Author Topic: I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music  (Read 1130 times)

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
Re:I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 09:39:27 AM »
^^ no need to preach homie

teecee

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 10:52:16 AM »
I can't speak for others, but i have turned out just fine DESPITE growing up on GANGSTER rap since i was in grade 6-7.  I graduated highschool, i graduated university, i am a teacher, i am engaged, i do not drugs, i dont commit crimes, i dont swear every second word, i have a positive outlook on life, i have a positive self image, i respect women and people of all races.

All of the above despite the fact i constantly listened to NWA, Dre, Snoop, BIggie, Cube, Ren, Eazy, Too Short, WC, etc etc while growing up.  My point, only people who are easily influenced and experienceing other problems in life will be susceptible to the negative messages in hiphop.  Others will just enjoy the way a beat bumps, the way a mc flips his lyrics, the way a chorus is scratched in, etc.

BOttom line, its only entertainment.  And for the first time ever, i agree with NIK: " Dr. Dre is still making the same music, but Steven Spielberg is still making the same movies, while Stephen King is still writing the same books...Frankly, I don't see a difference...It's all entertainment"

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 11:20:34 AM »
I can't speak for others, but i have turned out just fine DESPITE growing up on GANGSTER rap since i was in grade 6-7.  I graduated highschool, i graduated university, i am a teacher, i am engaged, i do not drugs, i dont commit crimes, i dont swear every second word, i have a positive outlook on life, i have a positive self image, i respect women and people of all races.

All of the above despite the fact i constantly listened to NWA, Dre, Snoop, BIggie, Cube, Ren, Eazy, Too Short, WC, etc etc while growing up.  My point, only people who are easily influenced and experienceing other problems in life will be susceptible to the negative messages in hiphop.  Others will just enjoy the way a beat bumps, the way a mc flips his lyrics, the way a chorus is scratched in, etc.

BOttom line, its only entertainment.  And for the first time ever, i agree with NIK: " Dr. Dre is still making the same music, but Steven Spielberg is still making the same movies, while Stephen King is still writing the same books...Frankly, I don't see a difference...It's all entertainment"

bottom line: couldn't have said it better

Neji Huga

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 02:20:04 PM »
I hate to say this but...hip-hop/rap is negative music
LMAO
Man You are right almost. Hip Hop is the culture Rap is the music that explains the culture. If you thinks Gangster's don't cuss everyday. Your wrong. People have to stay true to self. If you want positive Rap listen to different Rappers. Listen to Kanye West, Talib, Mos Def etc. if you want something Different even Outkast they try something new some kids that come from where they come from will not be afraid to try something different. No one wants to hear love songs all day. But if you listen to Rock, R&B Country, & Blues That is most of what you will hear. Love & Love gone wrong songs. That happens to everyone. Getting Harassed by the cops does not happen to everyone. I was getting Harassed by the cops everyday for a while. I would listen to 2PAC, NWA, and Ice Cube everyday just to get by(All old music but still valid). I was not doing anything wrong didn't dress a certain way, didn't break any laws. All they could do is pull me over & detain me for a while then let me go. I can't blame some people for not giving up the Fuck the Police mentality. Shit hasn't changed it is just getting covered up. http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/voting/intro/intro_b.htm It ain't all good. So don't fool your self. It has pretty much always been negative. Why do you think Negativity sells more. People what something they can relate too. If not then their will be some riots in a minute. 8)
My Train of Thought

"I Got 99 Problems. But, a Bitch ain't one...."

Doggystylin

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 02:38:57 PM »
none of you really have a strong arument against mine

JT said dont preach

teecee said it hasnt effected him, well guess what man, not everyone in the world is like you, and ill be it HAS effected you in ways you can not tell. The energy in the songs can build up anger, frustration and many other negative engergies when the rappers are sending that type of vibe out to the listener. Well you, ok you might be able to handle those energies because you are in control, but so many other people are not and rappers just ignorantly send out these messages. I mean you can talk about your hood and what goes on, but dont glorify carrying guns and selling cocaine while you fuck a bitch without a condom and then down a 40 and drive with a blunt in your mouth. Ok maybe one or two songs because its entertaining but not on every song on every album

I bet many other artists in the music industry drink alcohol, have sex and smoke weed too, but they dont promote it on every damn song, with rappers its almost a guarantee you will hear references like that in a song. damn man, 1. its not healthy, 2. its really dull and getting old, infact it got old in the late nineties.

and then Neji Huga, well i dont see how you are justifying rap's negativity, your saying it sells more? well of course it does, but it is destroying people from the inside. what im saying is that negativity is glorified and its wrong, rappers might as well promote rape and drunk driving too. Of course guys will like it when girls are getting slutty and giving it up, but think of the future and how it can effect your kids. Stop being ignorant and think about it before you all reply, im not saying agree with me, but i think you should think about what im saying atleast.

