Author Topic: Jadakiss - Kiss Tha Game Goodbye  (Read 627 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Jadakiss - Kiss Tha Game Goodbye
« on: July 22, 2002, 09:30:39 AM »
Jadakiss – Kiss Tha Game Goodbye

After two successful albums as a member of the Lox, Jadakiss has decided to go solo for this album whilst the Lox take a gap before recording their next album. Apparantly the late Notorious BIG said that Jada was his favourite rapper and he tipped him for greatness, so could Jada live up to that billing on this album, and produce an album to match his obvious ability?

Intro

Jada’s Got A Gun – the first real track on the album, and thankfully it is not an update of Aerosmith’s Jamie’s Got A Gun. The track features an average beat by Swizz Beatz, which is actually quite a hard beat, and although Jada puts in a pretty dope performance there is something lacking in this song which means it ends up being just above average. 3/5

Show Discipline feat Nas – the beat on this track by Mahog is a really dope up tempo beat which certainly stays in your head for a while after you first hear it. Jada puts in two dope verses, Nas comes in with a good verse and the hook rapped by both of them together is pretty memorable. All this adds together to make a dope track. 4.5/5

Knock Yourself Out – this track is a Neptunes production and maintains their normal style of beat, with women making suggestive noises in the background as in many of their beats. Jada raps about women on this track, and puts in some dope verses, although it is sometimes hard to work out exactly what he is rapping about. The hook, although not one of the normal Pharrell singing hooks, is still pretty dope, and overall this track is pretty dope, and you can see why it was the second single from the album. 4.5/5

We Gonna Make It feat Styles – this is the track that features the beat by the Alchemist which led to all the controversy after it was discovered that he had sold the same beat to both Jada and Ras Kass. I personally think that it could have sold this beat to anybody and they would have sounded dope, but the exchange of lines between Jada and fellow LOX member Styles really is the highlight of the album, and combined with a dope hook which flows perfectly with the beat this track is pure fire. 5/5

None Of Y’All Betta feat Sheek & Styles – well this is basically a LOX track, rapping about their position in the game. The beat by DJ Premier as probably could have guessed, is really dope, and combined with some excellent scratching during the track and between the vocal samples on the hook, you certainly cannot complain about the musical backdrop for this track. Although Jada and Styles come off pretty dope, with Styles coming in with a classic line:
“I’m like De Niro and Pacino so they call me Paniro”
Sheek lets the side down with a pretty weak verse. However there is enough else in this track for Sheek not to spoil it too much, and it is still a pretty dope track. 4/5

Stick Yourself Skit

I’m A Gangsta feat Parle – this track is where the quality of the album starts to drop a bit. The subject really is totally played out, and Jada doesn’t really need to persuade us that he is a gangsta in order to get respect. The beat is pretty average, the hook is just so tacky, and Jada doesn’t really put in a very good performance lyrically on this track. Overall this track really is just plain average, if not a little below average. 2.5/5

Nasty Girl feat Carl Thomas – a song produced by Timbaland and featuring Carl Thomas, well that sounds like a great recipe for a dope track. Not!! Timbaland provides a below average beat from somebody claiming to be one of the best in the game, and the hook by Carl Thomas really is pure “lets get this played on national radio with a poppy chorus”. Jada tries his best to resurrect the track with some pretty good lyrics, but it would have taken an amazing performance from him to make this track dope and therefore it’s the second disappointing track in a row. 2.5/5

Put Ya Hands Up – this track was the first single off of the album, and always struck me as quite a strange choice for the first single. The beat by the unknown producer Wayne-O is a bit too simple for my liking and doesn’t really do much to draw you in towards the track. The hook is a parody of Jay Z and really is quite funny when you think about it. Jada does pretty well lyrically on this track and overall it is just an above average track. 3.5/5

Jay Jerkin Skit

On My Way – this track has a pretty hard beat courtesy of Swizz Beatz, and although it is an entire song about bitches it is still a dope track. The hook is quite catchy, mentioning various states. Jada raps about his women all over America, and comes in with some really funny lines about some of the women. I am really feeling this track, and it is certainly a return to the quality of the tracks nearer the start of the album. 4/5

Cruisin feat Snoop Dogg – the beat on this track by DJ Shok does actually sound like quite a west coast orientated beat, which Jada surprisingly flows over really well. As the title of the track suggests this is actually a great song for cruising in your ride. The hook is nice and smooth, Jada puts in a good lyrical performance on his two verses, and although Snoop just puts in an average performance it is nice to see him on this track. Overall this is a pretty dope track. 4/5

Kiss Is Spittin feat Nate Dogg – this track samples the same track the Warren G sampled for Regulate back in 93. Therefore you know the beat is going to be pretty dope although E.Mccaine Edition doesn’t really do as much with the sample as Warren managed to. Jada once again flows well over a more west coast type of beat, and the only real disappointment is that Nate Dogg isn’t really used as well as he could be, simply bringing a near identical representation of the hook on the original I Keep Forgettin song that the song samples. Other than that this is another good track. 4/5

Fuckin or What? – another song about bitches with another hard beat by Swizz Beatz, which is basically a part two to On My Way. However this song is actually better than that track, mainly because the production is more varied on this track, and the hook is better. Jada does another good job rapping about women and puts in another good lyrical performance to make this another dope track. 4.5/5

