Author Topic: Paris - Sonic Jihad  (Read 1235 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Paris - Sonic Jihad
« on: April 17, 2004, 08:44:04 PM »
Alright, I've been wanting to do a review of this for a while, and now I'm pretty bored, might do the Sleeping With The Enemy review I promised last August.
Paris has unleashed the most powerful album in years. His strong views and such have been missed in hip-hop. This album had a great buzz. Onto the track by track.

Ave Bushani -Skit      
Field Nigga Boogie - Funky track, alright way to start off the album.
Spit caps outta gats 'till the beast collapse?
With an eye for an eye, ain’t no time to play
With an eye for an eye - it’s the Amerikkkan way
Do it big see the jig split wigs of foes
Bust shots at these pigs - nigga dig the flow and
Hear us all say “power to the people” combined
Hold court in the streets ‘till these pigs comply
Niggas got no choice but to ride or die
Put this beast on it’s back - genocide’s the plight, we bring the

Raw shit
Not the best, but a good track. 4/5

Sheep To The Slaughter - Easily one of the best songs on the album. It basically calls out the hypocricy of those who support war, but won't bother fighting it. "The only ones who wanna scrap ain't never deplored". 5/5
Spilt Milk (w/Capelton) - Reggae/dancehall flavored beat and chorus, but P doesn't slow down the political lyrics:
Now tell me how many devils prone - to do me wrong
Try to fit they mittens on - my provalone
The radio‘ll never play it - we never heard
They only love us killin niggas, and slangin birds
Guerrillafunk.com - we keep it bomb
Give the people what they want - with every song
With raw shit we keep it mannish - don’t get it twisted
And motherfuck these cowards plans - we keep upliftin’
 Great track, 4.75/5    
Tear Shit Up (w/Dead Prez) - Dope collab with dp. Both tear the dope beat to shreads. 4.5/5      
Freedom (w/Dead Prez) - Good track, but should have just had the remix on the album. 4/5 for the OG track.      
Ain't No Love (w/Kam) - Fucking amazing track. Kam comes on, sounding better than ever. Paris slips in some subliminal disses to other artists in the industry. Nice beat and lyrics, on of the best on the album. 5/5      
Lay Low - One of the top Paris tracks of all time. I'd definetly put it up against his earlier work. He comes off mad as hell, and works out well. 5/5      
Life Goes On - Alright track, probably the one I listen to the least. Hook & beat don't go along with each other well. 3.5/5      
You Know My Name - Another mad as hell track, very strong. 5/5      
Evil  -  A bit of a conspiratist's track. Paris acts as the evil figure at the head of things, controlling people's minds and so on. He pulls of the concept great. 5/5
AWOL - A song about being in the army, incredible story-telling. I believe that Paris has some sort of cousin or something in the army, perhaps where he got the inspiration from. 5/5.      
Agents Of Repression - Skit        
What Would you Do? - If you havent heard this, I won't spoil it. Just check it out and be amazed. 5/5.    
How We Do? - Funky track, not bad but less than other tracks. 4/5.        
Freedom (The Last Cell Remix - w/Dead Prez and Public Enemy) - Just incredible, Paris dead prez and Chuck D on one track, how could it be bad? All tear this incredible beat to pieces. Great way to end the album. 5/5

Conclusion. 4.75/5.

Great beats, lyrics, concepts, flow, etc..... Check it out unless you're a beer-guzzling American who kept bragging about how "We" got Saddam, knowing you had nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 08:45:07 PM by Lincoln - La Illaha Illalah Muhammadar Rassulullah »

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Diabolical

Re:Paris - Sonic Jihad
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 12:44:20 PM »
Nice review Lincon :)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 07:54:56 PM »
Nice review Lincon :)

I'll flip a Ras line:

Compliment me all you like, just spell my name right, that's L-I-N, C-O-L-N.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Diabolical

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 12:21:43 PM »
Sorry Lincoln ;)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 08:30:38 PM »

Paris

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 07:16:02 AM »
good review man ;)

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 06:31:28 PM »
Hey was "Tear Shit Up" produced by Battlecat? I swear I also hear Kokane in the hook.

Yeah Lay Low is tight. That's the one that sounds like a Dre beat. That shit hits hard as hell.

That whole album is tight. It's cool to hear someone come hard like that and tell shit how it is. That balsy style of rap seems to have died with the falling off of Public Enemy, Ice Cube and Ice-T but Paris is doing his best to keep it alive. That take no prisoners style of rhyme was what got me into hip hop in the first place.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 07:54:09 AM »
Hey was "Tear Shit Up" produced by Battlecat? I swear I also hear Kokane in the hook.

Yeah Lay Low is tight. That's the one that sounds like a Dre beat. That shit hits hard as hell.

That whole album is tight. It's cool to hear someone come hard like that and tell shit how it is. That balsy style of rap seems to have died with the falling off of Public Enemy, Ice Cube and Ice-T but Paris is doing his best to keep it alive. That take no prisoners style of rhyme was what got me into hip hop in the first place.

Nope, whole album produced by Paris.

Paris

The Predator

Re: Paris - Sonic Jihad
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 09:20:01 AM »
Nice review. But Paris can do alot better. Some of the songs were constructed just right and hold your attention others just didnt fit in. Only if Paris and the bomb squad had got together back in the day :o

prince

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 07:51:38 PM »
I was not really feelin this album

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 12:13:35 PM »
Tight review Lincoln, I was sleeping on this album for ages, but picked it up a couple of weeks ago, and its a real dope album. Probably my least favourite of his albums, but still refreshing to see that hes still putting out quality material, and fighting the same wars he has always fought.

broken_sword

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 05:19:55 PM »
well-written review. i like sleeping with the enemy and the devil made me do it more (as they incorporate a darker sound), but sonic jihad is definitely better than the lackluster unleashed.

Controver$y King

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 04:59:14 AM »
I was feelin this album heavy....That track with him and Kam is crazy....anybody kno who produced it ?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 08:43:27 PM »
Tight review Lincoln, I was sleeping on this album for ages, but picked it up a couple of weeks ago, and its a real dope album. Probably my least favourite of his albums, but still refreshing to see that hes still putting out quality material, and fighting the same wars he has always fought.

It's definetly not his best, but I wouldn't call it my least fave. That's definetly going to Unleashed.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 08:43:59 PM »
I was feelin this album heavy....That track with him and Kam is crazy....anybody kno who produced it ?

As previously mentioned, all tracks produced by Paris.

Paris