Author Topic: Eminem - The Eminem Show  (Read 4992 times)

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Eminem - The Eminem Show
« on: May 25, 2002, 04:14:21 PM »
Heres my review of "The Eminem Show":

Track One - Curtain Up (Intro)
Just curtains opening and footsteps walking on a stage...your basic intro.

Track Two - White America
This track is one of the best on the album.  Eminem expresses what he feels about the US, and how he feels about life in general.  The beat has great bass, and is very catchy.
Harmany's Rating: 4.5/5

Track Three - Business
In a nutshell...if Batman and Robin could rap...this would be their first single.  The track's beat is decent, but nothing too special.  Eminem raps about him being a mainstream white rapper, and comes from a "Batman" point of view.
Harmany's Rating: 3/5

Track Four - Cleaning Out My Closet
This track is very deep, and Eminem reaches deep down.  He raps about his childhood, and especially about his mother.  My favorite line is "When Ronnie died, you said it should've been me/Well guess what?  I am dead...dead to you as can be!".  This song is one of the best on the album by far.
Harmany's Rating: 5/5

Track Five - Square Dance
The first thing you like when the song comes on is the incredible beat.  The beat is very good, but I do not like how Eminem talks like he's on a mixer.  He throws many punches at Canibus, and some are pretty funny.  The beat is amazing, but I don't like the lyrics too much.
Harmany's Rating: 3.5/5

Track Six - The Kiss (Skit)
Eminem has an unloaded gun, and is waiting outside a club with his friend in a car.  He see's Kim kissing the bouncer, gets out, and it leads right into the next track.

Track Seven - Soldier
The beat isn't that great, but the lyrics are good.  Eminem raps about guns, killing people, thugs, gangsters, and other things of the sort.  This is a decent track, but nothing special.

Track Eight - Say Goodbye Hollywood
This track is pretty good, and I liked it as soon as I heard it.  The beat is nice, and Eminem is rapping about his rap life, and how he would feel if he left it all.  This track is pretty tight.
Harmany's Rating: 4/5

Track Nine - Drips (Featuring Obie Trice)
Obie Trice and Eminem rap about sex, bitches, and AIDS.  They both come from a perspective as if they had AIDS, and the beat is slow yet nice.  Pretty decent track, but not that great.

Track Ten - Without Me
The first hit off the album, and is nothing like the rest of the album as well.  This track is very catchy, and mostly everyone is bobbing their heads to it.  Catchy song, but nothing like the rest of the album.

Track Eleven - Paul Rosenburg (Skit)
Paul calls Eminem (as usual), and tells him to stop bringing his gun outside of his house.  This is some funny shit.

Track Twelve - Sing For The Moment
This is very tight, yet deep song.  This song is a remix of "Dream On" by Aerosmith, and Em does a great job with it.  He talks about kids of America, and fucked up familys.  Deep stuff, and this track is tight.

Track Thirteen - Superman
Eminem is featuring the girl who is on all his previous records, the girl in "Drug Ballad".  This track is nothing special, and I didn't really like it.  The beat isn't too hot, and the lyrics arn't "Eminem Style".
Harmany's Rating: 2/5

Track Fourteen - Hailie's Song
This is definatly a first for Eminem.  Eminem is not rapping, he's singing!  Yes, he actually uses his singing voice on this one.  He raps about his daughter, and how she is one of the only great things in his life.  The track is directly dedicated to Hailie, and he does a good job with it.

Track Fifteen - Steve Berman (Skit)
This track is so fuckin funny!  Eminem walks into his office, and when Steve is going to complement him, Em pulls out a gun a shoots him.  Very funny shit!

Track Sixteen - When The Music Stops (Featuring D12)
This track is definatly tight.  All the D12 crew is on it, and they give their views on how the rap life treats them, and what would happen if they left.  I personally like Kuniva's verse myself, but all of them came great.

Track Seventeen - Say What You Say (Featuring Dr.Dre)
A very hot track.  Dre disses the hell out of Jermaine Dupri, and Eminem disses Canibus a little as well.  Timbaland comes on at the end, and tells JD to "Suck his dick".  This track is very hot, and has a tight beat as well.

Track Eighteen - Till I Collapse (Featuring Nate Dogg)
This track is very very tight.  Eminem raps about how he has to hold on when he believes he can't anymore.  This track is deep, and Nate helps out greatly with his vocals in the chorus.  The beat is hot, and the track is one of the best.
Harmany's Rating: 5/5

Track Nineteen - My Dad's Gone Crazy (Featuring Hailie Jade)
Yes, Hailie is actually on the song.  She isn't rapping or singing, but she says in the chorus "I think my dad's gone crazy!".  Even though Hailie is on the track, Em doesn't hesitate to bite his toungue.  He raps again how Hailie is the most important thing in his life, and how he couldn't survive without her...but in a very different way.

Track Twenty - Curtain's Close (Outro)
This is funny as hell.  Ken Kaniff walks out onto the stage, tests the mic, and sings his own version of "Without Me".  He says "Guess who's back...back again...Ken is back...tell some men.  Rub my back...rub my back", and so on.  Very funny, but I don't rate skits.

All and all, I was very impressed with this album.  Eminem came deep, crazy, and funny very well.

Harmany's Rating of "The Eminem Show": 9.5/10
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

That_Cracka_J

Re: Eminem - The Eminem Show
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2002, 06:31:21 PM »
Great review man...but I liked Superman.  It was a different Em kinda flow, but I liked it.  Overall, I'd probably say a 9/10.  