It’s Time I See You feat Sheek, Styles, Eve, Drag-On, Infa-Red & Cross – this is basically a Ruff Ryders group track, over a good beat by Just Blaze, which I find a bit strange considering Jada’s beefs with both Jay Z and Beanie Sigal. This basically underlines what the Ruff Ryders are all about, but the problem is that most of the rappers really are just average and therefore the track does tend to drag on (no pun intended) and just gets boring after a while. The funniest part of this track is when Eve comes in and raps “suck my dick bitch”, I mean I know Eve can seem a bit like a man but this is just going too far. Anyway, this track is just average. 3/5

What You Ride For feat Fiend, Yung Wun & Eightball – this track definitely has a bit of a Dirty South feel to it, with it being produced by and featuring Fiend, alongside Yung Wun and Eightball, who make three southern rappers on this track. The problem is that this track is actually quite boring again, and this whole Ride or Die mentality that the Ruff Ryders take is starting to get boring. Also Jada just sounds out of place on this track and overall it is another average track. 3/5

Uh-Huuh feat DMX – finally we get a decent Ruff Ryder collaboration, with DMX teaming up with Jada over a dope Rated R beat. This track really displays a lot of anger from both rappers, DMX comes with his normal hyped up flow, and Jada actually continues it on with hard raps. Jada disses Beanie Sigal rapping “I had to stop eating red meat cause I eat too many Beanie Macs”. The hook is dope and quite catchy and overall this all comes together to make my second favourite track on the whole album. 5/5

Feel Me – this is actually a skit produced by the Alchemist who puts down a simple beat for Jada to drop this blueprint of the world over. This track is really dope, which Jada showing his lyrical ability, and showing a great ability to tell a story which I feel could have been used more on the actual tracks on the album. 4/5

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

On The Edge of Insanity

Re: Jadakiss - Kiss Tha Game Goodbye
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 09:31:33 AM »
Keep Ya Head Up feat Ann Nesby – from lyrical freestyle to definitely the most commercial track on the album. The hook from Ann Nesby really is pure pop, and the Mahog production is also very up tempo and quite radio friendly. Jada gets political on this track and although I would like to see some deeper shit from him this really is the way to do it. Jada could drop this type of stuff over much better beats than this and then it would be dope, but in this form it just sounds contrived and commercial. 2.5/5

Charge It Skit

Overall this album was a very mixed bag. There is no denying that Jada has some obvious talent as a rapper, which we have seen before from his time in the LOX. However, on this album the production was very varied from great beats like on We Gonna Make It and Uh-Huuh to mediocre at best beats on Nasty Girl and Keep Ya Head Up. This means that the album was very up and down, and throughout it seemed as if Jada was experimenting with loads of different styles to see which suited him best. However this means that the album doesn’t flow very well, and on a 21 track album that just means that it becomes a chore to listen to it all the way through. I mean when will rappers start realising that we would much rather have 12-14 tracks of dopeness than 10 dope tracks and 10 filler tracks. Also, I would have liked to have seen more of Jada by himself on this album cause there are a lot of guest appearances some of which really are just unnecessary. So for me this album could have been so much better but even in it’s current state it is an album that is worth buying especially if you are a fan of the LOX and other groups like that, and there are enough dope tracks there to make it at least listenable.

Overall: 7.5/10

Jome

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 04:59:26 PM »
I didn't feel this album, but what I did feel is the new Styles joint.
Why dont you do a review of that too, so we can see how they measure up to eachother.
Good review.

teecee

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 04:17:03 AM »
Two overrated rappers with too overhyped albums that failed to live up to expectations.  Styles' album is actually a lot better, as he does not go for the commercial beats and keeps it a little more grimy (although his album is very repetitious).

Jada's album, i seriously thought was garbage...all over the place, one of the most disappointing albums EVER!  The wackest had to be Kiss is Spittin.......

At first i gave this album 3/5, but now i would give it a 2.5.  Styles gets 3/5, maybe MAYBE 3.5 at best,,,,,,

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 08:46:09 PM »
Two overrated rappers with too overhyped albums that failed to live up to expectations.  Styles' album is actually a lot better, as he does not go for the commercial beats and keeps it a little more grimy (although his album is very repetitious).

Jada's album, i seriously thought was garbage...all over the place, one of the most disappointing albums EVER!  The wackest had to be Kiss is Spittin.......

At first i gave this album 3/5, but now i would give it a 2.5.  Styles gets 3/5, maybe MAYBE 3.5 at best,,,,,,

Fuck you , TeeCee

I give Jada and Styles 4 mics a piece, so blow me little boy.
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

teecee

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 05:17:25 AM »
Uh, i am supposed to blow you because YOU gave them 4 mics a piece?  Maybe statements like that is why everyone on this board thinks you are an idiot.  I could give a fuck what you gave them.....and you calling me little boy?  How old are you?  How big are you muthafucka?  I hate getting into beef on this board but it is idiots like you that say stupid shit.    

You seem to be the "little boy" as you always got something immature to say.  If you got  criticism, try being a little more constructive and maybe people would take you seriously.  I feel sorry for you as obviously you are an dumbass who starts beefs on the internet cuz you get that ass whooped on the streets......

Oh ya, if you gonna tell everyone who hated Jada's and Styles' albums to blow you, there is gonna be a long muthafuckin line.  

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2002, 11:14:34 AM »
^damn, computer screens make some trip hard^

about the album...i thought it was nice for the most part...definately above average, and i think that the 7.5 you gave it was accurate...between 3.5-4 mics,peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :