just complaning, maybe they should talk about how to make things better.  I don't want someone rapping like they're in some sort of magical fantasy place where everything is always alright, and I don't want to hear someone constantly moaning and complaining about life, always looking at the darker side.  Saying 'fuck the world' never helped anyone.  And like I said earlier, the saddest thing is, most rappers just use it as a gimmick, a way to make money.  Suddenly getting shot is cool, being "ghetto'" is cool (to all the people who are still in school, how many times have you heard someone say "ghetto" as a replacement for "cool" or "dope"?)  Now it just gets pathetic, insulting to the people who really suffer.  

And yes, I realize there are songs for different ocasions, a club song might have sexual references in it, or getting drunk etc.  I can kinda understand that, and I don't care, but it gets annoying when thats ALLL a rapper ever talks about.  Where is the originality?  The content?  Now days, theres not really much difference between one rapper or the other.  Even if both claim to be rivals, when you get down to it, they really rap about the same damn stuff.

Yes we know life is hard, yes we know a lot of things suck, and we all enjoy sex, so its getting tiring to hear about these things in every track.  If you really WANT to talk about how the world is messed up, also talk about what you can do about it.  Or if you just want to complain, then stop talking solely about "the hood" and talk about how other people have it tougher.  
As far as the influence upon children goes, personally I beleive that one of the most important gifts of man, is the ability to choose.  You CHOOSE to be affected by a person or a thing, you make decisions every day, and you alone are responsible for your actions.  

-V[ X ]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 09:27:37 PM by -Vorte[ x ]- »
-Vorte[ x ]

Don Breezio

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2004, 12:54:11 PM »

see... I know I talked about some things that only concern me and some of them  I might even be capable to change, but most things concern all of us and most things arent changeable. I know that I dont have the worst life and shit, and that's what makes the world so damn negative, get it? My post wasnt intended to say how bad my life is, ppl who got it that way got it wrong... it was intended to describe how negative this whole fuckin globe is. you rather complete my theory wit your post instead of backin up Luke's without even knowing it.

but the thing is there are very few things that are negative in life that you can't change....like obviously you can't change the fact that there is war....but look at the war this way...we're over there helping out other people so that we can make their lives a little bit more positive (GOD I WANT TO BELIEVE THAT). the fact is for every negative thing about life i could think of 100 positive things to cancel it out.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2004, 01:54:07 PM »

but the thing is there are very few things that are negative in life that you can't change....like obviously you can't change the fact that there is war....but look at the war this way...we're over there helping out other people so that we can make their lives a little bit more positive (GOD I WANT TO BELIEVE THAT). the fact is for every negative thing about life i could think of 100 positive things to cancel it out.
1. I want to believe that too, but I cant. Making yourself more naive than you actually are isnt the best solution I can think of.
2. I cant think of more positive things.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 03:18:49 PM by 7even the Harbinger »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Breezio

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2004, 02:06:37 PM »

1. I want to believe that too, but I cant. Making yourself more naive than your isnt the best solution I can think of.
2. I cant think of more positive things.

what i meant by i want to believe that is i'd like to believe thats the reason we went there in the first place and its not...but if you look at it that is the outcome...saddam is out of power...therefore we have helped make some peoples lives a little better.

the reason you can't think of more positive things is because you have your mind dead set on thinking life is nothing but negativity...and its not...open it up a bit and i bet you'll find life is a lot more positive than you think...for instance...in 2 weeks i lost my girl, my job, and i had to go to the doctor tons of times for health problems...of course i was thinking negatively...but then it all turned out good in the end...i got a new job, health shit went away...im over the girl...and i feel great...the fact is everything turns out ok at some point.

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2004, 07:32:46 AM »
bit off topic but can u throw me a link for that particular cam/dame dash interview man?

West C. Connected

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2004, 08:05:10 AM »
Tray Deee's almost 40 too isn't he?

Trauma-san

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2004, 06:03:35 AM »
bit off topic but can u throw me a link for that particular cam/dame dash interview man?

It was posted on the board a while back, it was pretty embarassing.  Bill O'Reilly had a school teacher on, and they were specifically asking Cam about lyrics, and he just came off as a total dumbass.  EVEN Dame Dash was coming down on O'reilly's side because Cam was just saying STUPID shit.  

ecrazy

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2004, 09:38:35 AM »

I mean what I cant understand is how an artist like dr dre can be STILL talking about the same shit he was talking about a decade ago and NOT GROW. The guy is damn near 40 years old, I would feel stupid as hell if i was him. After a while I just get fed up with these gangsta tales, I find it childish.

Then there is the influence this music has on society, which i will not get into too much because i feel like the listener has a resposibility of NOT BEING STUPID. but then the person making the music should be aware of the effects he will have with every word he says, well OF COURSE, a musician does not want you go out and kill people or do drugs and get in trouble or whatever, but he has to know his power. and a lot of rappers are ignorant to this.

I have been a defender of hip hop my whole life, i have always loved it and defended it like it was my family but now i have come to the realization that just about 90% of rap is negative and has negative effects. after reading a interview between cam'ron dame dash and bill o reilly, there really was no way to defend cam.

I totally agree with the evaluation of Dre, too, it's getting to the point it's embarassing. At least the young guys have an excuse, they can say they're ignorant.  Dre should know better.  

DRE did try to change, but his album flopped...remember "The Aftermath" Remember "Been There, Done That"??? It didnt sell at all.....