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 05:09:54 AM »
Thanks Cracka.  I really did not like Superman, I didn't like the beat as soon as I heard it.  But, people got different views and such on different tracks.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 05:27:13 PM »
Im not really a big Eminem fan but this is a sick album. Definatly better than his first two........4.5/5
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

.:R-E-L:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R-E-L...comin w/ that punk rap!  
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 10:06:00 PM »
i def. liked superman....i jus gotta disagree wit u on that one....

o ya...and til i collapse...i felt that big clapping shit or loud THING in the beat took away from the good stuff of the song but overall not bad
Straight Outta Muthafuckin So. Kaliforn-i-a
909 805 310 323 213 818 661 949 714 609 415 619 562

Smooth

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2002, 04:55:48 PM »
dope review homie!...the only thing i would change is what you gave "Business" i would give it a 4.5/5...

Peace
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Murrow

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2002, 08:52:46 AM »
I think "Sing For The Moment" is classic.  Not cause of the beat or chorus, but cause of the lyrics.

All the songs are tight.  "Drips" is just nothing special.

Still gotta listen more before I rate this.

That_Cracka_J

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2002, 05:42:08 PM »
Eminem - The Eminem Show

1.  Intro
2.  White America...Heavy, loud beat.  He expresses views about the U.S. and life experience.  He's really feelin' the lyrics he's spittin'.  4.5/5
3.  Business...Pretty simple beat.  Em's flow is decent.  Weak chorus.  3.5/5
4.  Cleaning out my closet...Production fits the lyrical content, flow, and emotion perfectly.  You can feel where he's coming from on this one.  5/5
5.  Square dance...Good head noddin' beat.  Tight lyrics and catchy hook.  4.5/5
6.  The kiss
7.  Soldier...Boring production, but decent lyrics.  2.5/5
8.  Say goodbye to Hollywood...Nice song about life in the spotlight as a famous person.  4/5
9.  Drips...Em and Obie Trice rap from the perspective as if they have AIDS.  Very tight hook and great story.  This track grows on you the more you play it.  4.5/5
10.  Without me...Doesn't really seem to fit on the album.  Sounds like it's off of Marshall Mathers LP.  Lyrics are funny, but the beat is too uptempo.  3.5/5
11.  Paul
12.  Sing for the moment...Very deep track about broken homes and people who blame music for violence.  Perfect chorus.  A+ production.  5/5
13.  Superman...Different type of flow for Eminem.  He rides the track well and has some great lyrics.  4/5
14.  Haillie's song...Eminem sings for the first two verses and he sounds great.  Real emotional song about how much he loves his daughter.  He tops it off with a tight rap in the third verse.  5/5
15.  Steve Berman
16.  When the music stops...Track features D12, so you only get one Em verse.  Average track.  3/5
17.  Say what you say...Fairly simple production, but it goes well with the lyrics of the song.  Dr. Dre puts down a great flow as both of them finish each others lines.  4/5
18.  Til I collapse...Best production on the album.  Em comes with some tight, raw lyrics.  Nate Dogg lays a perfect hook over the track.  5/5
19.  My dad's gone crazy...Features his daughter, Haillie for the chorus.  Beat gets repetitive, but the contents of the lyrics are decent.  For the song title, I expected crazier lyrics.  3.5/5

OVERALL...9/10

Eminem produced most of the tracks on this album himself and he does an amazing job.  The beats fit the lyrics in each track perfectly.  He took time to perfect lines in each verse to reflect how he really feels.  His musical and lyrical content has grown a lot since his last LP.  It is a very personal album.

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2002, 05:47:52 PM »
nice to see im not tha only one that thinks white america is a great joint.  An song 4 tha moment is classic,  that last verse in one of tha realest verses i can think of

.:R-E-L:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R-E-L...comin w/ that punk rap!  
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2002, 08:27:37 PM »
I think "Sing For The Moment" is classic.  Not cause of the beat or chorus, but cause of the lyrics.

All the songs are tight.  "Drips" is just nothing special.

Still gotta listen more before I rate this.

word....
Straight Outta Muthafuckin So. Kaliforn-i-a
909 805 310 323 213 818 661 949 714 609 415 619 562

kuniver

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Going For A 7th!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2002, 08:31:34 PM »
Best songs on the album are:
Everything except DRIPS and SOLDIER...
"I smash mics like cornbread, you can't kill me I was born dead"- Big L (RIP)

That_Cracka_J

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2002, 05:24:22 PM »
I know soldier isn't a good song, but I can't believe that nobody likes "Drips"....I didn't like it that much when I first heard it, but damn, I think that song is tight as hell now.

Pillow

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2002, 10:50:48 PM »
damn this is the best album i have ever heard, besides all eyez on me. this is most def a classic. m&m is one of the best lyricist to bless us all in the game. and lol @ rel not licking m&m, prolly likes 112.......lol na jk man i am playing. i give this album **** and a 10+ fo sure. and i feel soilder is the best song on there, along with my dads gone crazy
peace

..::Pillow::..

verbalassaulta

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2002, 06:40:34 AM »
how's come no one likes business????  I totally disagree with everyone on white america....its sooo annoying he says white america like 100 times and its so bad i've never listened to the whole song yet the same with superman he just keeps repeating himself, but the rest of the album is dope however.....9/10

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2002, 12:18:22 PM »
I definitely would gave Superman higher than a 2. I think it's way better than Drips and Soldier.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE