Author Topic: I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music  (Read 1150 times)

Doggystylin

I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music
« on: April 07, 2004, 05:45:50 PM »
Yes, it is true, I hate to admit it, but its true, I mean some of you just dont understand the energy these people are sending out with their voice and lyrics, even if you are not listening to the music, just the energy in the songs.

hip-hop rarely brings across good messages and good vibes, and those are the conscious heads like talib kweli and mos def.

I mean what I cant understand is how an artist like dr dre can be STILL talking about the same shit he was talking about a decade ago and NOT GROW. The guy is damn near 40 years old, I would feel stupid as hell if i was him. After a while I just get fed up with these gangsta tales, I find it childish.

Then there is the influence this music has on society, which i will not get into too much because i feel like the listener has a resposibility of NOT BEING STUPID. but then the person making the music should be aware of the effects he will have with every word he says, well OF COURSE, a musician does not want you go out and kill people or do drugs and get in trouble or whatever, but he has to know his power. and a lot of rappers are ignorant to this.

I have been a defender of hip hop my whole life, i have always loved it and defended it like it was my family but now i have come to the realization that just about 90% of rap is negative and has negative effects. after reading a interview between cam'ron dame dash and bill o reilly, there really was no way to defend cam.

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »
i agree with your post...though i could care less...sounds good to my ears thats all i care

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 07:33:18 PM »
i agree with your post...though i could care less...sounds good to my ears thats all i care

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 07:58:29 PM »
I agree, lately I have tended to steer more towards positive hip-hop.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Don Breezio

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 08:48:01 PM »
yeah most of hip hop is negative and its gettin rediculous...most of the time its about killing or drugs or its just unbelievably offensive. but even people like mos def are negative...i mean...i love mos defs music and i'd say he's positive more than negative...but a lot of his stuff is negative in a totally different sense than the rest of hip hop...its really hard to find positive artists at all.

teecee

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 11:04:24 PM »
Sure, there are negative messages in hip hop, what is new?  Is this a news flask to ya'll????  Some people are unbeleivable to me.   DId you realize there is also a lot of negative energy in movies, and even other forms of music.

Besides, there are PLENTY of intelligent rappers to listen to, who make incredible music.  Sure, there are ignorant, arrogant, half-retarded idiots like Camron, but there are very intelligent people in hiphop too.  

I just find this amusing that you just realized half of rap is negative though, it is just too funny.  peace, and if you want a list of 20 rappers who do mostly positive music, holler .

Don Breezio

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 11:07:43 PM »
Sure, there are negative messages in hip hop, what is new?  Is this a news flask to ya'll????  Some people are unbeleivable to me.   DId you realize there is also a lot of negative energy in movies, and even other forms of music.

Besides, there are PLENTY of intelligent rappers to listen to, who make incredible music.  Sure, there are ignorant, arrogant, half-retarded idiots like Camron, but there are very intelligent people in hiphop too.  

I just find this amusing that you just realized half of rap is negative though, it is just too funny.  peace, and if you want a list of 20 rappers who do mostly positive music, holler .

read what we were saying next time...times have changed...hip hop has grown...but yet some rappers are still stuck in the "fuck the police" "kill everything that walks" days.

yes you're right...other music forms are very negative...but theres a ton of positive (oh lets say...rock) to make up for it. go ahead though...i want  a list of 20 rappers that do mostly positive music.

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 11:09:03 PM »
hip hop isnt like how it used to be when it was balanced out you had peolpe like P.E. even though they were pretty angry but at least they had a message

Don Breezio

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 11:13:46 PM »
hip hop isnt like how it used to be when it was balanced out you had peolpe like P.E. even though they were pretty angry but at least they had a message

theres still tons of rappers with a message...just because they have a message doesnt mean they are positive.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 11:38:34 PM »
Rock music is mostly negative too...but here's a reality check....SO WHAT?

bottom line, HIP HOP is not for the SOFT!

even the positive rappers, they talk about real issues, again, not for the SOFT! reality is harsh, reality is negative....hip hop not 4 tha muthafucaz that feel like their ears are being molested when they hear 'fuc tha police'.

man y'all gotta realize...hip hop was made by and for the lower/working class...it's the music of the struggle...middle/high class people became fans and fascinated by it, they have no right to criticize all krayzie...

