Author Topic: Daz Dillinger - Who Ride Wit Us  (Read 1208 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Daz Dillinger - Who Ride Wit Us
« on: July 24, 2002, 07:07:31 AM »
Daz Dillinger – Who Ride Wit Us

To act as a stop gap before his next solo album, Daz released this compilation in 2001, which is basically a collection of his best guest appearances and remixes, combined with a few new tracks. However it seems that Daz probably didn’t get permission to use most of these tracks, highlighted by the fact that the album doesn’t feature a track listing on the back cover but only inside the booklet. So how good is this compilation?

Disc 1

Get Cha Walk On Remix feat Xzibit and WC – this is basically a fred wreck remix of the track originally found on Xzibit’s Restless album. The original was a classic track, and surprisingly this remix does nearly manage to live up to the original. The beat is more funky than the original, and both WC and Daz add dope verses to the song. The hook is slightly changed with each rapper doing a bit of it, and Xzibit has a verse which starts the same but then turns into a new verse. Overall this is a really dope track and a great way to start this album. 4.5/5

I Don’t Know Why feat Lucc Lucciono – this track has a threatening type of beat to it which actually sounds pretty dope. However the track is spoiled by Lucc Lucciono who thinks he sounds like 2 Pac, and spends all of his verse trying to rap like Pac which just sounds stupid. The hook to the track is pretty good and will stay in your head for a while. Daz drops some dope lyrics as ever and manages to save the track, although the reggae bit of the track is also surprisingly quite dope. 3.5/5

We Yell Hey Hoo feat C-Murder – this track has a dope beat which has quite a haunting singing section in the background at points in the song. However on this track Daz brings quite a varied performance with some of his lyrics sounding very forced as if they were written by someone else with a different rapping style than Daz. The hook is typical gangsta chant along and fits the track really well. C-Murder brings a quality performance, with some great lyrics and a flow which sounds great over this beat. Overall a pretty good track. 4/5

Hustlaz feat Young Bleed & Homeboyz – this track is produced by young bleed and has a sort of old school rnb feel to it like something that you would expect to be on the soundtrack to Shaft or something like that. Daz comes in with a dope performance, the hook really is quality and the other rappers on the track also come pretty dope, with typical west coast voices and flows. Overall a good track. 4/5

Crippin feat C-Bo – this track is a perfect combination of two of the west coast’s best independent artists. Mike Dean laces a quality beat, and the hook to this track is totally off the hook. C-Bo comes really dope on this track showing his obvious skills, with Daz flowing into him perfectly and providing another great lyrical performance. Overall this is a really dope track. 4.5/5

Here We Go Now feat Hit From Tha Lbc – this track has a beat which is actually relatively simple but sounds great because of the melody over the top of the drums. I have to confess that I had never heard of Hit before, but he really is a pretty dope rapper who brings a good performance to the table. The hook is good as most of the tracks on this album, and Daz puts in another dope performance to round off a great track. 4/5

Who Wants To Be A Dope MC feat Helter Skelter & Kurupt – from the title you were probably expecting a track which is pretty good lyrically, and although everybody puts in a good performance it is hardly a lyrical gangbang. Having said that though, the beat is slower than most of the other beats on the album and fits in with the rappers really well. But there is something missing on this track which stops it from being really dope which means that it just ends up being an above average track. 3.5/5

Don’t Be Foolish feat Snoop Dogg & Kurupt – this track really is straight DPG, with a great west coast beat from Snoop himself for everyone to flow over. Kurupt brings a typical great lyrical performance, and the way in which Daz flows into him and then Snoop into Daz really is something to marvel at. You can really see the chemistry between them, and it really does make this a dope track, obviously helped by the hook which is instantly memorable. Why don’t they all get back together and make a DPG album because it really would be so dope? 5/5

