Author Topic: americans complaining about petrol (gas to u americans) prices rising  (Read 402 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:americans complaining about petrol (gas to u americans) prices rising
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 09:09:09 AM »
Well; gas may be the dumbed down term; but you're paying 3 times more than us idiots for the same product with a different name.  
its all in tax >:( the truckers actually blocked all our ports a about 3 years ago because they had had enough, it lasted for about 2 weeks and most of the petrol stations ran out of petrol, wat petrol was left was reserved for emergency services. but it had little effect our petrol is still high. the french also did the same but their governement gave in and slashed taxes.

If you had more oil would you have to worry about taxes?

we have plenty of oil actually, we got north sea oil plus we get it from all over the world too

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 01:30:36 PM »
The reason we Americans are making such a big deal about gas is that we are more dependent on it. England is just a small little country compared to how large and expansive the US is. You guys don't travel far to your destinations and have really good mass transit systems. Most Americans live in suburbs and have to drive a great distance to their jobs and so gas ends up being very costly. No one in America rides buses and only New York has a subway system.

Doggystylin

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004, 02:19:47 PM »
Exactly^ yup, i actually agree with c walker, whats happened?

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2004, 03:58:58 AM »
The reason we Americans are making such a big deal about gas is that we are more dependent on it. England is just a small little country compared to how large and expansive the US is. You guys don't travel far to your destinations and have really good mass transit systems. Most Americans live in suburbs and have to drive a great distance to their jobs and so gas ends up being very costly. No one in America rides buses and only New York has a subway system.

i live in a village that has 2 buses a day, public transport is shit and its expensive for example if want to get a 1 way ticket from my uni house to my family home on the train it will cost me £35 if i drive it will cost me £12-15. in the cities public transport is alot better than else where but its unreliable and most ppl r put off using them and just use cars instead, in general terms the ppl who use buses are those on benefit/make minimum wage and the elderly.

we maybe smaller doesn't mean we don't need to travel, plus we have huge conjestion problems, the m25 which is the motorway which circles london gets jamed for almost all daylight hours. which alot of ppl use to get into london for their jobs, my dad has to leave at 6.30am to avoid the main rush hour traffic but it still takes him about 40 minutes and he is at work about 1 and a half hours early because of this.

we have to pay shit loads for the privilage of our cars for the fact they are more expensive to buy here than most other places, we pay car tax each year costing between about £120-£180 depending on engine size, insurance is astronomically expensive my first car was a 10 year old pugeot 205 with 1.4 engine it cost the best part of £1700 (3 times the amount i paid for the car) to insure on a 3rd party only policy, currently i have a 1.5 on 3rd party fire n theft which i am gettin a very good rate for cos insurance company fucked up (but can't be arsed to explain) anyway it costs £800 for this year. having high travel costs is a huge burden for british firms trying to keep costs down and stay competetive in an international market.

i do not accept your argument at all, its just the greedy attitude americans are notorious for

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

heyyou

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2004, 05:47:42 AM »
What's up don rizzle, how come your insurance is so high? How old are you?
Do you have any points on your licence, any previous claims etc?

I'm 23 and drive a 2000 x-reg peugeot 406 coupe (2.0 litre). Insurance cost me £865 fully comp. (I live in london). This is with elephant.co.uk, however:

Although this is my first car (insurance is also under my name), I've been driving for about 5 yrs (insured as a second driver on my dads car),
I have no driving penalty points, no previous claims,
I park the car on the driveway overnight, but worst of all, i'm only allowed to drive a maximum of 2000 miles a year, social and domestic no commutting(although I walk to work).

You should shop around and check your insurance conditions, try to park your car in a garage or driveway, check you annual mileage, is it unneccessarily high, eg 10,000 miles when you only do 6,000 miles etc

heyyou

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2004, 05:50:56 AM »
Oh, i also forgot, I have 0 yrs no claims discount since this is my first car insured under my name, so that means I'll get my first years no claims discount this year (touch wood i'll don't right off my car).

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2004, 06:31:35 AM »
i have a honda civic 1.5 LSI, i am 20 have been driving for 3 years although directline have given me 4 years no claims bonus (their first fuck up, when i first went with them they asked for my no claims bonus proof so i sent it n they took it off again!), and i didn't actually pay my premium this year lol for some reason they fucked it up, norwich union direct were actually gonna be cheaper but i left it a bit late and direct line said they would automatically renew my policy unless i said otherwise and they think i paid for this year when i didn't which is lucky cos i can't afford it! i'm £1200 over drawn rite now, i can't wait for my student loan check to come thru. plus i was involved in an minor accident the month b4 i renewed which directline knew about but didn't take into consideration when calculating my premium because it hasn't been finalised, i'm sure other insurance firms would have bumped up my premium if i told them.

reason why insurance is high for some reason they charge my postcode more even tho there is virtually no crime in my area unlike when i have insured on my bournemouth address where there is alot more crime but it cheaper for me to insure where is the logic in that its outrageous if u ask me.

its insured as on my drive

i am male

i am young

i have 3 points for speeding

i do about 8k a year
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 06:34:04 AM by Don Rizzle »

Trauma-san

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2004, 07:46:06 AM »

I'm not going to let you get away with that.

