Author Topic: The borrower is slave to the Lender  (Read 390 times)

Trauma-san

The borrower is slave to the Lender
« on: April 11, 2004, 08:53:43 PM »
How many of you have caught this concept? It's in the bible; "The Borrower is Slave to the Lender".

I'm never, ever, ever going to borrow money to buy something again.  When I was in High School, I borrowed money from my dad to buy a car.  When I was in College, I borrowed money on credit cards to just fuck off and do whatever I wanted.  Years later, I ended up owing 16 thousand dollars in College Loans for a degree I don't even need to use, and 12,000 dollars in Credit Card bills, with not 1 thing to show for it.  

Today, I have it knocked down to the college loan and 1 credit card, and I hope to pay the credit card off in about a year.  I'm never, ever borrowing money again (with the exception of a house).  It's great not having any payments.  I feel free.  

People that have 4 or 500 dollar car payments are fucking crazy.  You're a slave.  You don't even own the car, the bank does, you're just paying them 500 a month to ride in the fucking thing.  Rent a cab, it'd be cheaper.  

It just shames me to see so many Americans making the mistake of borrowing money.  Consumer debt is up to an alltime high, like it is each and every year; higher, higher, higher.  Drop that shit and own what you have.  The only way a bank makes money is on YOUR money.  Make money on your own money, dont' let somebody else have it.  

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re:The borrower is slave to the Lender
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 11:16:24 AM »
I feel ya.

I am at 32,000 for college loans, and 3,000 for credit cards. My car is still being paid for, and it's hard starting off when you are in debt. When the Great Depression hit, the main cause was everyone borrowing money, and not being able to pay it off. Borrowing money is a very dangerous thing, and should always be done responsibly. Once I get my full time job, I should be straight, but the Lord knows it's a long road ahead.

smerlus

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 11:34:57 AM »
i can't complain about credit cards...i found one that i loved and i stick with it...

it's a credit card availavle to Navy personel, $5000 limit and a minimum of $1 payment a month, and as long as that $1 is paid, there's no interest  8)

plus with financial aid and the GI Bill, i don't ever have to pay for college, in fact i get extra money in my pocket for going to college...

but you do have a good point, i never go on a payment plan for anything...if i don't have the money for it right there, then i can't afford it

Loganism

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 02:40:30 PM »
How many of you have caught this concept? It's in the bible; "The Borrower is Slave to the Lender".

I'm never, ever, ever going to borrow money to buy something again.  When I was in High School, I borrowed money from my dad to buy a car.  When I was in College, I borrowed money on credit cards to just fuck off and do whatever I wanted.  Years later, I ended up owing 16 thousand dollars in College Loans for a degree I don't even need to use, and 12,000 dollars in Credit Card bills, with not 1 thing to show for it.  

Today, I have it knocked down to the college loan and 1 credit card, and I hope to pay the credit card off in about a year.  I'm never, ever borrowing money again (with the exception of a house).  It's great not having any payments.  I feel free.  

People that have 4 or 500 dollar car payments are fucking crazy.  You're a slave.  You don't even own the car, the bank does, you're just paying them 500 a month to ride in the fucking thing.  Rent a cab, it'd be cheaper.  

It just shames me to see so many Americans making the mistake of borrowing money.  Consumer debt is up to an alltime high, like it is each and every year; higher, higher, higher.  Drop that shit and own what you have.  The only way a bank makes money is on YOUR money.  Make money on your own money, dont' let somebody else have it.  

you're right, but that's how our capitalistic society works. go to sweden.

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 09:27:49 PM »
NO, that is NOT how our capitalistic society works.  That is how people choose to use, our capitalistic society.  As a matter of fact, if you live in this capitalistic society without incurring debt, you have the opportunity to earn a SHITLOAD of money.  When you're in debt, though, the SHITLOAD of money is what you're throwing away each month in interest fees.

That Navy Card sounds like a good deal, Smerlus.  Just be sure not to let the temptation lead you into buying shit you don't need or can't afford.

I saw this guy on fuckin' MTV the other day, on Punk'd.  They were trying to act like he stole some money, or whatever, and he made the comment about how he bought his car "My Daddy always said, if you can finance it, you can afford it".

I felt like jumping through time and smacking his daddy in the fucking mouth.  

JTSimon

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 09:31:31 PM »
lol you guys are weak  ;D

infinite59

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 11:04:43 PM »
In Islam, borrowing money is strongly disliked, allowed but disliked, and charging interest is sin.  The only time the Prophet Muhammad (saws) adviced the Muslims to borrow money is if one is too poor to get married.  

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 07:37:03 AM »
Very true.. Have said this before, but I never borrow money.

I have one credit card and one debit card.   I pay my credit card bill off in full every month. I use it for convenience rather than as 'credit'.. I have the money..  See.. I pay for little things on either, coz it really doesn't matter.. depending how money is going i use the credit or the debit.. all a credit card is to me is a debit card with a 1 month time delay :)

an example.. a few weeks ago my car broke.. i had to pay out roughly two payments of $400 each for that.
1 went on debit, so it came right out, the other went on credit, i'll pay that in a month..
it ends up that my monthly bill is always about the same anyways because I spread the load as best as possible.

or maybe i'll wait to buy something until it would come out of the next months credit..

I figure the 'real' credit is there for if I * really * need it then.. but i've never had to yet.

I also have a chunk of 'security' cash saved... I get a bonus.. where does it go? right on that pile..  unless i've been saving for something.. i want something?.. i just go get it :)

i look at some of my friends and i think its stupid how all they do every month is piss their money up the wall (basically spend it all on drink..)  run out of money 2 weeks into the month, end up borrowing, and eventually end up with nothing.. then moan about being broke for the last 2 weeks.. the debts they ran up they have to pay when they get paid, and they're back to square one... round and round they go and they dont learn.. lifes about progression right? how u gonna progress if you aint moving forwards?

the thing about being 'free' is so true... i have minimal bills each month, because all i have is running living costs. and you know whats crazy, being 'free' means you can save faster..

if it came to it if i lost or quit my job, and live my life as is with just my minimal bills and cut back to virtually no extras i could manage easily for over 6 months while looking for something else, or just chilling.. thats pretty free..

they keep freaking about consumer debt being at an all time high here too.

plus... how stupid is it to borrow.. you end up paying a lot more for the same thing!.. Duh!!

"the borrower is slave to the lender" (Proverbs 22:7)

:)

btw.. haven't you heard.. the rich people are the ones careful with their money ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 08:22:40 AM by Overseer »

JTSimon

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 08:25:58 AM »

I have one credit card and one debit card.   I pay my credit card bill off in full every month. I use it for convenience rather than as 'credit'.. I have the money..  See.. I pay for little things on either, coz it really doesn't matter.. depending how money is going i use the credit or the debit.. all a credit card is to me is a debit card with a 1 month time delay :)

Well how are you going to build up your credit with 1 card.

I have no debit card but I have 4 credit cards (2 MasterCard/1 Visa/1 Discover)
Yeah I aslo pay off bills every month...lol they probably hate me cause they're not making money off me  ;D

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 08:38:09 AM »
build up credit for what?   i dont need it..  

i have 5k ($10k) credit on that one card...  so... ?

yes i know your credit rating is better the more in debt you are (as longs you dont fall behind) but thats the trap!

if i *need* to borrow, then i will.. i dont, so i wont..

?

JTSimon

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 09:09:50 AM »
build up credit for what?   i dont need it..  

i have 5k ($10k) credit on that one card...  so... ?

yes i know your credit rating is better the more in debt you are (as longs you dont fall behind) but thats the trap!

if i *need* to borrow, then i will.. i dont, so i wont..

?

No credit/bad credit good luck buying a house  ;)

Don Seer

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 09:17:00 AM »
stupid though isnt it?

JTSimon

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 09:29:23 AM »
stupid though isnt it?

If I ran a Real Estate company I wouldn't sell a house to some1 off the street ;D

lol you know a late credit card payments stay on your credit report for 7 years minimum  ;D

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 09:57:57 AM »
but in reality i have a perfect payment record for 5 years for my credit card... sux huh

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 07:49:32 PM »

Well how are you going to build up your credit with 1 card.

I have no debit card but I have 4 credit cards (2 MasterCard/1 Visa/1 Discover)
Yeah I aslo pay off bills every month...lol they probably hate me cause they're not making money off me  ;D

It's a MYTH that you 'need' to 'build up' your credit.  Don't listen to that shit.