Doggystylin

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 02:41:29 PM »
some of y'all are acting real ignorant right now...but i guess that's why y'all like hiphop, right? really, what's the point in listening to an emcee that promote's everything that you would never accept as acceptable? life isn't negative, it's all a person's perspective. and people haven't just realised it or even thought that times are changing, maybe they're just growing...who wants to listen to gangsta shouting profanity forever? what gangsta actually wants to be gangsta forever? hiphop is the most extreme and fake cult in the world. intelligence doesn't automatically equal positivity, you could be a criminal mastermind and brainwash kids for the government...lol

what i'm saying is, i'm sure everyone who agreed actually meant they're sick of the bullshit and want something with substance, point blank.

Oh yeah and everyone, READ THIS AGAIN!, that bassicly kills anything anyone has said and will say in this thread. props man

Smooth

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2004, 02:55:20 PM »

Im feelin that right there... the lyrics and shit fron rap, will only get to you or change you, if your weak minded... ain't none of them forcing you to do anything... it's entertainment, straight up...
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

teecee

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2004, 02:57:35 PM »
Doggy, i respect what you are trying to say, and it sucks that hiphop has negatiely impacted you.  As for hiphop, it is still a relatively new type of music and i am willing to bet it will grow a lot more and become more well-rounded.  If you dont like the negative music though, i would suggest listening to other artists or another music genre.  And yo, negativity is always gonna be around us, you just gotta get your head right to the point where it doesnt effect you, ya feel me?  As for preaching to others, i think most of us are smart enough to realize hiphop has negative messages.  

I teach students who think eminem or 50 cent are gods, and i actually have discussions with then outside of the classroom to let them know these guys arent good role models....i dont think it is bad for young people to listen to rap, i just think they have a parent explain to them this isnt to be taken to serious.

And i have never cared which rappers are the "realest", cuz if any of these rappers arae actually still gangsters than they have fucking problems.  Thats why i respect DRE, he is not even close to a gangster in real life, he just makes gangster music.  Whether you like it or not, it is the same thing as what a Stephen King does.  

What drew me to hiphop in the first place was the "gangster" attitude.  Since then, i have aquired more well-rounded tastes in regards to rap, and artists like Talib and Last Emperor stay in my rotation as much as Dre or Snoop...peace man, and take it easy

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2004, 03:40:04 PM »
U still haven't answered my question....

SO WHAT?

cmon doggy, U and I kno U go thru phases....U go thru more phases than anyone I have ever known and U will come outta this one sooner or later....are U tellin me yur never going to listen 2 yur favorite group anymore because they're always rappin bout "murder"? Or are U just simply informing us that rap is negative.

mark my words....ANYTHING in this world CAN be negative, depends on that individual, little kids, they might listen 2 rap and get influenced but that can happen wit religion or anything else to that matter....There's no possible way U can argue against that....and i'm not justifying anything....

Mouse over here stressing bout how hip hop is a fake cult....now wat tha fuc does that mean? do U even know tha essense of hip hop? maybe hip hop just isn't for U because U was brought up in a different environment....how can U say something like this and be on this forum? dats what's ignorant to me....

Like I said, there's music for EVERY occasion....U don't have to constantly bump gangsta shit, wat kinda bullshit is this?....if it ain't for U, then it ain't for U....DON'T bump it....there needs to be more substance? dats true....but there is MORE substance in rap than EVER before rite now....go find em....jesus, y'all actin ignorant as fuc....

SO WHAT? SO WHAT? SO WHAT?

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Neji Huga

• 'G'
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2004, 04:17:25 PM »
and then Neji Huga, well i dont see how you are justifying rap's negativity, your saying it sells more? well of course it does, but it is destroying people from the inside. what im saying is that negativity is glorified and its wrong, rappers might as well promote rape and drunk driving too. Of course guys will like it when girls are getting slutty and giving it up, but think of the future and how it can effect your kids. Stop being ignorant and think about it before you all reply, im not saying agree with me, but i think you should think about what im saying atleast.

You need to read your own words! What I said was "Rap is explaining the Culture". If a lot of things are negative. Then Rap will be negative. Like it was in the Late 80's & early 90's. It's getting more negative because The culture is getting more negative. Like I stated "it ain't all good". The Link was about Black people losing their right to vote in 2007. I don't see how you can say "it is destroying people from the inside." People talking about the choices they would make, is not  glorifying negativity. It's letting people know that sometimes people, have the same frame of mind in a Certain situations. btw Eminem rapped about Rape on his first CD. "Susan, stop cryin, I don't hate ya, The world's not against you, I'm sorry your father raped you, So what you had your little coochie in your dad's mouth? That ain't no reason to start wiggin and spaz out..." My Fault - Track 11. My Point is The overall theme of the Ghetto is negative. Anytime someone says "Ghetto" no one's thought is positive. If you music comes from the ghetto the only a few songs will be positive and the majority will be negative.
My Train of Thought

"I Got 99 Problems. But, a Bitch ain't one...."

