Author Topic: Funkdoobiest- Brothas Doobie  (Read 1100 times)

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Funkdoobiest- Brothas Doobie
« on: August 04, 2002, 09:45:38 AM »
Released in 1995, i basically slept on these dudes till i got into house of pain and cypress hill and i noticed these guys come up now and again...so i picked up the album and...

1. This Is It (Interlude)- basically an instrumental which is nice and funky to open the cd...you really get that cypress/pain sound or vibe from back in the day. Only an intro so i won't rate it.

2. Rock On- right away i'm feelin the beat and the lyrics are tight and on point. a nice bassline which compliments the track and sets a nice tempo for a real impressive start...4/5.

3. What The Deal- they definately live up to their name of funky, here another track that you can groove to. something to smoke too as a matter of fact. i'm feelin the vibe that they are sending across, basically making their own style and you can come to expect the same type of shit. the lyrics and the chorus is easy to sing along to "on the real the real, what the deal/for my bothers, who live and die on the corner". all together an impressive track, 4/5.

4. Lost In Thought- by far the best song on the cd, the bassline and beat grab you by the neck from the moment they kick in, and tight/fun lyrics like this you can't go wrong..."inhale my doobie, ain't it kind of groovy/you'll be shining like a ruby, it ain't nothin to me/"...it just captivated me and made me want to press repeat 3 or 4 times before i moved on to the next track, 4.5/5.

5. Dedicated- a street dedication which goes more in depth than just saying "this is for the bitches and homies", they speak about all the peeps they lost as well on the chorus. the beat and bassline and track altogether is well put together and compliments their style nicely, 4/5.

6. Ka Sera Sera- the beat is faster than what i've gotten use to but it's a nice change. the track doesn't stand out among all the other gems so far but it's above average and better than most the shit you hear today anyway, 3/5.

7. Pussy Ain't Shit- it's almost like a time-out from the more serious stuff that they've been speaking on so far. when they say pussy ain't shit they mean it literally "pussy ain't shit but lips and clits". he goes so indepth of the womens reproductive system it's almost hard to believe. you really have to hear this, but it's not something you listen to on the regular though, 3/5.

8. XXX Funk- "i like my funk X-rated like i like my sex/i like my sex X-rated like i like my funk/". a fun track to listen to with the typical sound that you'd expect to hear from FD. cool bassline and beat with good lyrics make this song worth your time to listen to, 3.5/5.

9. It Ain't Going Down- good scratches to start the song off nice with a good beat and another nice bassline. i really feel son's unique lyrical style and sound throughout this cd and it makes me look forward to the next song which is a good thing. "we ain't hearin it, havin it, it ain't going down" is how the chorus goes with creative story telling which he's proven to be good at, 3.5/5.

10. You're Dummin- starts off with a real funny skit which gives me a chuckle everytime i hear it. more laid back beats and a strange sample which isn't a bad thing cause it's a catchy track. nice beat, nice lyrics, and touches up on scenerio's which he refers to as people "dummin" or "trippin" for the average dude that can't catch on quick, 3.5/5.

11. Tomahawk Bang- not the greatest song on the cd. the beat really isn't that nice, and i really don't like listening to it, it's not bad it just doesn't do it for me, 2.5/5.

12. Superhoes- most probably know this from the "Friday" soundtrack. the best song on this cd next to Lost in thought. basically making stories about fucking all kinds of cartoon characters. but it's got an awesome beat and lyrical flow to it and it's very original, with a big sample on the hook makes this song a near 5 but not quite, 4.5/5.

13. Who Ra Ra- nice bassline which reminds me alot of the good old house of pain days. good track overall and a nice way to end a real good cd/real different cd, 4/5.

overall this cd would make a nice addition to anyone's rap collection...i'm not sure how well this cd sold but it deserved all the best...nice hip-hop shit and it's different...like i said any house of pain or cypress hill fan will like this guaranteed, my opinion, 7.5/10.

peace.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Funkdoobiest- Brothas Doobie
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2002, 11:43:08 AM »
damn, not much appreciation for this cd...that's cool though, if i'd known, i wouldn't of posted it, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

That_Cracka_J

Re: Funkdoobiest- Brothas Doobie
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 02:45:25 PM »
I've got all their CD's, but I've never really listened to them.  I will give this one a listen in the next few days.  Peace.