O/G To Me feat Scarface & Kurupt – this track has a very sinister beat courtesy of Mike Dean which immediately means that the song gets your attention. Scarface comes into the Dogg Pound topic matter with ease, and although I would prefer him being deep as he usually is, this is still a pretty dope performance. Kurupt does a strange rhyming scheme and shows his lyrical ability brilliantly on this track. Daz also puts in a pretty good performance to round off a dope track. 4.5/5

Clocc’n C Notes feat Made Men, Tray Dee, Kurupt & Soopafly – from the fact that this is a Daz and Soopafly joint production you know already that this track is going to have a dope west coast beat, and it sure does. This is another pure DPG track with all the rappers flowing into one another and bringing some great lyrical performances especially from Tray Dee and Kurupt as ever. Daz and Soopafly put in dope performances as well as do the Made Men, one of whom sounds a bit like Dr Dre. Anyway this is another dope track. 4.5/5

We Came feat E-40, Tha Clicc, Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg & Kurupt – another DPG track, which as the other were is really dope once again. Snoop brings his normal laid back flow and adlibs, Nate comes in with a typically first class hook, Kurupt and Daz rip up the mic, and E-40 and Tha Clicc also put in dope verses. Overall this is a really dope track and is easily one of the top three on the first cd if not the whole compilation. 5/5

What You Gone Do feat Doggys Angels – this track features a great laid back G-Funk beat courtesy of Blaqtoven which sounds more like something that Warren G would have produced for the Twinz or himself. The Angels actually come off really well which surprised me because some of their other stuff that I have heard has been average at best. Daz does the hook on the track which is pretty good and also comes in with a dope verse to add some male presence to this track. Overall this is another dope track on the album. 4/5
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

On The Edge of Insanity

Re: Daz Dillinger - Who Ride Wit Us
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 07:08:42 AM »
Disc 2

It Might Sound Crazy Remix feat Too Short – the first track on the second cd is one of the dopest tracks on the whole album. Battlecat lays down a dope beat, and the rnb vocal chorus and background bits really fit in perfectly with the beat and the song in general. Daz puts in another dope performance rapping about women which really is one of his specialities. In fact one of the few people who raps more about women than Daz is Too Short, who proves this by bringing a great performance, which I suppose we should expect from him considering how long he has been in the game. Anyway, for me everything about this song is just pure dopeness and it really is a classic track. 5/5

Your Love Is The Shit feat S.F.T.P – despite the fact that this track is produced by Daz and Soopafly, I really am not feeling this joint. Although Daz starts off with another good lyrical performance, S.F.T.P really are just your typical early 90’s sounding rnb group and after a while this track really does start to become boring, and is one that I normally end up skipping. 3/5

Aniamiz feat 3rd Tha Hardway – this track is produced by Daz and is basically a track about man eating women. The track has a great up tempo beat and the flows of both Daz and Hardway sound really pumped up on this track and they flow in and out of one another. The hook is pretty catchy and fits into the track perfectly. Basically this is a dope track. 4.5/5

Put The Monkey In It feat Soopafly – this track has a beat typical of the beats found on the Dogg Pound’s Dogg Food album and although the producer isn’t listed I assume that it is either Daz or Soopafly. Daz and Soopafly both put in good performances, flowing in and out of one another brilliantly. The hook is pretty good, and the topic of the track mixed with the dope beat make this another great track. 4.5/5

Westside & Eastside feat Eiht – this track has a great sing along hook, and Daz laces a dope beat for the two west coast veterans to flow over. MC Eiht comes dope as he normally does, and Daz puts in another good performance as he has throughout this album. Overall this is another good track off the album. 4/5

Bustaz feat Lil C Style, Legaci, Tray Dee & RBX – this track also appeared on the 19th Street Compilation and features a great G-Funk beat laced by Daz and DJ Aladin, which has a real edge to it. This track is about Bustaz as you could have probably guessed from the title, and everybody comes dope on this track especially Tray Dee and RBX who really are two of the best lyricists on the west coast. Dope track. 4.5/5

