Author Topic: Scarface- The Fix  (Read 1348 times)

teecee

Scarface- The Fix
« on: July 17, 2002, 10:11:57 AM »
First of all, i am amazed how short this album is; it is nice to see an album with NO filler.  I dig the intro and outro, reminds me of the ones on The Diary (although not as good).  
  I have heard a lot of people are pissed at this album because of the eastcoast style beats and excessive female singers.  Some longtime Face fans are said to be disappointed....Its hard to believe now, but when The Diary first came, some peeps then were pissed because Scarface experimented a lot on that album also.....True, about half the beats on here are some Kanya West type tracks, but Scarface still has his shit on there too....Myself, i didn't really feel the single My BLock, and i still don't (lyrically, it is too easy and simple for Scarface)...anyway, here's a track by track review for those who are sleepin....

1. Fix intro
2. Safe- this is some real hardcore Scarface shit right here, seems like a Mike Dean production, but its gotta be Kanya or someone cuz of the vocal sample.  Scarface comes hard on this one nonetheless.........4/5

3. In Cold Blood- another nice beat, it seems like Scarface's flow is always dope, maybe even improving!  4.5/5

4. Guess Who's Back- ft. Beanie and Jay-Z, everyone has prolly heard this track.  Personally, i love this song, and i hated it at first....maybe cuz i am sick of THe ROC!  Oh well,  a nice overall song, Scarface outshines both of them, as he does whenever someone is on a track with him... 4.5/5

5. My Block- a catchy piano sample, hard to get out of my head.  Still, this song seems too simple for Scarface....i guess it is good for a single but it is one of the weakest on this album.                3.5/5

6. Keep Me Down- WHOA!  This one right here evokes memories of some oldschool Face, simple beat but dopeass song!           4/5

7. What Can i Do (ft. Kelly Price)- not used to people like Kelly Price and Faith evans on a Scarface album, and admittedly the thought of these collaborations pissed me the hell off!  Well, i think this is actually the best song on the whole damn album......maybe Scarface's deepest and most heartfelt song since I Seen a Man Die.  I could do without the Kelly Price hook, but it does actually fit the song.  Only Scarface can out this much real emotion into a track and not sound fake (like Jay z's horribly contrived Song Cry).  this song has to be a 5/5

8. In Between us- another song with a female singer, but it also has dopeness from Nas!  The beat is wicked, and Nas rips it; they make a good team!  But when this chick starts singing, it sounds BAD (especially at first), and she sings for a whole damn minute, maybe more.... then another minute at the end.  Still, this song has one of the nicest beats on the album and dope verses from Face and Nas.  4/5

9. Someday (ft. Faith Evans)- Scarface's flow is crazy on this one....he raps even slower than normal, and his voice is lacking the edge it normally has.  Sounds bad right?  No, he actually sounds incredible on this song.  Some different shit for Scarface right here...    4/5

10.  Sellout- THank god, back to some hardcore shit after three softer songs in a row.  THis has to be a Mike Dean/No Joe production.....just some tight raps....nothing mindblowing
         4/5
11. Heaven (ft Kelly Price)- ya, it looks bad that four out of the last five tracks have female singers on them, but honestly they are all very nice tracks.  Scarface once again comes very deep on this tracks, as he has always been very religious.  4.5/5

12. I Ain't the One- two old school rappers who have never collaborated but prolly are because they both on Def Jam.  THis song has a simple, yet addictive beat.  Haven't heard WC rap this slow in a while, he sounds dope as ever though.
      4/5
13. fix outro

Well, not a bad song at all on the album.  Definitely a little too much R&B at the end, but fortunately Scarface brings some of best raps for those songs......It is refreshing to see an album solid from front to back (last album like this for me was the ill-fated ROTR), and i think Scarface is gonna sell mad units while keeping his position as perhaps the most respected rapper in the game.      

4.5/5   (and i am not someone who just hands out mics like a lot of people, Scarface earned that rating)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Jome

Re: Scarface- The Fix
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 04:31:47 PM »

(and i am not someone who just hands out mics like a lot of people, Scarface earned that rating)

Yo WTF you suggesting?

Nah, just playing. Good review.
I haven't got the chance to peep it yet.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 09:03:32 PM »
Best album of the year!

Jome

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 02:00:33 AM »
Best album of the year!

He says even without having heard it  ::) ;)
Man vs. Machine will be the best :D

teecee

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 05:12:36 AM »
I think this may be the best album of the year so far, and there is a good chacne nothing will top it.  Even the Neptunes joint "Someday" is quality, as it does not have the usual ignorant sounding Neptunes beat.  Scarface offers lyrics (deep, not necessarily mond blowing) that noone else can, and this album is tight front to back.  

As for Xzibit, it is hard to say how good his album will  be.  I mean, Multiply and the song with Snoop and Dre are hardly anything special.  Two ordinary Dre beats; i was hoping Dre would have something a little different for Xzibit's album.  Dre's last great beat was Family Affair, and that is awhile ago.  And i think it was  adumb move to have Nate DOgg on the first single cuz EVERYBODY has Nate for the first single nowadays....i was hoping for a little more originality.   Oh well, i am sure the rest of the album will be as good as Xzibit says, and hopefully one of the best of the year......

teecee

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2002, 05:15:43 AM »
Oh ya, Jome, i wasn't implying anything towards you about everyone giving out high ratings.....people should just realize that not every cd that comes out is near classic, or 5/5, and that is fine.  Most  cds have about 5 good songs nowadays, and that is fine.....that is also why i rarely buy albums, i just download.  Now, when an album like last years Masta Ace, or this Scarface album drops, then i go and buy the cd......

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2002, 08:08:46 PM »
1. The Fix
2. Safe - 4.5/5
3. In Cold Blood - 4.5/5
4. Guess Who's Back - 4.5/5
5. On My Block - 4/5
6. Keep Me Down - 4/5
7. What Can I Do - 5/5
8. In Between Us - 4.5/5
9. Someday - 4/5
10. Sellout - 4/5
11. Heaven - 4/5
12. I Ain't The One - 4/5
13. Fixed

I am very pleased with this album. The feel of the album is totally different from Face's older albums due to the production but the subject matter is still introspective and dark. A lot of older Face fans are mad because the album sounds too "East Coast" but I am glad he tried a different style because change is good if done right and Face did it right. The R&B guest appearances are used well because they sing soulful hooks rather than some watered down R&B bullshit which adds to the songs rather than taking away from anything. Definitely my favorite album of the year so far.

Overall: 4.5/5

themovie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2002, 10:30:33 PM »
I luv xzibit's music but i think FIX will be better than Man vs machine.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2002, 02:31:18 AM »

I am very pleased with this album. The feel of the album is totally different from Face's older albums due to the production but the subject matter is still introspective and dark. A lot of older Face fans are mad because the album sounds too "East Coast" but I am glad he tried a different style because change is good if done right and Face did it right. The R&B guest appearances are used well because they sing soulful hooks rather than some watered down R&B bullshit which adds to the songs rather than taking away from anything. Definitely my favorite album of the year so far.

I 100% agree. Although, it did take me a few good listens to appreciate the songs with R&B guest spots, but now I can listen to it without even thinking of skipping a song.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Sikotic™

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2002, 09:22:48 AM »
Peep my review of The Fix up on my site.

http://members.tripod.com/sikotic187/id80.htm

One of the best to come out this year
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2002, 06:11:40 PM »
No doubt, I absolutely was in amazement at this album at first :o :o :o

In my opinion, this is his second best album, 1st being the Diary

That_Cracka_J

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2002, 06:31:21 PM »
I totally agree...it's his second best album next to Diary and the second best album of the year.  I love the production on the album (who says they sound east coast?) and Face spits his lyrics with so much emotion.  I agree with the 4.5/5 rating.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2002, 01:33:59 PM »
Change my rating of "In Between Us" to 5/5. That song is my favorite track of the year. Nas and Face are two of my favorite lyricists right now and I'm glad they made another ill collab.

Sikotic™

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2002, 10:13:36 PM »
This is better than The Diary in my opinion. Well it is a tie at least.

I dont get how you can say Tanya Herron sings bad on In Between Us. It's just a lil different sounding than the average run of the mill R&B singer.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Plumma25

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2002, 02:16:06 AM »
Nice review homie, but I do have 2 disagree with you on one thing you said.You said, "Scarface outshines both of them, as he does whenever someone is on a track with him... "  But as everyone in the whole world knows Smile he was outshined by the greatest of all time, Mr. Shakur.  But overall it was a good review, made me go out and buy the album.
if you're girl has a leak tell her 2 call tha mothafuckin' Plumma named Pete, thats me.