First off, just because everyone's paying more in another country, doesn't mean we have to RAISE what we pay in this country! We're not Global Economists, we could give a FUCK what you pay for it in England.  Our prices have nearly DOUBLED in just a few years.  When I was in High School, the price per gallon down the street from me, was no shit, 89 cents.  Now it's up to 169 at most places in the Carolinas, even higher in most other states.

Do you think I should pay the same prices for everything that folks in another country pay, or should I pay what MY economy has traditionally deemed an item worth? Of fucking COURSE I should pay what's the correct amount around here.  Who gives a fuck what you pay in England?  

I guess you're proposing CD prices ought to rise to the rediculous amounts yall pay, just because they're cheaper over here.  Get the fuck out of here.  

heyyou

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2004, 08:16:04 AM »
^^^

Hi, I don't think he meant that the price of everything should rise because everything here is more expensive, just petrol (or gas), because like most fossil fuels it's going to run out in the near(ish) future.

If the tax on petrol was increased, then maybe people may think twice using their cars.

CWalker is right, American and most developed countries especially the west has become too dependable on petroleum.

It's difficult and I don't have the answers but we are gonna have to think about soon. When oil reserves completely run dry, then what are we gonna do, it's scary thinking about it.

Traveling, deliveries, oil based products will be affected.

Will society as we know it collapse when the fossil fuel run out completely?

Don Seer

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2004, 10:33:56 AM »
its true how dependent we are. when they had that strike don rizzle mentioned before it totally fucked up stuff here for a while.

man.. terrorists just need to bomb the fuel depots.. theres only a few.. it'd fuck a country up bad for a bit.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2004, 11:24:18 AM »
No one in America rides buses and only New York has a subway system.

Tha bay got a transit system too....and more people than EVER ride buses now....buses are dangerous as fuc in cities....at least in cali...shit's always poppin off....

1.69 in carolina? try 2.10 in cali....fucin LAME....what was tha war for again?

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2004, 12:11:11 PM »
lol at bonnet

Don Seer

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2004, 01:54:40 PM »
actually in engineering any "metal lid/flap over an engine" is called a bonnet.

only americans call it a 'hood' for cars..

plus both hoods and bonnets go on ya head, lol

car insurance is fucked up over here...

compare to ka rizzle...

when i last renewed i was 27, i hadnt been driving 2 years so was still in my 2 year probation, but i did have 2 years no claims.

i have no points for speeding,  i have a 'performance' group 16 insurance car 2.0 litre / 150 bhp.

road tax is £165 a year (big engine..), insurance for me fully comp is about £720..
i said i do average mileage which they count as up to 10/12k a year which i think is about right.

cwalker amde a good point about our commuting, that and the fact that it is expensive to run a car are reasons why i didnt learn to drive till 25..

thing is.. weather isnt so good here. found that when i broke my car up the other week (oops... lol) that its lethal now compared to when i used to cycle, even using the cycle lanes... (which dont have good enough routes..)

btw dunno why trauma is getting all upset.. we're sayin our prices should come down to match yours... thats fair right? ;)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 01:57:52 PM by Overseer »

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2004, 03:06:41 PM »
Bostons got a big subway system mayne..Where'd ya git ya info from?

Prices are weird why they fluctuate..There is no reason why gas prices should be so much.

You gotta be rich to have a nice house in the tri-state, boston area. There are alot of lower class people around here simply because the price of living is nuts up here. You can go to Florida and buy a brand new mansion for 300,000$...Up here you can buy a 30 year old small ass house for 300,000$...Here is a perfect example on how expensive it is in the east. You could NEVER get a house up here for 100,000$...A double wide Trailor costs 175,000$ up here when in florida it costs 40,000..Its fucked.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 03:15:49 PM by Craiga »

Trauma-san

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2004, 03:41:17 PM »
its true how dependent we are. when they had that strike don rizzle mentioned before it totally fucked up stuff here for a while.

man.. terrorists just need to bomb the fuel depots.. theres only a few.. it'd fuck a country up bad for a bit.

Yup.  I think the only reason they did the world trade center was because it was more of a symbol and a there was more of a dramatic visual effect.  They should go after things like fuel companies and things next if they want to get something accomplished.