there are music for every occasion...there's rap music for the clubs, there's shit for tha blocs, yall ever posted on a real 'bloc'? wat do muthafucaz talk about, what do they get into? it's reality and U soft doods just have to accept it...U talkin bout it's negative for tha 'kids'? what kids? u talkin bout little kids? well so what? every damm movie out there is negative for kids, it is not made for them...but most still sneak in or buy and watch em...it works exactly the same way with music...don't gimme that pussy bullshit...it's reality and U soft doods just have to accept that...I can see your point of views, yall sit there on yur computers, and yur adrenaline aint pumping, yur environment is a 4 cornered bedroom and U dun wanna bump no gangsta shit...so U go ahead and bump your concious stuff, your kwelis, your mos defs, your atmospheres, you pissed at some shit? work? school? society? so then u bump your dead prez, your coups etc....I'm exactly tha same way....there's a right place and right time for EVERYTHING in this world...

what is positive anyway? really, think about it....do U even wanna hear that shit? I mean expressing how U feel inside, talkin down upon society etc...dats positive hip hop rite? well...news flash, dats not even positive either when u think about it...not even Ja Rule's love songs are positive...NOTHING is positive...but SO WHAT? the world is not a positive place...positive is a man made word anyway...so positive means nothing....enjoy the music and be you.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 12:22:18 AM »
actually rock is less negative than rap...

on the outside when you see bands like:

AC DC
Metallica
Black Sabbath

you think that they're satanic and promote evil and shit

i  use to for years say "fuck rock, that shit is for white boy satanists....i like rap because it's real" the reality  is rap is the least real music when you compare how much  BS is out there....yeah rap has chuck d, pac, and Mos Def, and such but those artists are few and far between. most of the subject matter in hip hop is the glorification of drugs, violence, and selfishness. the majority of hits and classics that come from rap contain negativity. Alot of songs in other genres promote the same stuff too but no other genre celebrates it as much as hip hop.

now i can put out the same rock artists and name the meaning behind some of their most famous songs and you'd be amazed at the subject matter, it's just as hard as NWA but check the message:

master of puppets-Metallica; an anti drug song
War Pigs-Black Sabbath; Hypocracy of the Government,protest against vietnam
Hells Bells- ACDC; song about Alcaholism

in my opinon you can still be HARD without being deconstructive

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 02:08:46 AM »
Dr. Dre is still making the same music, but Steven Spielberg is still making the same movies, while Stephen King is still writing the same books...Frankly, I don't see a difference...It's all entertainment.

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 04:45:42 AM »
some of y'all are acting real ignorant right now...but i guess that's why y'all like hiphop, right? really, what's the point in listening to an emcee that promote's everything that you would never accept as acceptable? life isn't negative, it's all a person's perspective. and people haven't just realised it or even thought that times are changing, maybe they're just growing...who wants to listen to gangsta shouting profanity forever? what gangsta actually wants to be gangsta forever? hiphop is the most extreme and fake cult in the world. intelligence doesn't automatically equal positivity, you could be a criminal mastermind and brainwash kids for the government...lol

what i'm saying is, i'm sure everyone who agreed actually meant they're sick of the bullshit and want something with substance, point blank.

the bit i made bold.....the fact is does everyone find the same things acceptable?...i dunno about yall but i was raised to be like "fuck the police" an this is before i even was a rap fan....thats jus what its like round here....so when i hear a rapper sayin that im gunna relate cus it fits my mentality....

jus my 2cents...

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 06:56:23 AM »
yeah it's negative....

but i went through a stage similar to that a while ago, and i sold a bunch of my cds. the past few years have been spent trying to find those cds again. for me, hip hop is like a nostalgia. i couldn't stop listening to it even if (and when) i tried. it's a part of my growing up and learning experience. and even if i decide not to listen to any new rap anymore, i'm always gonna think that the stuff that i've always liked is dope, cuz it's a part of me.

it's good to realize that rap is negative, cuz it broadens your horizons to other forms of music....but back to your point, i think we've all felt that one time or another

Doggystylin

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 08:24:09 AM »
I'm glad most of you realize what I'm talking about and see it the same way.

and to those who are arguing against me, let me tell you, all of you have that weak, oh rap is negative? well so are movies? so what? its still negative, its not going be positive just cause movie are bad too.

and if its pussy shit to not want to listen to music that praises all sorts of sin and destruction which what satan bassicly praises, then yeah im with that pussy shit. I might find it entertaining myself, yeah, but you know what the difference between a negative movie and a negative song is? you listen to songs constantly, and way more than you watch a movie, and that negative energy is constantly getting to you and YOU DONT EVEN KNOW IT!