Doggystylin

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2004, 05:22:11 PM »
ok, first of all i wanna thank everyone for keeping this conversation respectable

ok, first to teecee, yes rap is entertainment and i agree that people should be resposible, but so many young people that dont have a parent out there look up to these people as idols, I don't know about any of you but when i was 13, I sure as hell wanted to be like snoop and i think that rappers should take these things into consideration, because when you have as much power as someone who is reaching out to so many people, why doest the ARTIST HIMSELF, let the kids know, hey you know this is just entertainment. I'm tired of 50 brag about gettin shot like its a good thing, thats what i hate about rappers, you say they dont glorify negativity, but just listen to their music man. but then you have your entertainment arugment which is a strong argument, but i just dont like the vibes they give out to people. i mean a lot of people just dont understand the energy system, and how you can give bad energy to someone.

I'm not saying im never going to listen to hip hop again, I NEVER said that, I'm just noting, hip hop is negative, and it can really effect you if you listen to it too much, let it be entertainment and nothing else, so many people look at songs and albums as guidebooks, its crazy.

Will i listen to hip-hop less? yeah, i probably will. because to be honest, i dont see much growth in hip hop, i see so much negativity and repetition and its just real dull and redundant, so ill probably check out that hot creative album that gets released every once in a while, while i expand my horizons and listen to other types of music instead of listening to hiphop all the time.

Now neija huga, rap from the ghetto DOES NOT have to be negative, nothing HAS to be negative,almost everything can be flipped and turned into something positive, but that is not the case, i dont mind rappers explaining their environment, but once a rapper is rich and living in the suburbs i really doubt their environment is still so negative, rappers just have that negative mentality.

Rap, CAN be positive music, it has been proven, but it is not, so aslong as you accept all the heat rap is getting with no problem, then ok, but dont think that rappers are victimised, because they bring it upon themselves.

infinite59

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2004, 06:04:56 PM »
I'll reply more on this in a minute, but you must know that almost all entertainment in this country relays a negetive message.  We are living in a country of unbelief, anything for a dollar.  Sex, violence, and sensationalism sells.  It's even on your 5 oclock news, murder, rape, fear.  They are selling the product of fear on your 10 oclock news!  So don't single out hip-hop!  Atleast rappers try to be honest with themselves.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 07:49:04 PM by Hajj Ibrahim Islam »

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2004, 06:25:47 PM »
^thank you.

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Doggystylin

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2004, 06:59:30 PM »
lol for what^

Infinite said nothing new or anything that defends hip-hop. He said atleast hip hop is honest, ummm, thats laughable. Since when is hip hop honest, hip hop is filled with fairy tales about the hood. Of course there is truth in some hip-hop but then again there is some truth in movies and all other forms of entertainment. Rappers aren't even honest with themselves, with every rapper out there claiming their greater than others and trying to prove their gangsta. I've seen about a handfull of artists be honest with themselves. One of them is Kanye West who admits hes self-conscious and an asshole, but when have you seen Dre admit he has a big ego, infact he made a song about others having big ego's LMAO, again, very laughable comment. Next please.......

infinite59

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 08:01:24 PM »
lol for what^

Infinite said nothing new or anything that defends hip-hop. He said atleast hip hop is honest, ummm, thats laughable. Since when is hip hop honest, hip hop is filled with fairy tales about the hood. Of course there is truth in some hip-hop but then again there is some truth in movies and all other forms of entertainment. Rappers aren't even honest with themselves, with every rapper out there claiming their greater than others and trying to prove their gangsta. I've seen about a handfull of artists be honest with themselves. One of them is Kanye West who admits hes self-conscious and an asshole, but when have you seen Dre admit he has a big ego, infact he made a song about others having big ego's LMAO, again, very laughable comment. Next please.......

The meat of my argument is that hip-hop is negetive just like almost all entertainment in America is negetive.  Argue that point.  And what I meant about rappers being honest with themselves is that they will tell you from the get go that they don't "give a fuck".  That they are saying whatever the fuck they want and that they are just talkin shit.  Most rappers admit that they are all about money and hoes.  They will tell you that.  It's different when a news reporter gets on CNN and wears a suit and tie and promotes and claims to represent moral good to the world.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 08:02:11 PM by Hajj Ibrahim Islam »