Author Topic: Saudis to cut oil prices to help Bush  (Read 206 times)

smerlus

Saudis to cut oil prices to help Bush
« on: April 19, 2004, 11:33:42 AM »
Saudis said to boost oil output

No. 1 oil exporter will reportedly increase production before election in effort to help Bush.
April 19, 2004: 7:09 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN) - A top Saudi official has assured President Bush that his country will increase oil production to lower gas prices before November to help the president's re-election prospects, according to a broadcast report Sunday.

Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward, discussing his new book on the run-up to the Iraq war on CBS' '60 Minutes,' said Prince Bandar bin Sultan, the Saudi ambassador to the United States and a long-time friend of the Bush family, has given the pledge that "certainly over the summer, or as we get closer to the election, they could increase production several million barrels a day and the price would drop significantly."

Earlier this month, the Saudi ambassador publicly said his country wants to stabilize world oil prices because of the effect a price spike might have on economies around the world, including Saudi Arabia. He did not link the effort to the U.S. election.

Record-high gas prices have become an issue in the presidential race between Bush and the presumptive Democratic nominee, Sen. John Kerry.

Kerry has criticized Bush for not doing more to bring high prices under control, while the Bush campaign has run ads noting that Kerry once supported a 50-cent per gallon increase in the federal gasoline tax, which would have meant even higher prices.

Amid concerns that plans by OPEC to cut oil production could raise prices even further, Prince Bandar went to the White House April 1 to meet with National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and to deliver a message to Bush from Crown Prince Abdullah, the de facto Saudi ruler.

Afterward, he told reporters that Saudi Arabia is committed to heading off any shortages in the world energy market.

"We will not allow shortages in the market because that will hurt the world economy," he said. "Saudi Arabia does not live on the moon. When the world economy gets hurt, we get hurt also."

He also said that the president and the crown prince "have been in touch on this subject for a while now."

"Both leaders feel strongly that higher energy prices have a negative impact on the world economy and on the recovery of the world economy," Prince Bandar said. "We will not allow shortage of the markets of oil in the market to increase the prices."

The ambassador said Saudi Arabia would like to see the price of oil, which now tops $33 a barrel, to be between $22 and $28 a barrel.

OPEC has said it plans to cut production by as much as 1 million barrels per day in April, which would further increase prices. However, Saudi Arabia, as OPEC's most influential member and largest producer, could thwart those plans.  

source: CNN.com
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 11:34:40 AM by smerlus »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Saudis to cut oil prices to help Bush
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 11:58:30 AM »
disgusting.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 12:17:28 PM »
WE DIDNT GO TO WAR FOR OIL, or did we?

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 12:31:42 PM »
disgusting.

I thought lower oil prices were a good thing?

Of all the things they could be, disgusting is probably last on the list.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 02:35:49 PM »
disgusting.

I thought lower oil prices were a good thing?

Of all the things they could be, disgusting is probably last on the list.

morcon, it's disgusting how hard the saudis lick bushs balls .. maybe because they are afraid.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 02:36:15 PM by 7even the Harbinger »
No, it's not a sin

smerlus

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 02:54:55 PM »
people are mad if we bomb arabs and people get mad if we befriend arabs....i don't understand the problems with this board....it just boils down to ignorant hate for the US

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 02:58:33 PM »
people are mad if we bomb arabs and people get mad if we befriend arabs....i don't understand the problems with this board....it just boils down to ignorant hate for the US

laughin my ass off @ you callin other ppl ignorant, youre posts often belong to the most ignorant and you fuckin know it & want it
No, it's not a sin

smerlus

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 03:11:55 PM »

laughin my ass off @ you callin other ppl ignorant, youre posts often belong to the most ignorant and you fuckin know it & want it

shhhhhh not many have noticed that  8)

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 04:41:42 PM »
So you were whining about how your economy "Str8 depends" on America.

Something good happens to the American economy.

You get your panties in a tight little bunch.

I don't get it.

Woodrow

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 08:36:37 PM »

7even the Harbinger you got served!!!!!!!!

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 07:02:50 AM »
[insert random pic]
7even the Harbinger you got served!!!!!!!!

fuckin weirdo.

if youre referring to your previous post, which is the most logical thing I can think of, even though it's not that logical either - I "get my panties in a tight little bunch" because I'm on a complete Hell NO!! with Bush being the leader of the USA or anything else for that matter. If Bush gets help from any side in any way to win the election in november and being re-elected, I'm like  Fuck that. >:(.
Other than that, the fact that our economy depends on yours doesnt imply that it's always good for our economy if yours is helped.

Besides... dont be like "hell yea ... I made it! I sonned the greatest person on wcc!! The one and only Harbinger doesnt reply!! YEAA" if I dont reply... because.. sometimes I just think what youve said isnt worth a reply.. you saying "why dont you go to iraq as a human shield" would be a good example for such times.
No, it's not a sin

smerlus

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 07:07:35 AM »
i guess now It's On  ;D

willie_d

• 'G'
  • You ready? Here come the pain!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 07:35:38 AM »
Everything is allowed when it comes to reelection.
Even getting tight with the Saudi government, which harbors the entire Bin Laden-family. But hey, Bush senior has close friends among the Bin Ladens. So close, they even had dinner in New York during the 9/11 attacks.
I'm telling y'all: George Bush junior is a threat to this world. It's bigger than you and I can imagine.
The only way you can fuck with me, is in a orgy.

smerlus

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 07:51:24 AM »
Everything is allowed when it comes to reelection.
Even getting tight with the Saudi government, which harbors the entire Bin Laden-family. But hey, Bush senior has close friends among the Bin Ladens. So close, they even had dinner in New York during the 9/11 attacks.
I'm telling y'all: George Bush junior is a threat to this world. It's bigger than you and I can imagine.

was that a Haiku?