U Make Me Wanna Remix feat Usher – this is basically just a remix of the track which made Usher a success. This version features exactly the same beat as the original from Jermaine Dupri, and the only difference is that Daz comes in to drop two verses which actually sound really dope over this beat which I couldn’t really have seen before I heard this track. Usher vocals are actually pretty dope on this track and the inclusion of verses from Daz stops this track from becoming boring like the original did. A really dope remix. 4.5/5

Why Oh Why feat Warren G & Kurupt – Warren G laces a great up tempo beat for this track which for me shows that he really should do more production these days. Daz flows perfectly over the beat, as does Kurupt with some dope lyrics and Warren who comes in with a good verse. The hook is also really catchy featuring a vocal sample from I think Snoop which really fits in really well. Overall a dope DPG track which is amongst the best on the second disc. 5/5

Turf Stories feat Mac Shawn & Tray Dee – this track has a very bass heavy beat courtesy of C & H, and features some haunting vocals on the hook and at the start of the track. All the rappers basically rap about stories which have happened to them on their turf, with everybody coming with good lyrics especially Tray Dee who once again stands out lyrically. Overall a dope track. 4/5

Affiliated feat 3rd The Hardway & Woo – this track is basically a dirty south track with really heavy bass and a slow bounce feel to it. The track starts by shouting out all the prominent southern states, and then goes into the rapping of Hardway and Woo who contrast one another perfectly. Daz comes in with a surprisingly good performance over an unfamiliar style of beat, and overall this track is pretty good. However, there is something about this track which just sounds wrong although I cannot put my finger on exactly what it is. 3/5

Play Remix feat Jennifer Lopez – this is basically just a Mike Dean remix of Play by Jennifer Lopez, which is far as I am concerned can’t possibly be an official remix simply because some of the comments that Daz makes during the track. However, the song does actually sound much doper over the new beat, and the little interceptions by Daz fit in brilliantly and make this version much better than the original. Daz also drops in with a good verse to finish things off and make this track a dope one. 4/5

Fyde Ryde feat Sherm & Tex Mex – this track has a strange synth voice effect on the hook which does make it seem quite weird. Sherm and Tex Mex both sound a bit weird over the beat, seeming as if they would sound better over a more dirty south orientated beat. Daz puts in a good performance, but overall this track does sound a bit disjointed and therefore isn’t really all that good. 2.5/5

Do You Know What You Talkin About feat Young Wee – the final track on the compilation, and it certainly has a heavy beat courtesy of Done Deal Recordz, which both Daz and Young Wee flow over really well. The hook is pretty good and fits in with the beat perfectly which makes it pretty easy to remember. Overall a good track and a pretty good way to finish the album. 4/5

Overall I feel that this compilation really is a dope collection of some new tracks, some rnb remixes and some of Daz’s better tracks off compilations and guest appearances on other rapper’s tracks. The best tracks on the album are mainly the DPG tracks, although the Too Short Remix is for me the best track on the whole album, and the Xzibit remix also deserves a mention. However there are a few filler tracks, some of which are just plain average and you feel that some more new material could have been put on instead of these. However this album certainly shows that Daz really has made a big impact on the independent rap game, and although there are some average tracks there is enough good stuff spread over the two discs to warrant the purchase of the album. Although the first disc is probably slightly better than the second disc they are both great and if you want to buy your first Daz album then I would suggest that this is a good a starting point as any.

Overall: 8/10

verbalassaulta

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 07:59:18 AM »
damn i wonder why this album never got any attention...i cant find it anywhere..looks dope though

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 08:05:53 AM »
Yeah I know, I couldn't find it anywhere in the Uk, I had to buy my copy when I went over to America in February. Try getting it off of CdNow or Amazon or something like that because it is defintely worth it.

Pillow

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2002, 10:54:46 AM »
yea this CD is dazs and kurupts best so far...i can sell a copy to any one who cant get a hold of one for $5 plus shipping...

lbc213

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 01:20:09 PM »
Dope review I agree 100¨%

props

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2002, 08:59:52 PM »
tite reveiw i agree on alotta things and then not on sum like rtings 4 songz